Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • furndire
    • By furndire 14th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    • 7,171Posts
    • 31,470Thanks
    furndire
    Boiler not working in rented property
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    Boiler not working in rented property 14th Jun 19 at 9:21 PM
    My grandaughter and her boyfriend are sharing a house. The boiler has not been working for 4 weeks. The landlord has had gas engineers looking at it - they say it’s obsolete and needs replacing. Landlord is insisting on get more engineers round to repair it. They’ve only lived there 6 months and this is the second time the boiler has packed up.
    Advice needed please
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jun 19, 9:36 PM
    • 35,108 Posts
    • 22,181 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:36 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:36 PM
    My grandaughter and her boyfriend are sharing a house. The boiler has not been working for 4 weeks. The landlord has had gas engineers looking at it - they say it’s obsolete and needs replacing. Landlord is insisting on get more engineers round to repair it. They’ve only lived there 6 months and this is the second time the boiler has packed up.
    Advice needed please
    Originally posted by furndire
    How many gas engineers have said its obsolete ?
    • furndire
    • By furndire 14th Jun 19, 11:20 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 31,470 Thanks
    furndire
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:20 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:20 PM
    Just one at the moment. The Agent has been trying to get more quotes but engineers have made appointments and not turned up or
    turned up without letting Grandaughter know a time. They are both working long hours so need them to make appointments.
    Agents are now blaming them for being difficult to get hold of.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jun 19, 2:25 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 15th Jun 19, 2:25 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 2:25 AM
    Sounds to me as though the landlord doesn't want to buy a new boiler.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 15th Jun 19, 5:57 AM
    • 33,707 Posts
    • 67,813 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 15th Jun 19, 5:57 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 5:57 AM
    Sounds to me as though the landlord doesn't want to buy a new boiler.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    Why should they at the moment? They have only had one quote. Someone else might be able to repair it.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 15th Jun 19, 7:01 AM
    • 17,186 Posts
    • 42,188 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:01 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:01 AM
    If they owned their house, they would have to sort out work to be home around trades people schedule. Either they agree to leave a key for them to get in or take a day off.

How many times did they come or try to make a time your gd and boyfriend couldn't make? They won't have helped the situation.
    • Catkei
    • By Catkei 15th Jun 19, 7:07 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Catkei
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:07 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:07 AM
    Our agents have a key so they can let workmen in (obviously only of it's been preagreed by us, in writing). Don't see the problem? If we owned we would have had to take time off, so tbh, it works out better.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 15th Jun 19, 7:40 AM
    • 2,919 Posts
    • 2,634 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:40 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:40 AM
    I had exactly the same problem in one of my properties, issue had been going on for four weeks, but the letting agent didn't tell me about the problem. I found out on a Thursday, I called the boiler manufacturer that day, they sent an engineer on the Friday, and the boiler was repaired on the Tuesday once parts had arrived.

Depending how the weekend falls, 4-6 days is about as quick as a boiler can be repaired if parts are needed. 4 weeks is to long, and not fair on the tenant. I gave my tenants £100 back from their rent for the delay caused by the letting agent.

Many plumbers recommend replacing the boiler once it reaches 10 years old because they don't want the risk of being called back following a repair and their being a dispute over their fees. Once an old boiler start to fail, other parts can fail soon after, but generally all the parts are replacable. My boiler is like Trigger's Broom now, only the case and PCB are the original parts!
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jun 19, 7:42 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:42 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:42 AM
    Why should they at the moment? They have only had one quote. Someone else might be able to repair it.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Because it's been a month.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jun 19, 7:45 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Next someone will be saying it's ok to have no hot water, boil a kettle and have a flannel wash.

It's been a month and that is unfair. The landlord is obviously not bothered. So obviously.
    • martinbuckley
    • By martinbuckley 15th Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    martinbuckley
    Next someone will be saying it's ok to have no hot water, boil a kettle and have a flannel wash.

It's been a month and that is unfair. The landlord is obviously not bothered. So obviously.
    They could switch the immersion heater on?
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 15th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 6,095 Posts
    • 12,122 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I believe a LL is expected to act as if he was the homeowner living in the house.

As a homeowner if one engineer told me my boiler needed replacing I would certainly be getting a second opion, that is not unreasonable . Its not fair to wait 4 weeks but it seems as if appointments have been made only they can't get access to the house, this is not the LL fault. As a homeowner I would either make arrangements for the engineer to be able to get in or I live with the issue until I am available, that would be my choice as it is the tenants. I do not see how the LL can be blamed in this situation.
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 15th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    It also depends on where you live

If you are in Scotland (or Wales) you will have more rights.

Where is the property?
    baldly going on...
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jun 19, 10:07 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    How about there's a leak in the roof that you own (or that you are the landlord of). You want more than one quote to put it right. The tenant isn't about to let people in. Do you just let it go on for months or do you, as a landlord, feel a sense of urgency because it's going to affect you one way or another?

Landlords react differentlt depending on sho us going to suffer.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jun 19, 10:10 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    I had a boiler problem once. The landlord was slap happy about it until I told them I thought there was a leak (which there was, which is why the boiler wasn't working in the first place).
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 15th Jun 19, 10:12 AM
    • 33,707 Posts
    • 67,813 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Because it's been a month.
    During which time the gas engineers have not been able to gain access to the property.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 15th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    During which time the gas engineers have not been able to gain access to the property.
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Because the agents and landlord haven't organised it with the tenant.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 15th Jun 19, 11:34 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    ProDave
    I am a trtadesman (electrician) and I do a lot of work in rental properties.

If the tenants can't be in during the day, then it is very common for an arrangement for me to be given a key to go and do the work while the tenants are out.

Why can't they do that? The LL will have a key, he can give that to the gas man if the tenants agree to that.
    • furndire
    • By furndire 15th Jun 19, 4:16 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 31,470 Thanks
    furndire
    They could switch the immersion heater on?
    Originally posted by martinbuckley
    There isn’t one
    • furndire
    • By furndire 15th Jun 19, 4:22 PM
    • 7,171 Posts
    • 31,470 Thanks
    furndire
    I am a trtadesman (electrician) and I do a lot of work in rental properties.

If the tenants can't be in during the day, then it is very common for an arrangement for me to be given a key to go and do the work while the tenants are out.

Why can't they do that? The LL will have a key, he can give that to the gas man if the tenants agree to that.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    They will do that. Problem has been that tradesmen have made arrangements to call round but failed to turn up. Or go round without making arrangement to call.

They are living on a shoestring and cannot afford to take time off other than their work days off which they’ve already made arrangements.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter