Car Hire - Spain - deposit refunded early?

Hi All,

Strange one and new the forum, just looking to know what to expect over the next few days, this was my first time hiring a rental car overseas.

I arrived and was told I needed to place a deposit which they will hold until return of the vehicle and I was aware of this, I also had to pay a young drivers fee which was unexpected, we booked through easyJet who specified we would not have to pay any additional fees because of age as I am over 23, something I now know is incorrect but is a story for another time.

I was told that my deposit would be refunded when the car is dropped off, however I've taken a look today and the whole deposit and young driver fee has been refunded, there is no transactions of any kind showing on my account.

Should I expect this to be taken again? Bit confused as all question I can find are that the deposit hasn't been refunded!

Any explanation would be great, thank you!

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    It's usual to take a deposit in the first place. it's usually just an authorisation(they have the possibility to take it within a certain amount of time).
    Why concern yourself about it? Hopefully you purchased standalone car hire excess insurance in case of an accident.
  • Just a bit confused, the money had left my account but its now back and no transaction is showing, the young driver charge should have been charged instead of a deposit.

I return the car in 1 day, most people complain it takes too long to get the deposit back so don't understand why I have it back before I return the car, if anything its a good thing!
  • Ujelly wrote: »
    Just a bit confused, the money had left my account but its now back and no transaction is showing, the young driver charge should have been charged instead of a deposit.

I return the car in 1 day, most people complain it takes too long to get the deposit back so don't understand why I have it back before I return the car, if anything its a good thing!

Let us know how it goes tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport