Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kaybenson
    • By Kaybenson 18th Jul 19, 10:06 PM
    • 882Posts
    • 55Thanks
    Kaybenson
    0 WOW
    Milan Travel Suggestions!
    • 18th Jul 19, 10:06 PM
    0 WOW
    Milan Travel Suggestions! 18th Jul 19 at 10:06 PM
    Hello All,

Family is going to Milan for few days in August. Someone shocked me by saying that month is dry as shops close early etc

A colleague suggest having a day trip to Lake Como.

Anyone have further suggestion?

Thanks

Kay
Page 1
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 19th Jul 19, 9:30 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:30 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:30 AM
    You have posted in the section to report bargains, Pogofish, if he or she were around, would be telling you off but I won't! Yes, Milan can be quieter than usual as the population leaves because of the humidity.

Despite that, we enjoyed a long weekend there one August. A day trip to Lake Como is a good idea but many people take the train to the town of Como itself which did not wow me, much prefered Varenna which is on a different train line altogether but easy to reach from Milan Centrale. If you like train travel it is easy to do a day trip to Venice/Verona (Romeo and Juliet's balcony etc) or Vincenza, they are all on the same line.

It is also easy to get to Switzerland by train, we really enjoyed the town and lake of Lugano which is another easy trip to get out of Milan
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 19th Jul 19, 10:53 AM
    • 5,480 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:53 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:53 AM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 19th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    • 13,235 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 10:57 AM
    Milan is very close to Bergamo (the Ryanair Milan airport!) and the old town of Bergamo is an absolute gem. Best advice is to get there and just have a wander.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 19th Jul 19, 12:13 PM
    • 19,039 Posts
    • 8,042 Thanks
    richardw
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:13 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:13 PM
    Are you flying to BGY or Malpensa MXP?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • jimbo6977
    • By jimbo6977 19th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    jimbo6977
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    Monza is great for a day trip and not far at all, it's within the Milan conurbation.
    Superb park, massive palace, usually a load of swish cars to ogle (although they might be at the coast in August).
    • amberhen49
    • By amberhen49 23rd Jul 19, 4:21 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    amberhen49
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:21 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 4:21 PM
    Lake Como is stunning and within easy reach on the train. I'd second Bergamo as well. Many people just pass straight through using the airport but if you get chance to head into the town then I'd recommend that.

Venice is probably an option if you're just after a whistle stop tour. It's 2 hours 30 minutes on the fast trains from Milan (over 3 hours using the cheaper regional trains), so 5 hours out of your day with a return trip.

Still can't post links.

thelocal.it/20181205/best-day-trips-from-milan

I absolutely love Italy but unless you're heading to the beach or the mountains, then I'd always avoid Italian cities in August.
    • Kaybenson
    • By Kaybenson 23rd Jul 19, 9:00 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Kaybenson
    • 23rd Jul 19, 9:00 PM
    • 23rd Jul 19, 9:00 PM
    Are you flying to BGY or Malpensa MXP?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Malpensa Airport. Thanks
    • slinga
    • By slinga 24th Jul 19, 1:49 AM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    slinga
    • 24th Jul 19, 1:49 AM
    • 24th Jul 19, 1:49 AM
    Milan is very close to Bergamo (the Ryanair Milan airport!) and the old town of Bergamo is an absolute gem. Best advice is to get there and just have a wander.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002

Seconded.

Como Town is bleurgh
    A trip on Lake Como is like a trip on a boat anywhere.
    We hoped we see the Alps but couldn't.

Varenna is good.

BTW we weren't overly impressed with Milan.

The painting of the Last Supper is worth a visit but iirc you are limited to a 15 minute viewing and if like us a party of Americans pushed their way to the front of the queue and then spent 15 minutes at the front of the barrier taking photos even though photos weren't allowed again iirc then you might be disappointed by that visit.
    You have to book for this viewing.

If you are looking for a family run friendly restaurant in Milan then a must is Ristorante pizzeria One Way della Speranza.
    So good we went back twice.
    Try the linguine with seafood, you won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by slinga; 24-07-2019 at 2:28 AM.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 25th Jul 19, 7:36 AM
    • 5,763 Posts
    • 13,317 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I was in Milan at the start of September last year, and visited Monza as well as they had some motor races on at the Autodromo - was going to go this year but the NHS have blighted my holiday plans.

