Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liney
    • By liney 22nd Aug 19, 4:50 PM
    • 4,893Posts
    • 8,248Thanks
    liney
    0 WOW
    Athens plus a beach holiday
    • 22nd Aug 19, 4:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Athens plus a beach holiday 22nd Aug 19 at 4:50 PM
    We are considering going to Athens next July/August for 4 days then spending another 7 or 8 at a beach destination next year. I've been to lots of Greek Islands, but never the mainland, so I'm just looking for some suggestions for nearby beach type resorts - we are taking our 16 year old son with us. Or alternatively, we thought we could fly to Zante or Corfu from Athens, then homewards?

Next question... flights to Athens from the UK all seem to have stops. Is it because I'm too far in advance and all the airlines are not advertising their flights yet, or should I not expect a direct flight from the UK? We are happy to go from the Midlands or Heathrow.

Any suggestions, or advice much appreciated
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 22nd Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    • 20,425 Posts
    • 121,684 Thanks
    maman
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:24 PM
    Sorry but can't answer your question about the air travel but have combined a seaside holiday with Athens.

Ours was a sightseeing holiday in October but we stayed in Tolon on the Peloponnese. It's about a 2 hour transfer across the Corinth canal. In the Tolon area there are many ancient sites like Epidavros and Mycaenae. We stayed a couple of days in Athens on the way back.

Although we just walked on the beach and used the restaurants in the evenings, it was obviously a seaside resort in high season.

I'm sure others will be able to give you more information.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 22nd Aug 19, 5:28 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 4,325 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:28 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:28 PM
    It will be too soon for most airlines to have released their flights for next August but if you look at this year there are a number of direct flights to Athens from the UK including Ryanair from STN/LTN, BA from LHR and EasyJet from LGW plus a few others.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 22nd Aug 19, 5:38 PM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:38 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 5:38 PM
    You could always get a ferry from Pireas to one of the islands,Agina or Poros for example.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • liney
    • By liney 22nd Aug 19, 8:01 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 8,248 Thanks
    liney
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:01 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 8:01 PM
    Thanks, I'll have a look at Tolon. I did think there must be direct flights, so pleased to hear that is the case.

My DH isn't keen the ferry idea, as it would mean and ferry, and then plane to get home so he feels it will drag out the outward journey, but an 'internal' flight is an option if we don't find somewhere on the mainland we like the look of.

Thanks so far.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 23rd Aug 19, 6:11 AM
    • 1,783 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    cubegame
    • 23rd Aug 19, 6:11 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 6:11 AM
    A couple of years ago we spent a few days in Athens before heading to the Peloponnese on a mini-road trip.

It's a lovely area to tour and see some great sights. Maybe consider that instead of wasting your time on a beach!

If you can't be convinced then Nafplio would be my recommendation. Lovely little town with nice beaches.

4 days in Athens might be a stretch too. It's a fairly grubby and run down city. Austerity has left it in a perilous state.
    • maman
    • By maman 23rd Aug 19, 9:53 AM
    • 20,425 Posts
    • 121,684 Thanks
    maman
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:53 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 9:53 AM
    A couple of years ago we spent a few days in Athens before heading to the Peloponnese on a mini-road trip.

It's a lovely area to tour and see some great sights. Maybe consider that instead of wasting your time on a beach!

If you can't be convinced then Nafplio would be my recommendation. Lovely little town with nice beaches.

4 days in Athens might be a stretch too. It's a fairly grubby and run down city. Austerity has left it in a perilous state.
    Originally posted by cubegame
    I liked Napflio too. It was a short bus ride from Tolon.

I agree about Athens too. I wouldn't stay there for four days particularly in the heat of summer.

If it doesn't have to be Greece liney you could very easily combine a beach holiday with sightseeing in Turkey. An obvious comparison would be Istanbul and then an internal flight (or one of the super coaches if you're feeling adventurous) to one of the beach resorts in the south. Alternatively you could go to a beach resort that is near to interesting sights or and ake day trips.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 23rd Aug 19, 1:06 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 23rd Aug 19, 1:06 PM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 1:06 PM
    Years ago we stayed in the beach resort of Mati, about 30 clicks outside Athens.

Nice enough place, no negatives.

The area was devestated by wild fires a couple or so years ago - but I would expect the Greek authorities to have restored a significant local tourist location since then.
    • moneysavvy35
    • By moneysavvy35 26th Aug 19, 7:23 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    moneysavvy35
    • 26th Aug 19, 7:23 PM
    • 26th Aug 19, 7:23 PM
    I found Athens to have a lovely beach...although it was private (you had to pay)....very hip and trendy (if thats what you are looking for) further afield you may find something a little more quiet.
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 27th Aug 19, 2:16 PM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 12,472 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    You could always get a ferry from Pireas to one of the islands,Agina or Poros for example.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    I would certainly recommend this. For a really relaxing beach break from Athens you could go to either of the ones suggested, but my choice would be Agistri, which is just across the water from Aegina. You can reach it by direct catamaran from Piraeus several times a day, or by boat from Aegina. It is small and peaceful but with accommodation, bars, tavernas, pools etc too.

Another alternative could be to get the bus to Rafina and take a ferry to one of the Cyclades such as Andros or Tinos. Both lovely places which we visited a couple of times back in our island hopping days.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

349Posts Today

5,559Users online

Martin's Twitter