Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyLGR
    • By AndyLGR 19th Jul 19, 6:46 AM
    • 226Posts
    • 80Thanks
    AndyLGR
    0 WOW
    TUI Complaint- where to now?
    • 19th Jul 19, 6:46 AM
    0 WOW
    TUI Complaint- where to now? 19th Jul 19 at 6:46 AM
    My son and his girlfriend recently went on an all inclusive 7 day holiday through TUI to Spain. When they got there the hotel pool was being renovated, basically it was a building site outside, all cordoned off as they were working on it. Lots of noise and dust making it impossible to relax in or use their facilities. After all who wants to holiday in a building site? They were not informed about these building works beforehand.

When they came back I suggested they complain to see if they could get any money back, as the place obviously wasn’t what they bought nor as advertised. So they used the online complaint form and sent them pictures and videos of the hotel.

TUI have responded and fobbed then off. Apologising for them not being aware of the work and in a nutshell they go on to say it’s a hazard of modern day hotels that are open all year round, as local authorities can sanction work like this at any time. They then have the cheek to sign off with the hope they’ll use TUI again in the future, they thank them for their feedback and there’s a polite request to ask them to fill in a customer survey.

So where now for this..... I have no experience of having to complain about a bad holiday in an effort to get something back. Has anyone here ever complained with TUI before? Should they be tenacious and redo another form? Should they write to their head office instead? Can they take this grievance to any of the travel agent controlling bodies? Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • malkie76
    • By malkie76 19th Jul 19, 7:03 AM
    • 5,709 Posts
    • 6,754 Thanks
    malkie76
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:03 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:03 AM
    They needed to lodge a complaint at the time, not afterwards. Just looks like they are trying to scam some money back (I realise this isn’t the case).

Further complaints won’t work, so I suggest a LBA then small claims, although loss of enjoyment isn’t really solid grounding.

Maybe try their twitter, and hope for something, but it will likely be a voucher towards a future holiday.
    Legal team on standby
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 19th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    Have you checked TripAdvisor reviews to see if anyone mentioned the building works before they arrived?

If for instance someone had mentioned them 2 weeks before you could use this to prove Tui must have known in advance and they should have notified them.

The more information they can put together the better.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 19th Jul 19, 7:36 AM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    Westin
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:36 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:36 AM
    What is the name of the hotel and when did they travel there?
    • AndyLGR
    • By AndyLGR 19th Jul 19, 7:46 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    AndyLGR
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:46 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:46 AM
    There’s plenty of stuff on trip advisor about the works with bad reviews from people that went in June. It was the Be Live Experience in Costa Adeje. They were there in June too.
    • AndyLGR
    • By AndyLGR 19th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    AndyLGR
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:27 AM
    Further complaints wonít work, so I suggest a LBA then small claims, although loss of enjoyment isnít really solid grounding.
    Originally posted by malkie76
    Whatís an LBA?
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 19th Jul 19, 8:28 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:28 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 8:28 AM
    TUI have responded and fobbed then off. Apologising for them not being aware of the work.....
    That attempt to bodyswerve doesn't stand scrutiny - unless TUI have no reps who cover the hotel ?

Unless they were deaf and blind they would certainly be aware of significant disruption on site.

I would be pointing that out to TUI, and asking them to explain why their reps neglected to flag this up, if indeed they didn't.

Did your son and ladyfriend complain to the reps on site - as mentioned above you really need to raise issues in resort as a first step ?

Incidentally (unless it has changed since I had reason to use it) under Spanish Law all hotels etc. are obliged to keep an official complaints book on hand for clients to register grievances.

They are reluctant to make this known, for obvious reasons.

The establishment is then obliged to address the complaint and make a response, although this can take time.

It is worth registering a complaint on a major issue - then there is a record on file when it comes to further action.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 19-07-2019 at 8:42 AM.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 19th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    z1a
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    Whatís an LBA?
    Originally posted by AndyLGR
    Letter Before Action.
    • AndyLGR
    • By AndyLGR 20th Jul 19, 8:34 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    AndyLGR
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:34 AM
    • 20th Jul 19, 8:34 AM
    That attempt to bodyswerve doesn't stand scrutiny - unless TUI have no reps who cover the hotel ?

Unless they were deaf and blind they would certainly be aware of significant disruption on site.

I would be pointing that out to TUI, and asking them to explain why their reps neglected to flag this up, if indeed they didn't.

Did your son and ladyfriend complain to the reps on site - as mentioned above you really need to raise issues in resort as a first step ?

Incidentally (unless it has changed since I had reason to use it) under Spanish Law all hotels etc. are obliged to keep an official complaints book on hand for clients to register grievances.

They are reluctant to make this known, for obvious reasons.

The establishment is then obliged to address the complaint and make a response, although this can take time.

It is worth registering a complaint on a major issue - then there is a record on file when it comes to further action.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    They donít recall there being any TUI reps there, although they did have a moan to the hotel desk to try and get some idea of a completion date (it wasnít completed by the time they left). But due to the building work they didnít hang around the hotel in the day, basically forfeiting the all inclusive side because it wasnít somewhere they felt they could sit and relax.

Iím just not sure where they can go now for this though.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th Jul 19, 9:20 AM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    They don’t recall there being any TUI reps there
    That doesn't sound right - we've had countless hotel package holidays with Thomsons/TUI and there has always been the service of a representative.

Where it's a big hotel with many TUI clients the reps can sometimes be dedicated to that establishment only, and reside there.

There's invariably some form of "Welcome Meeting" for all arriving guests, usually the following morning, and notices in the reception foyer to advise where and when you can meet the rep(s), as well as handouts on how to contact TUI in resort.

Anyway, apologies for digressing - my earlier point is that it is unreasonable for TUI to claim they were unaware of the building work at the hotel if their agents (reps) were performing their duties correctly. That just does not stand up to scrutiny.

