Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 20th Nov 07, 5:19 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MMD: Should Axl pay back his mates?
    • 20th Nov 07, 5:19 PM
    MMD: Should Axl pay back his mates? 20th Nov 07 at 5:19 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Axl pay back his mates?

Axl goes out for a slap up dinner with four chums at the Jungle restaurant in Paradise City. Afterwards his friend Slash, an accountancy student, works out how much everyone owes. The rest leave the cash on the table and dash off to get a train, leaving Axl to actually pay. When he does, he realises that together they’ve left £20 too much; as Slash added a tip to the total, when service was included. Thus each is owed £4, and it’ll be a hassle to get it all to them; should he keep quiet or hand them back the cash?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Victoria be there for Geri and share her bonus?
    Should Ben go to Bill's wedding?

Last edited by MSE Martin; 20-11-2007 at 6:55 PM.
Page 1
  • Iom-rf
    • 20th Nov 07, 5:31 PM
    • 20th Nov 07, 5:31 PM
    Give the money back without a doubt, I hate owing people money not matter how small, for example I owe someone £5, I was going to give it back on the Monday but I kept walking past the shop think "oh crap what do I say".... Next time (about a week later) I walked past I was ready to walk into the shop and hand the guy the fiver I owed him, I go upto the door but he's not there, I'd then forgotten about the fiver (been busy though its not an excuse)

Last week the guy died of a heart attack, now I still want to give the money back because it isn't mine, I feel awful that I'd "taken" £5 because if I haven't given it back thats "taking", part of me wants to stuff the £5 through the letterbox of the shop (which I should of done in the first place, so i'm annoyed with myself) but then I don't actually know who the money is going to.
  • mayb
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:20 PM
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:20 PM
    I think Axl should keep the money in his wallet and as he meets up again with each person offer them the money back. If they say don't worry about it (after all they left him to sort it out) he can keep it and if they want it back they get it back. That way he is doing the right thing by everyone.
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 20th Nov 07, 11:35 PM
    • 7,696 Posts
    • 15,481 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:35 PM
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:35 PM
    He should drop them all an email and let them know that this happened, and suggest putting it in the kitty for the next night out. He should offer to hold onto it in the meantime unless anyone needs theirs back. Fair and minimum hassle.

• Alfie E
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:36 PM
    • 20th Nov 07, 11:36 PM
    Axl should employ the Ryanair Manoeuvre. There will apply a five-pounds administration charge per refund per friend. Thus, the problem is solved…
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • Skippy2roo
    • 21st Nov 07, 12:26 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 12:26 AM
    He should buy a crate of Nelson Mandela and have another great night, if they can throw money away then they won't miss it so tough on them.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st Nov 07, 12:31 AM
    • 64,927 Posts
    • 381,122 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 21st Nov 07, 12:31 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 12:31 AM
    his friend Slash, an accountancy student, works out how much everyone owes.
    Originally posted by MSE Jenny
    I think there's a twist there - if somebody had to work out how much they owed, then each person will have paid different amounts in.

So part of the dilemma might be how much was overpaid by each person....

I'd send a group email round and let everybody know. I'm sure Slash kept a record and will know who had what/how much and so could advise how much of a refund was due to each person .... whereupon I'd make sure they got that to the penny next time we met.
    • banana
    • By banana 21st Nov 07, 7:35 AM
    • 77 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    banana
    • 21st Nov 07, 7:35 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 7:35 AM
    He should leave the money for the waiting staff. Its not a huge amount for a 'slap up dinner' and everyone was happy to pay the total Slash worked out for them.
    He can text everyone and let them know how generous they have been. Feelgood factors all round.
    "I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something."
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 21st Nov 07, 8:11 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 21st Nov 07, 8:11 AM
    • 21st Nov 07, 8:11 AM
    Nah he shouldnt give it back. OH PLEASE its 4 quid
  • rackstar
    Let them know and, if they are not bothered about getting the £4 back, use the cash to get the first round the next time.

Can't beleive people are saying they wouldn't give money to their mates! That's so tight!
  • fad1211

i found a purse on the floor at university and i kept it. came in handy for lunch and my bus expenses for the day

RaMbO
    Originally posted by rambo1987
    And did you not consider about the poor person that dropped that purse, just picture it, frantically running around to find the purse. What if it had happened to you. Surely you couldv'e taken it to reception. It really wasn't yours for the taking. For the price of lunch and bus expenses for the day, my conscience would have been worth more.
  • RabbitMad
    Service is always included. A tip is on top to reward good service. He should have left it otherwise he's stealling it from the waiter/waitress.
  • CCCele
    Slash left it as a tip. Axl should leave it where it is - it is an extra gesture to the waiting staff for good service.
  • progman
    man mostof u must be oldschool because if your age 20 and under and your friend tries to give u back 4 pound they will LAFF at u. maybe buy a bottle of alcohol instead n havea session but apart from that i would keep quiet.

morals have changed in society, most kids nowadays are not from the world war era i guarantee they wont give money back.

i found a purse on the floor at university and i kept it. came in handy for lunch and my bus expenses for the day

RaMbO
    Originally posted by rambo1987
    Would it have been so difficult to hand in what did not belong to you?
  • Patti
    Obviously old git
    The amount of money involved is not really the point, Axl was given the responsibilty to sort out the bill and therefore should not betray his friends trust. He should email them all and let them know he has it and intends to hold on to it until he sees them, or will keep it as the start of a kitty next time.

I have no doubt that with four different friends each one would have a different opinion of what to do with it, but I am sure that most people would get upset if anyone assumed what their thoughts should be.
    • Marisan
    • By Marisan 21st Nov 07, 9:18 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Marisan
    Should Axl pay back his mates?
    Well,Axl should either pay them back or leave the money as a tip for the waiting staff.What he certainly should not do is pocket the money - it's not his to keep and would be tantamount to theft.

I am shocked at the comments from some that it is okay to hang onto money that isn't yours,and I don't believe that all young people would do this,only those who do not know wrong from right.
  • Patti
    Nah he shouldnt give it back. OH PLEASE its 4 quid
    Originally posted by tallgirld
    Some people have to work for at least 3/4 hour for £4, in fact probably the waiter/waitresses involved. Perhaps their time is not as valuable as yours.
  • garyjohn66
    buy lottery tickets
    if its too much hassle to get your friend sback the money, phone them up and say your gonna buy £20 worth of lucky dips on the lottery and then split the winnings, i dont think too many of your friends will say no
  • sparklinglime
    I should imagine the extra money had been put in the 'pot' knowingly, so to speak, as a tip.

It should be left for the waiter/ess
    • Chocmonster7
    • By Chocmonster7 21st Nov 07, 10:00 AM
    • 2,305 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Chocmonster7
    Let them know and, if they are not bothered about getting the £4 back, use the cash to get the first round the next time.
    Originally posted by rackstar
    That's what I was going to suggest!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin