Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 14th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    • 619Posts
    • 10,180Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    Useless with cars and wondering if thereís a problem
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:36 PM
    Useless with cars and wondering if thereís a problem 14th Jun 19 at 8:36 PM
    I have a 2012 VW Polo, Iíve noticed when starting the car and reversing off the drive thereís a slight resistance as if my handbrake isnít fully down, itís only a moment and reverses but not something Iíve noticed before. Itís also starting to quietly make some noise when braking. It was serviced/MOT in December with no issues and doesnít have a huge amount of use. Do I need to do anything?
Page 1
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 14th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:21 PM
    Most likely needs the rear brakes servicing, does it have disks or drums on the rear as the polo can have either.

The rear discs on my ibiza behaved just like this when they were wearing down. When I changed them they looked to be the original discs so they were 8 years old and had covered 75k miles. Calipers needed a good clean as well. New disks and pads plus a good clean up cured the issue.
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 14th Jun 19, 9:37 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 3,686 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:37 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:37 PM
    Yeah its the brakes sticking, nothing to worry about as long as it only lasts a coupe of secs.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 15th Jun 19, 5:48 AM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    loskie
    • 15th Jun 19, 5:48 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 5:48 AM
    if it is parked for any length of time without being used leave the hand brake off, as long as its not on a slope of course.
    Chock the wheel with a stone or brick.

The braking noise may just be the rust rubbing off the discs.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 16th Jun 19, 9:15 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    datostar
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:15 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:15 AM
    Some Polos with rear disc brakes have sliding (aka floating) calipers with a single piston on one side. Not affecting just Polos but any car with this type of caliper can have them stick, leaving one pad in contact with the disc all the time and causing the OP's symptoms. Not necessarily making a noise during normal driving but can affect braking efficiency and lead to uneven wear of disc and pads. If you feel you can trust a local Fast Fit type place offering free brake checks let them take a look. Freeing them off isn't necessarily a big job if it hasn't been going on for a long time. Worst case scenario - new calipers, pads and discs.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 16th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 12,183 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    Some Polos with rear disc brakes have sliding (aka floating) calipers with a single piston on one side. Not affecting just Polos but any car with this type of caliper can have them stick, leaving one pad in contact with the disc all the time and causing the OP's symptoms. Not necessarily making a noise during normal driving but can affect braking efficiency and lead to uneven wear of disc and pads. If you feel you can trust a local Fast Fit type place offering free brake checks let them take a look. Freeing them off isn't necessarily a big job if it hasn't been going on for a long time. Worst case scenario - new calipers, pads and discs.
    Originally posted by datostar
    All good except for the bit in bold.
    Yes my Corrado used to suffer similar symptoms, the mechanic with a big screwdriver quickly remedied the issue in minutes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,392Posts Today

7,214Users online

Martin's Twitter