Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kh4nieee
    • By kh4nieee 31st Aug 19, 1:50 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kh4nieee
    0 WOW
    Restaurant staff sending inappropriate messages to my partner. Where do we stand legally?
    • 31st Aug 19, 1:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Restaurant staff sending inappropriate messages to my partner. Where do we stand legally? 31st Aug 19 at 1:50 PM
    Apologies if this is sent to the wrong section. Mods, feel free to relocate this if that's the case.

So my partner has been receiving inappropriate flirtatious messages to her phone from a mystery admirer. It then came to light that this person works at a popular restaurant in our local area and brags to her about how he has seen her with her friend and claims to have even delivered food at our own doorstep.

For the past 2 years, he has been sending such messages on and off and he has been attempting this again, knowing full well that she is married and she has informed this to him. All conversations have been archived and recorded.

I recently went to the branch manager and his non co operation was astounding, by prompting me to take this to a legal route as this was beyond his realm of responsibility. Shocking right? At the end of the conversation, he acknowledged who it was and claimed that he will talk to his Senior Manager, a claim that I don't trust.

Before I go all guns blazing legally and make my first attempt of communication to the company, what legal stand do we have if at all? Breach of Data Protection Act? Stress and inconvenience?

I'd like to know where we stand in all of this before making moves.

Cheers
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 31st Aug 19, 1:56 PM
    • 19,884 Posts
    • 50,492 Thanks
    elsien
    • 31st Aug 19, 1:56 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 1:56 PM
    Not the restaurant's responsibility - not sure why you think it is. You're not going to get compo from them, so don't bother trying that route.

Your partner has two options.
    They can block the number or change their own number.
    If they feel they are being harassed they can report to the police for them to deal with.

I'm not in the least bit shocked that the manager has decided they cannot police their employees conduct out of work time unless they've had the phone number from the restaurant records.

How did the mystery admirer get her number in the first place? Did she give it to him?

All seems a bit mountain/molehill to me over a few texts.
    Also to add, it's not up to you to go in "all guns blazing" legally. You're not the complainant, your partner is.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 31st Aug 19, 2:02 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:02 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:02 PM
    Hi,

how did the admirer get you wife's number, was it from an order made for a delivery?
    Y'all take care now.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 31st Aug 19, 2:09 PM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:09 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:09 PM
    She will have the option of blocking the number.
    • kh4nieee
    • By kh4nieee 31st Aug 19, 2:24 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kh4nieee
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:24 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:24 PM
    If data has been extracted from the restaurant and onto his personal phone, then how can it not be the restaurant's responsibility? As already mentioned, he has delivered at the house before so there's that. Now I can't remember if we called the restaurant directly or of we used a service like Just Eat, complicating the matter in terms of accountability.

I can confirm she did not give her number to him.

My partner will indeed be the complainant but his unhealthy obsession, coupled with an infant in the house is causing stress and inconvenience to everyone living there.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 31st Aug 19, 2:36 PM
    • 10,990 Posts
    • 130,739 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:36 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:36 PM
    Block the number on your partners phone.

Or

Change your partners number
    Sun, Sea

• frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 31st Aug 19, 2:37 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 5,778 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:37 PM
    Hi,

easiest option seems to be, block the number, cook at home, which may save you money eventually in legal fees.
    Y'all take care now.
    • ttoli
    • By ttoli 31st Aug 19, 2:37 PM
    • 786 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    ttoli
    I would rather question why they haven't blocked the number already ??
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 31st Aug 19, 2:40 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,787 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:40 PM
    • 31st Aug 19, 2:40 PM
    I think that as you have now complained to the restaurant they will mark his card. Whilst they are not liable for his actions if he has obtained the phone number from their records of orders they will be aware he is on dodgy ground and will warn him off.

To be on the safe side I would also block his number.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 31st Aug 19, 4:49 PM
    • 17,923 Posts
    • 21,852 Thanks
    KeithP
    I don't understand what "with an infant in the house" has to do with the receipt of text messages.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 31st Aug 19, 4:52 PM
    • 4,034 Posts
    • 7,120 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    It's a good job I'm not a suspicious and cynical sort of person......

If you don't find joy in the snow,
    remember you'll have less joy in your life

...but still have the same amount of snow!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 31st Aug 19, 4:55 PM
    • 31,559 Posts
    • 80,901 Thanks
    Mojisola
    So my partner has been receiving inappropriate flirtatious messages to her phone from a mystery admirer.

For the past 2 years, he has been sending such messages on and off
    Originally posted by kh4nieee
    And she still hasn't blocked his number?

Are you sure that she isn't enjoying his attention?

Or enjoying you racing around trying to sort it out?

She's the one getting calls on her phone - why is it down to you to resolve the matter when she could easily do it by blocking his number?
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 31st Aug 19, 5:45 PM
    • 13,312 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    A suggestion for your partner...

If she has a reasonable belief that this person obtained her number from a food order, then the problem does become the restaurant's responsibility and she could contact the office of the Information Commissioner to seek a solution.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 1st Sep 19, 9:45 AM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Another wind up thread started by allegedly a "newbie".

As an aside, why do people start a sentence with "so"? Some political pundit was being interviewed on TV the other day, and every response was started with "So".
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 1st Sep 19, 10:11 AM
    • 31,559 Posts
    • 80,901 Thanks
    Mojisola
    As an aside, why do people start a sentence with "so"? Some political pundit was being interviewed on TV the other day, and every response was started with "So".
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    In speech, it's usually one of those "give me a few more seconds to think what I'm going to say" things; in written comments, heaven knows.
    • kh4nieee
    • By kh4nieee 1st Sep 19, 10:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kh4nieee
    So what?

Thanks to the ones who have offered sensible solutions. Really appreciate it.

No thanks to the ones not being helpful. Your word snobbery shenanigans won't get you very far.

Martin will be ashamed for housing a forum for such bigots.

But that's none of my business. I'm just a "newbie".
    • martindow
    • By martindow 1st Sep 19, 12:46 PM
    • 8,297 Posts
    • 4,859 Thanks
    martindow
    So, has your partner blocked the number yet?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 2nd Sep 19, 6:24 PM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 4,173 Thanks
    LadyDee
    So what?

Thanks to the ones who have offered sensible solutions. Really appreciate it.

No thanks to the ones not being helpful. Your word snobbery shenanigans won't get you very far.

Martin will be ashamed for housing a forum for such bigots.

But that's none of my business. I'm just a "newbie".
    Originally posted by kh4nieee
    Ah, bless. Toys, pram...
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 2nd Sep 19, 7:41 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 29,567 Thanks
    Slinky
    What has this thread got to do with UK holidays, days out or entertainments?
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 2nd Sep 19, 7:52 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 2,387 Thanks
    suejb2
    Number
    What has this thread got to do with UK holidays, days out or entertainments?
    Originally posted by Slinky

Itís entertaining us reading it.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

530Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter