Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    arronlowley
    Moving into rented house, found cig burns in carpet, what can I do?
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:06 PM
    Moving into rented house, found cig burns in carpet, what can I do? 14th Jun 19 at 6:06 PM
    Got the keys for the new place today, was told it was cleaned which it most certainly wasnít, the landlord has actually paid someone to clean and they havenít cleaned it. On inspection Iíve found cig burns in the carpets in every single room, if I notify the landlord what are my chances of him replacing them? If he doesnít Iím getting my deposit back and leaving as I donít find it acceptable. Thereís so many issues Iíve found like house alarm not working, no smoke alarm downstairs, toilet downstairs broken, wish Iíd have inspected all this firstly 🤦🏻!♂️
Page 1
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 14th Jun 19, 6:19 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:19 PM
    Take photos of all the offending problems and notify the LL immediately that you are less than happy with the accommodation. Invite him round to inspect the house for himself and ask him (nicely!) to fix the problems at his earliest convenience.
    Last edited by snilloct1957; 14-06-2019 at 6:24 PM.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 14th Jun 19, 6:19 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    Take lots and lots of photo's as evidence , and report to Landlord. Make sure this is all recorded on inventory, otherwise when you move out they will be saying you made the mess and damage and have to pay!
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 14th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:22 PM
    Landlord isn't obliged to replace them. Or give you your deposit back because you don't like what you have signed up for.

Did you not walk around with the letting agency / landlord and go through an inventory?

Perhaps rather than jumping at your landlord you politely email him or her with all the issues and amendments to your inventory and ask for a resolution.

Your landlord may be none the wiser if he had paid for works to be done.

Any reason why you didnt inspect it?
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arronlowley
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:43 PM
    I only signed the agreement today so I am in every right to cancel and get my money back, I did walk around the house but didnít Notice the burns at that particular time, all I was told that the carpets were in need of a clean to which I agreed, Iím not really concerned about the other bits as I can sort the toilet myself for no cost.
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 6:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arronlowley
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:44 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:44 PM
    I have notified them on my tenancy agreement and Iíve also taken photographic evidence, on the tenancy agreement is says no smoking so the previous tenant broke the agreeement, I am not a smoker myself so I donít agree with having to live in a house with a cig burnt carpet, itís vile
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 6:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arronlowley
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:46 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:46 PM
    I haven’t been given the landlords email I have to go through the letting agency which In my eyes is daft because for all I know I could notify them and they may not notify him
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 14th Jun 19, 6:48 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:48 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:48 PM
    I have notified them on my tenancy agreement and Iíve also taken photographic evidence, on the tenancy agreement is says no smoking so the previous tenant broke the agreeement, I am not a smoker myself so I donít agree with having to live in a house with a cig burnt carpet, itís vile
    Originally posted by arronlowley
    Not to mention the stink and the lack of cleanliness...
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 14th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:49 PM
    My apologies.

I have never seen it in a tenancy agreement that if after siging you changed your mind the LL was obliged to refund and accept possession again.

Its quite unusual to have a cooling off period in the contract.
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arronlowley
    Not to mention the stink and the lack of cleanliness...
    Originally posted by snilloct1957
    I lived at home for 18 years and my mother smokes, I always told her it was horrific, I dno how people can be so scruffy to smoke all over the house and her cig burns in the carpet, she always used to smoke by the door away from us.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 14th Jun 19, 7:05 PM
    • 6,435 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    anselld
    I only signed the agreement today so I am in every right to cancel and get my money back,.
    I'm afraid that is not the case.
    Landlord is obliged to fit the smoke alarm and repair the toilet, but the cosmetic stuff is optional. Your best chance of getting a positive response is not to go in all-guns-blazing without knowing your rights.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 14th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 6,435 Posts
    • 6,379 Thanks
    anselld
    I am not a smoker myself so I donít agree with having to live in a house with a cig burnt carpet, itís vile
    Did you not view before signing?
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 7:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arronlowley
    I personally thought you had 14 days like everything else but yeah I’m wrong ain’t I, apparently some agreements may consist of a cooling off period, but mine doesn’t from what I can see, as far as I know the landlord doesn’t visit himself and has the estate agent do so, I was told by the estate agent that the landlord paid someone to clean the carpet and they haven’t done so and he’s unaware
    • arronlowley
    • By arronlowley 14th Jun 19, 7:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    arronlowley
    I'm afraid that is not the case.
    Landlord is obliged to fit the smoke alarm and repair the toilet, but the cosmetic stuff is optional. Your best chance of getting a positive response is not to go in all-guns-blazing without knowing your rights.
    Originally posted by anselld
    Did you not view before signing?
    Originally posted by anselld
    As stated above I did but I didnít notice these issues as I was in a bit of a rush that day
    • Moneysaving222
    • By Moneysaving222 14th Jun 19, 8:09 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Moneysaving222
    Get/ask for rugs to cover the burn marks?
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 14th Jun 19, 10:25 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    I personally thought you had 14 days like everything else but yeah Iím wrong ainít I, apparently some agreements may consist of a cooling off period, but mine doesnít from what I can see, as far as I know the landlord doesnít visit himself and has the estate agent do so, I was told by the estate agent that the landlord paid someone to clean the carpet and they havenít done so and heís unaware
    You donít get 14 days on everything else either.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Jun 19, 11:43 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,992 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I wouldnít even bother asking for the carpet to be fixed. The answer will 100% be no and thatíd make me feel worse than just accepting it. Obviously document it and let them know and get them to fix the smoke alarm and toilet.

I donít think Iíve lived in a rented place that didnít have the odd fag burn or similar.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Ask for the cleaning to be done.
    Take photos of all damage and record it.
    Even if it’s not fixed you have record it was like that at the beginning. do it ASAP.
    Get read/delivery receipts of email.
    Landlord probably isn’t aware,

In future do a proper viewing including lifting the toilet seat, lying on the bed, sitting on the sofa and lifting the sofa cushions.

I have a broken sofa on my flat and didn’t check.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter