Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rogertb
    • By rogertb 23rd Aug 19, 8:40 AM
    • 310Posts
    • 62Thanks
    rogertb
    0 WOW
    Organic meat
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:40 AM
    0 WOW
    Organic meat 23rd Aug 19 at 8:40 AM
    With a great deal of respect to my local butchers shops, (places I would prefer to buy beef chicken etc) how do I know if the beef, for example, is organic grass fed and 'local' with high welfare standards - they all say it is but one in particular always seems a bit 'dodgy', at least in the supermarket the packaging has the RSPCA label on it but the butchers don't have labels ?
Page 1
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 23rd Aug 19, 9:10 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    PLRFD
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:10 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:10 AM
    It’s all down to trust if you think one particular butcher is dodgy go elsewhere.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 23rd Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    • 5,360 Posts
    • 6,773 Thanks
    A. Badger
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:31 AM
    The word 'organic' isn't just scientifically meaningless in the context in which it is used by foodies but, even when applied to meat produced in accordance with the standards of the various schemes, it doesn't mean your food is locally produced. If that is what concerns you, you should ask your butcher where his meat comes from - which actual farm.

The RSPCA scheme, while better than nothing, has come in for some criticism in the past and, again, tells you nothing about how local the food is.

If your local butcher is serious about selling high quality meat he will welcome your questions as he wants a discerning customer who appreciates what he is trying to do. If he rebuffs you, you can draw your own conclusions!!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 23rd Aug 19, 10:33 AM
    • 31,717 Posts
    • 81,293 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 23rd Aug 19, 10:33 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 10:33 AM
    With a great deal of respect to my local butchers shops, (places I would prefer to buy beef chicken etc) how do I know if the beef, for example, is organic grass fed and 'local' with high welfare standards - they all say it is but one in particular always seems a bit 'dodgy', at least in the supermarket the packaging has the RSPCA label on it but the butchers don't have labels ?
    Originally posted by rogertb
    If the butcher is selling organic meat, the shop will be registered with one of the organic certification schemes and should be displaying their certificate.

If you have any concrete reasons for thinking the butcher is, say, passing off non-organic meat as organic, you can notify the certification body who will do an unannounced inspection.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 23rd Aug 19, 1:52 PM
    • 7,841 Posts
    • 15,899 Thanks
    Farway
    • 23rd Aug 19, 1:52 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 1:52 PM
    If your local butcher is serious about selling high quality meat he will welcome your questions as he wants a discerning customer who appreciates what he is trying to do. If he rebuffs you, you can draw your own conclusions!!
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Agree, I asked local butcher about free range chicken, told there is no demand so he doesn't stock them.

10/10 for honesty anyway
    • Mansard
    • By Mansard 23rd Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Mansard
    • 23rd Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    The best thing to do is never buy meat from supermarkets. Marks & Spencers would be the only exception to that, but always be prepared to pay more for higher quality meats from your local butchers. It is always worth it, even if you can't especially taste it.

Anyone who has ever bought meat from Tesco will probably know not to do it again. Their chickens don't taste like chicken at all. They taste like chemicals. Sainsbury's is not much better. Surprisingly, I would prefer ASDA to either of the aforementioned two as their meats actually taste like meat.
    Last edited by Mansard; 23-08-2019 at 4:22 PM. Reason: Grammar
    • rogertb
    • By rogertb 24th Aug 19, 9:40 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    rogertb
    • 24th Aug 19, 9:40 AM
    • 24th Aug 19, 9:40 AM
    That's what I wondered mojisola ... some kind of accreditation but proving they're cheating is impossible, I'll keep checking these places out and try an dget recommendations .... thanks to all for their responses.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 2nd Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 2nd Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    The best thing to do is never buy meat from supermarkets. Marks & Spencers would be the only exception to that
    Originally posted by Mansard
    Your sooooo right! Here is some video of Marks & Spencerís high welfare chicken enjoying all that high welfare that M&S charge through the nose for....
    https://youtu.be/hEhfdXAJa_Y
    • rogertb
    • By rogertb 2nd Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    rogertb
    • 2nd Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 5:26 PM
    Exactly what i was afraid of, sadly greed overrides everything
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Sep 19, 8:12 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 2,581 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Exactly what i was afraid of, sadly greed overrides everything
    Nothing to do with greed.... people are knowingly buying these uber cheap chickens BECAUSE they are cheap.
    • rogertb
    • By rogertb 8th Sep 19, 7:39 AM
    • 310 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    rogertb
    I meant 'greed' as in not willing to pay a fair price for a bird that's been reared with some thought to animal welfare, when you can buy a chicken for, sometimes, less than £4 the conditions of 'housing' and feeding must be horrific ... the farmers are greedy, the shops are greedy and the public, as you say, go for price.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 8th Sep 19, 9:09 AM
    • 7,841 Posts
    • 15,899 Thanks
    Farway
    I meant 'greed' as in not willing to pay a fair price for a bird that's been reared with some thought to animal welfare, when you can buy a chicken for, sometimes, less than £4 the conditions of 'housing' and feeding must be horrific ... the farmers are greedy, the shops are greedy and the public, as you say, go for price.

To be fair to General Public, some just cannot afford a "fair price" and have to buy the cheapest option or do without, others are honestly oblivious, not from lack of caring just lack of knowledge
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 8th Sep 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1,436 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    It's very difficult to prove where meat does or doesn't come from, as regular media exposes over the years have shown. Even though your local butcher might be an honest chap, others in his supply chain might not be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,458Posts Today

7,452Users online

Martin's Twitter