Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Sep 19, 12:28 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 34Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Small supplier Eversmart Energy stops trading - MSE News
    • 6th Sep 19, 12:28 PM
    Small supplier Eversmart Energy stops trading - MSE News 6th Sep 19 at 12:28 PM
    Eversmart Energy, a small energy supplier with about 29,000 domestic customers, has stopped trading. If you're a customer, your energy supply will continue as normal – here's what else you need to know...
    Read the full story:
    'Small supplier Eversmart Energy stops trading - what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 11
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 19th Dec 19, 2:07 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    matelodave
    It's now 19th December and the cheque came through the letterbox this morning

So from a stiff complaint on 16th, their response on 17th and the resulting cheque on 19th. Pretty impressive really

I only gave them my Eversmart account number and address and they had obviously all the info at their fingertips because the account was spot on. Which begs the question, why hasn't it been sorted it out already unless they are just hanging onto our money to aid their cash flow

It may be worthwhile sending them your own snottogam if you are still waiting
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • ivanleo
    • By ivanleo 19th Dec 19, 2:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    ivanleo
    There is no money to hang onto, the money doesn't exist. The way the system works is that once Utilita has worked out the costs of honouring all credit balances, it asks OfGem for a Last Resort Supply Payment, for example see this claim made by Octopus in relation to Iresa credit balances: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/last-resort-supplier-payment-claim-octopus-energy

The cost is then collected via the electricity distribution networks, meaning that everybody pays via their standing charge.

The faster Utilita works out the figures and submits its request for a SOLR payment, the faster it gets paid back, so there's no particular incentive to delay the process.
    • bufferz
    • By bufferz 4th Jan 20, 3:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bufferz
    So today I received a bill for electricity from utilita from 18/9 to 30/9...£27.21 still waiting for them to send a final bill, why are they asking for a partial payment and not just a final?
    • ivanleo
    • By ivanleo 4th Jan 20, 4:29 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    ivanleo
    So today I received a bill for electricity from utilita from 18/9 to 30/9...£27.21 still waiting for them to send a final bill, why are they asking for a partial payment and not just a final?
    Originally posted by bufferz
    Well have you switched away?
    • bufferz
    • By bufferz 4th Jan 20, 10:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bufferz
    Yep, on the 10th October, that's what's confusing me, surely they'd do one up to that date...
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 5th Jan 20, 10:18 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    vanilla8
    I’ve received a bill from utilita for my usage up to my switch away in October, however no sign of any details from my eversmart account.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 5th Jan 20, 10:21 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Yep, on the 10th October, that's what's confusing me, surely they'd do one up to that date...
    Originally posted by bufferz
    Well, you are talking about you owing them money, you have two options. Either contact them with actual readings for the period you expect them to bill you for or just pay the current bill and let things sit.

Even if it takes them months to come back to you for the remainder, it's still money in your pocket and not theirs.
    • Lotak
    • By Lotak 6th Jan 20, 12:08 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Lotak
    I'm still yet to receive any bill from utilita. I'm not loosing sleep over it.
    Already switched to a different supplier that went smoothly so, all is good.

It looks like they took on something they were ill-equipped for.
    Current Debt (excluding mortgage) - £10.6k
    Reducing £500 / month.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 6th Jan 20, 12:11 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Mister G
    I've not heard a thing from Utilita since the Welcome letter. I moved away from them back in September, still owing Eversmart about £150.

I suppose they'll catch up one day.
    • DL1995
    • By DL1995 8th Jan 20, 7:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DL1995
    Finally received email from Utilita they are to pay me a cheque £229.13, hurray you would think.
    Only I calculate£379.66 is due. Emailed back with details of direct debits taken and spreadsheet calcs of my usage how values were arrived at VAT etc. Received email today saying £229.13 Cheque sent case is now closed!

Suggest you check your refund amounts it seems Utilita are mathematically challenged, shall we say!

• tg99
    • By tg99 8th Jan 20, 10:34 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    tg99
    Finally received email from Utilita they are to pay me a cheque £229.13, hurray you would think.
    Only I calculate£379.66 is due. Emailed back with details of direct debits taken and spreadsheet calcs of my usage how values were arrived at VAT etc. Received email today saying £229.13 Cheque sent case is now closed!

Suggest you check your refund amounts it seems Utilita are mathematically challenged, shall we say!

Originally posted by DL1995
    So have you had to raise a formal complaint to challenge the £229 figure given they’ve said ‘case closed’? I’ve not had email from Utilita yet requesting amount I owe Eversmart (reckon I’m prob c£200 in debit) but am fully expecting the amount they calculate to be too high.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 9th Jan 20, 9:14 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    JohnB47

Originally posted by DL1995
    Hopefully you will have been able to send them copies of your last bill from Eversmart and your first bill with the company you moved to after Utilita. These will confirm the start and finish readings for your contract with Utilita.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 13th Jan 20, 2:00 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Stratus
    Finally received a couple of bills from Utilita after leaving them for Symbio on 17th October.

Their bill from 1st to 17th October looks OK given that it's based on my submitted readings (147kWh).

Their bill from 18th to 30th September is definitely not OK. They used an estimated opening reading giving my consumption of 535 kWh. Their opening reading would have been about the beginning of August. My actual consumption, based on actual reading taken on 18th September gives 153 kWh.