I would be astonished if there was no rep service at the hotel in question, especially as it must be popular - it's being offered by Jet2 and Thomas Cook as well as First Choice/TUI.

Maybe a complaint to ABTA - but'll you'll need to make a strong case.

First question asked - was the complaint raised with the hotel management and/or TUI reps during the stay ?
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 20-07-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Jul 19, 10:52 PM
    • 6,835 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    TUI have greatly reduced their rep presence at hotels. Often all you get is a leaflet and contact number when they dump you on the transfer coach. If you're lucky there will be a folder at the hotel showing the trips available if you contact the office.
    The place I stayed this year had no rep attendance at all. They were available at set times at another hotel about 20 minutes walk away. Even the management of the apartments said they had very little contact from TUI and were expected to act as unpaid reps on TUI's behalf.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 20th Jul 19, 11:07 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 3,250 Thanks
    stoneman
    I've stayed that the Be Live Adeje, the pool is nowhere near the restaurant and bars that do the All inclusive service (there is a small station near the pool) so why couldn't they enjoy the all inclusive amenities? The Porto Colon beach is less than a minute away and Be Live have free beds on the beach for their guests.
    Sorry but this is just moaning after the event, you must complain AT THE TIME. Why on earth wouldn't you?
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 21st Jul 19, 7:21 AM
    • 1,779 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    cubegame
    I never understand people moaning about building works at a hotel. As long as it's not going on at silly o'clock what is the issue.

Who goes on holiday to spend time in a hotel?
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 21st Jul 19, 7:47 AM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    They donít recall there being any TUI reps there, although they did have a moan to the hotel desk to try and get some idea of a completion date (it wasnít completed by the time they left). But due to the building work they didnít hang around the hotel in the day, basically forfeiting the all inclusive side because it wasnít somewhere they felt they could sit and relax.

Iím just not sure where they can go now for this though.
    Originally posted by AndyLGR
    Even if a TUI rep didn't come every day as they did in the old days there is always a Notice Board and / or Book giving details of how to contact them.

If they didn't contact the rep at the time then they stand no chance of complaining now.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 21st Jul 19, 7:50 AM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 4,003 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Originally posted by cubegame
    Fly & flop.
    I do those holidays. Many Carribean holidays are very hotel oriented.
    I wouldnít do two weeks flopping, but I could easily do a week with only one trip outside.
    The hotel in off to the end of October is so enormous it sounds like a mini village in itself, we are there for 7 nights and their are 12 a la carte restaurants! 25 bars.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 21st Jul 19, 7:55 AM
    • 23,194 Posts
    • 62,684 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by cubegame
    Lots of people who go all-inclusive never set foot outside the hotel.

I agree with the other posters who say they should have contacted the rep.
    Even if a rep wasn't onsite I'm pretty sure there would have been clearly communicated methods of contacting one.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 21st Jul 19, 6:37 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Is this a serious comment ?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 21st Jul 19, 7:30 PM
    • 17,528 Posts
    • 13,663 Thanks
    hollydays
    They needed to lodge a complaint at the time, not afterwards. Just looks like they are trying to scam some money back (I realise this isn’t the case).

Further complaints won’t work, so I suggest a LBA then small claims, although loss of enjoyment isn’t really solid grounding.

Maybe try their twitter, and hope for something, but it will likely be a voucher towards a future holiday.
    Originally posted by malkie76
    Why not loss of enjoyment?
    A big part of the holiday may well have been lying round the pool and or swimming in it.
    If it was me I'd want at least half of my money back
    Last edited by hollydays; 21-07-2019 at 7:33 PM.
    • AndyLGR
    • By AndyLGR 21st Jul 19, 7:53 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    AndyLGR
    I've stayed that the Be Live Adeje, the pool is nowhere near the restaurant and bars that do the All inclusive service (there is a small station near the pool) so why couldn't they enjoy the all inclusive amenities? The Porto Colon beach is less than a minute away and Be Live have free beds on the beach for their guests.
    Sorry but this is just moaning after the event, you must complain AT THE TIME. Why on earth wouldn't you?
    Originally posted by stoneman
    Sorry mate, but people that pop up on threads with comments like this are one of the banes of this site at times. Totally unhelpful. So if youíve got nothing to say other than comments like you made then just donít bother, it just details the thread.

They went out every day as a result of the main pool being out of action which is why they say they didnít see a rep, (thatís if the hotel is covered by one at all). Iíve seen the videos they took, the noise, dust and disruption around the pool was horrific. Definitely not a place to be able to chill out with a drink or snack. Absolute no one books an all inclusive hotel where you can chill by the pool with drinks and snacks only to find that you have to sit in a building site all day.

They are a couple of 18 year olds who went there and maybe didnít know what to do, who knows. If theyíd told me before Iíd have advised them to find a rep if they could. But the videos they took show how bad it was, and the fact they werenít told about these building works beforehand and the experience they had should not in anyway mean they donít have a legitimate grievance when they get home.

Looking on trip advisor this week and it seems that a lot of other holiday makers had the same experience too.
    Last edited by AndyLGR; 21-07-2019 at 7:59 PM.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 21st Jul 19, 8:04 PM
    • 6,835 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Irrespective of the reason for them not contacting TUI while they were in the resort, they have greatly weakened their case. TUI can claim that had they be made aware of the problems they would have relocated them to a different hotel etc, etc. Whether or not that is true is impossible to prove one way or the other.
    TUI are not noted for their positive customer service, and will in all probability say they can do nothing because it wasn't raised at the time. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to get some form of compensation, particularly if there are TA posts from well before the time they visited complaining about the same problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,097Posts Today

5,653Users online

Martin's Twitter