Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liver1977
    • By liver1977 18th Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    liver1977
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook Flight - October 2019 advice needed please
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook Flight - October 2019 advice needed please 18th Sep 19 at 10:00 AM
    I booked a return flight with Thomas Cook at the weekend for an upcoming holiday in October. Since then I have become aware of their financial situation and the real possibility of them ceasing to exist as a company. Innocently I booked using my debit card the cost totaling £1100. I have checked the invoice and it states the flights are not ATOL protected. I am now very worried there is a real possibility I will lose all my money if they go bust before our holiday. I am looking for some advice please on what if anything I can do? the flights are non refundable. Hopefully all being well their rescue deal will be successful.
Page 1
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 18th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 10:21 AM
    No, all is not lost. Although debit cards do not carry the same protection as credit cards, there is a voluntary scheme in the UK to refund monies paid for services not delivered. This means if the worst comes to the worst you will get your money back, and hopefully everything will be resolved before you travel in any event
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 18th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 406 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 18th Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    The losing bondholders have been paid out due to US bankruptcy protection and Fosun, the Chinese part-owners, have deep enough pockets if they want to commit.

TC (ie essentially Fosun) has a big decision to make about whether to sell its airline and de-integrate its tour operations or to invest massively in expanding its air operations to match Jet2 and similar companies. The former option looks like the low-risk strategy but do they have the expertise in that very crowded market?

Meanwhile their (profitable) hotel operation is expanding.
    • 0779mike
    • By 0779mike 18th Sep 19, 2:22 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    0779mike
    • 18th Sep 19, 2:22 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 2:22 PM
    My understanding from what I read yesterday is that there is meeting on Friday 27th Sept when the creditors (including bondholders) will be asked to vote on the new financing arrangements. If accepted TC will continue but this is certainly not a done deal yet.

Filing for bankruptcy protection in the US may help but bondolders will want certainty that the CDS (loss insurance) will pay out and that will be decided by a committee of bankers and others.

Or have I missed something ?

As someone who is booked to travel on a package holiday on 17th October I am keen to know.

PS. I don't want my money back, I want my holiday
    • Westin
    • By Westin 18th Sep 19, 2:49 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    Westin
    • 18th Sep 19, 2:49 PM
    • 18th Sep 19, 2:49 PM
    Is it worth keeping to just one Thomas Cook thread? Otherwise pertinent information might get overlooked.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6048380
    • liver1977
    • By liver1977 23rd Sep 19, 8:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    liver1977
    • 23rd Sep 19, 8:54 AM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 8:54 AM
    I have been in contact with Lloyds Bank regarding claiming my money back through the chargeback scheme. As mentioned previously I booked with my debit card and the flights are unfortunately not ATOL protected. Lloyds were very unhelpful which I expected. They stated after quite a while on the phone have I contacted the company to which I stated there is no one to call? eventually they advised me to state all in a letter with details of the debit card used, correspondence they are no longer in operation and copies of invoices. I took travel insurance out last week they stated it covers this scenario. Should I claim from the insurance company and chargeback from the bank or try the bank first?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 23rd Sep 19, 9:10 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 23rd Sep 19, 9:10 AM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 9:10 AM
    Just ask them to start a Section 75 chargeback.
    • Flood2013
    • By Flood2013 23rd Sep 19, 9:33 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Flood2013
    • 23rd Sep 19, 9:33 AM
    Thomas Cook debit card chargeback scheme
    • 23rd Sep 19, 9:33 AM
    CAA site says refunds likely to take 2 months! I paid for our package holiday next week, by debit card. Tried to use charge back scheme with Nationwide and told tough wait for ATOL. Any other suggestions, as I need refund to book another holiday!
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 23rd Sep 19, 9:34 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 23rd Sep 19, 9:34 AM
    • 23rd Sep 19, 9:34 AM
    Apply for a credit card with 0% for a while, and use that.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 23rd Sep 19, 9:39 AM
    • 3,073 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    bagand96
    CAA site says refunds likely to take 2 months! I paid for our package holiday next week, by debit card. Tried to use charge back scheme with Nationwide and told tough wait for ATOL. Any other suggestions, as I need refund to book another holiday!
    Originally posted by Flood2013
    Unfortunately ATOL will take however long it takes. One report I saw suggested Thomas Cook had a million forward bookings. Even if only 25% of those are UK ATOL protected then thatís 250,000 claims to be processed.