No mention of credit from Eversmart.

Ho Hum!
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 13th Jan 20, 2:37 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Finally received a couple of bills from Utilita after leaving them for Symbio on 17th October.

Their bill from 1st to 17th October looks OK given that it's based on my submitted readings (147kWh).

Their bill from 18th to 30th September is definitely not OK. They used an estimated opening reading giving my consumption of 535 kWh. Their opening reading would have been about the beginning of August. My actual consumption, based on actual reading taken on 18th September gives 153 kWh.

Ho Hum!
    Originally posted by Stratus

Did you supply that 18th Sept reading to Eversmart and get a statement from them?
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 13th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Stratus
    Did you supply that 18th Sept reading to Eversmart and get a statement from them?
    Originally posted by JohnB47
    I think the website was no longer available then. I can't imagine not doing so if it was.

I've just calculated my own final bills with Eversmart up to 17th September taking account of credit and the final direct debit taken on 10th Sept and I left with a credit of £41.98.

My total bills with Utilita from 18th September to 16th October come to £60.23 (inc VAT) so, offsetting the Eversmart credit, I owe them £18.25.

So do I pay this to Utilita now or wait for them to issue a correct bill, which I've requested?
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 15th Jan 20, 2:24 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    HHarry

Ho Hum!
    Exactly the same here. The estimated figures for the 18th Sept are wildly out - nearly a £110 in Utilita’s favour, and my £21 credit has disappeared.

All meter readings supplied as requested.

I do have a bit of a black hole in that the last bill I have from Eversmart covers to the 8th September - so I have 10 days to pay for; but that’s more than covered by my credit.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 15th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    JohnB47
    Exactly the same here. The estimated figures for the 18th Sept are wildly out - nearly a £110 in Utilita’s favour, and my £21 credit has disappeared.

All meter readings supplied as requested.

I do have a bit of a black hole in that the last bill I have from Eversmart covers to the 8th September - so I have 10 days to pay for; but that’s more than covered by my credit.
    Originally posted by HHarry

Have you been asked for readings by Utilita? The only contact I've received from them is the 'Welcome' and the 'Sorry you're leaving' messages.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 15th Jan 20, 3:25 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Stratus
    I've paid Utilita the £18.25 I calculated I owed them.

I would have liked to have had them issue a correct bill first but their previous ones called for payment of £129 by the 16th January (tomorrow), even though I only received them on the 13th.

They don't appear to have looked at any data from Eversmart and their estimate for September was simply ridiculous. I use less than 10kWh per day but their assumption was that I was using over 40kWh per day.

Calculating my correct bill was slightly complicated by Utilita having the two rates (to compensate for no standing charge) and also those two rates changing on the 1st October.

Fortunately I was taking meter readings at the important dates of the transfer, the important one being the 18th September. At that time I think Eversmart had been taken down so I couldn't give my reading to them and my Utilita account hadn't been fully set up yet so I couldn't give it to them either. But me having that reading on the 18th means I could finally calculate what I owed for the final period of Eversmart between their last invoice and their transfer of customers to Utilita on the 18th. Customers of failed energy suppliers shouldn't have to do this when transferring to a SOLR.

I now need to hear from Utilita confirming they are happy with my calculations and the payment I've made. We'll see.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 15th Jan 20, 5:03 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Stratus
    OFGEM's letter explaining their decision making process in appointing Utilita as the SOLR makes for some interesting reading regarding the honouring of credit balances with Eversmart.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publications/159777

There has been no credit balance shown on my bills from Utilita despite the following in OFGEM's letter:

"Honouring account balances

As per our SoLR guidance, Ofgem operates a safety net through the SoLR process which protects consumers’ credit balances.15 We recognise that a key concern for customers of Eversmart (both existing and past customers who may still have been owed money by Eversmart) would be whether their credit balances would be honoured. Indeed after ensuring continuity of supply, protecting consumers’ money (existing and past customers), was one of the most important factors in our decision.

Of the submissions we received from suppliers, a majority – including Utilita– confirmed they would honour the credit balances for Eversmart’s customers. Given the implications for overall consumer confidence, as noted above, we also considered whether suppliers would honour the credit balances of former Eversmart customers who had switched away but were still due a credit refund. A majority – including Utilita – confirmed they would honour these credit refunds."
    It appears that Utilita were not intending to use the industry levy to recover their costs in honouring the Eversmart credit balances:

"Use of the industry levy

Utilita waived its right to make a levy claim for costs associated with onboarding Eversmart’s customers. Utilita also agreed to waive its right to make a claim for the costs of honouring credit balances, unless the indicative costs provided to potential SoLRs were significantly understated. Utilita agreed to absorb costs up to a significantly higher cap than the costs indicated at the time, and as such (subject to the caveat above) it is unlikely they will make any claim, hence reducing costs to the wider industry and consumers overall."
    So far Utilita appear to be choosing to ignore credit balances as it will be in their financial interest to do so.
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 15th Jan 20, 6:16 PM
    • 564 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    HHarry
    Customers of failed energy suppliers shouldn't have to do this when transferring to a SOLR.
    That’s the bit that concerns me. MSE’rs are a pretty clued up bunch. We’ve both been overcharged by about £100, but have spotted it and have the figures to challenge it - goodness knows how many won’t.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

5,393Users online

Martin's Twitter