There's enough in the city to occupy you for a week I'd say, the Duomo is spectacular and the frescoes in the San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore church have to be seen. There are also loads of galleries covering both renaissance and more modern (c18 and c19) art. Of course if you don't like art that won't be of much interest.

There's also a shop where you can spend 2500 euro on a handbag if so inclined. And a Starbucks, by accident I walked past it on opening day (first Starbucks to open in Italy) and the queue was huge, crowds of people just looking at it and there were journalists with camera crews outside interviewing people coming out!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek. Home is where my books are.

5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 25th Jul 19, 8:03 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 1,942 Thanks
    bagand96
    A day trip to Lake Como is a good idea but many people take the train to the town of Como itself which did not wow me, much prefered Varenna which is on a different train line altogether but easy to reach from Milan Centrale.
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen
    Second this recommendation. From Varenna you can get the ferry to a couple of places on the lake, the ferries are frequent and easy to use. We went to Bellagio which was lovely.
    • Kaybenson
    • By Kaybenson 28th Jul 19, 9:13 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Kaybenson
    Thanks all.

Anyone know about their local public transport cost? Discount for children etc

Cheers
    • martindow
    • By martindow 29th Jul 19, 12:22 PM
    • 8,247 Posts
    • 4,821 Thanks
    martindow
    Thanks all.

Anyone know about their local public transport cost? Discount for children etc

Cheers
    Originally posted by Kaybenson
    seat61 is the bible for international rail travel. This page is mainly to do with travelling from the UK to Italy by train but there is a lot of info regarding local trains in Italy

https://www.seat61.com/Italy.htm

Apart from high speed and long distance trains there is no advantage in booking ahead. For timetables and some fares the German railways site is excellent for the whole of Europe

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml
    Last edited by martindow; 29-07-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    • amberhen49
    • By amberhen49 29th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    amberhen49
    https://www.atm.it/en/Pages/default.aspx

Tickets are valid on the metro, trolley buses, trams and buses.
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Jul 19, 10:46 PM
    • 20,234 Posts
    • 120,614 Thanks
    maman
    Don't know if it appeals to you but we took a tram out to the San Ciro stadium home of AC Milan and Inter . There's a football museum and we did a guided tour of the stadium.

Also there's a McDonald's right opposite the duomo with a great view where drinks are at reasonable prices for Milan.
    • Kaybenson
    • By Kaybenson 30th Jul 19, 7:23 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Kaybenson
    Don't know if it appeals to you but we took a tram out to the San Ciro stadium home of AC Milan and Inter . There's a football museum and we did a guided tour of the stadium.

Also there's a McDonald's right opposite the duomo with a great view where drinks are at reasonable prices for Milan.
    Originally posted by maman
    Cool.

Hoping to visit San Siro but it cost 18 each and i dont know if they offer discount to children.
    • Kaybenson
    • By Kaybenson 30th Jul 19, 7:27 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Kaybenson

If you are looking for a family run friendly restaurant in Milan then a must is Ristorante pizzeria One Way della Speranza.
    Originally posted by slinga
    Which part of Milan is it?

Thanks
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Jul 19, 7:43 PM
    • 20,234 Posts
    • 120,614 Thanks
    maman
    Cool.

Hoping to visit San Siro but it cost 18 each and i dont know if they offer discount to children.
    Under 6 years old are free and they do a family ticket. It's all on the website.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 31st Jul 19, 10:20 AM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    slinga
    Which part of Milan is it?

Thanks

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/One+Way+della+Speranza/@45.4771175,9.2019697,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4786c6c7475432c9:0xc8c7a e1149642c72!8m2!3d45.4771138!4d9.2041637

If you do google it it will pinpoint the restaurant but in this screen shot it is just below the E in Lazzaretto.
    A 20 min walk from Milano Centrale station.
    Last edited by slinga; 31-07-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

363Posts Today

6,664Users online

Martin's Twitter