I know it doesnít help you in terms of booking another holiday. But you will see your money again. Eventually.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 23rd Sep 19, 9:48 AM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Just ask them to start a Section 75 chargeback.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    For a debit card transaction...???
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 23rd Sep 19, 9:52 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    bradders1983
    For a debit card transaction...???
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Alright Mr Pedant, just a "chargeback" then
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 23rd Sep 19, 12:02 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    Mrsn
    I was in this position 2 years ago when monarch went bust, 10 days before our holiday. It could take easily a month at best but longer usually, unfortunately unless you have any other means to pay for an alternative holiday it’s pretty much certain you won’t be going away as planned
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 23rd Sep 19, 4:32 PM
    • 39,461 Posts
    • 163,551 Thanks
    silvercar
    Is it worth keeping to just one Thomas Cook thread? Otherwise pertinent information might get overlooked.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6048380
    Originally posted by Westin
    I was tempted to merge the threads into one, but then was wary as the order is determined by date/ time so questions answered without quoting the question won't appear directly after the question.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • gingerdad
    • By gingerdad 23rd Sep 19, 4:38 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    gingerdad
    Who are you going to request a chargeback from Thomas cook no longer exist? its a hard lesson but you're sadly going to be at the back of the queue. ideally next time take out a credit card, by the flights pay it off straight away and you get the extra coverage.

keep trying with Lloyds
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 24th Sep 19, 11:58 AM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 3,875 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Alright Mr Pedant, just a "chargeback" then
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Itís not being a pedant, in times like these people need accurate information to pursue their bank with.
    Telling people to go ahead with Section 75 chargebacks on a debit card wonít get them very far
    • Westin
    • By Westin 24th Sep 19, 7:15 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    Westin
    I was tempted to merge the threads into one, but then was wary as the order is determined by date/ time so questions answered without quoting the question won't appear directly after the question.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Fair point but unfortunately we now just have multiple TC threads with similar questions being asked. New posters are also just opening new threads, not it seems even reading the existing ones.

I would hope the use of the ‘Quote’ button would link potential advise and answers to a specific question. I have to be honest I just gave up yesterday trying to respond as the multiple threads with similar comments became quite confusing. Worldtravellers initial thread, then MSE Callum’s ones were probably sufficient.
    Last edited by Westin; 24-09-2019 at 7:17 PM.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 24th Sep 19, 10:44 PM
    • 39,461 Posts
    • 163,551 Thanks
    silvercar
    Fair point but unfortunately we now just have multiple TC threads with similar questions being asked. New posters are also just opening new threads, not it seems even reading the existing ones.

I would hope the use of the ĎQuoteí button would link potential advise and answers to a specific question. I have to be honest I just gave up yesterday trying to respond as the multiple threads with similar comments became quite confusing. Worldtravellers initial thread, then MSE Callumís ones were probably sufficient.
    Originally posted by Westin
    Agree, with you.

I am just wary of merging the thread started by a newbie into a large thread in case they never find their post again. I'm very conscious that people are posting here at a stressful time.

Maybe when the news has died down a bit, I will get the hoover out and sweep all the TC threads together.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • RS2OOO
    • By RS2OOO 24th Sep 19, 11:25 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    RS2OOO
    Unfortunately I'm a culprit for starting another thread too.

Others had asked my question on the main thread but due to the volume of posts they ended up by the wayside, so I started a new thread, and quickly got helpful answers.

I guess if a thread title is specific enough it will only attract responses from those who suspect they can answer, or those in a similar situation, whereas important questions easily get missed on a huge thread.

Agree about it being a stressful time silvercar and appreciate your empathy. People aren't talking about saving £10 per Month on their energy bills, these are large sums that have taken years to save up for important and sometimes once in a lifetime family occasions. £7000 in my case.

By the way, welcome to delete this post as its not relevant to the OPs issue which has already been answered.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 25th Sep 19, 5:48 AM
    • 8,950 Posts
    • 14,743 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Agree, with you.

I am just wary of merging the thread started by a newbie into a large thread in case they never find their post again. I'm very conscious that people are posting here at a stressful time.

Maybe when the news has died down a bit, I will get the hoover out and sweep all the TC threads together.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Perhaps all the Thomas Cook threads could be put into their own sub-board, like the volcano one from the 2010 event or the Crown Currency one?

Would tidy everything up...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4 (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    2019 YTD £1073.85 (£700 offset), Oct £100.00

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

1,241Users online

Martin's Twitter