Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 14th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    • 102Posts
    • 23Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    Ebay item delivered to neighbour who won't return it
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    Ebay item delivered to neighbour who won't return it 14th Jun 19 at 5:38 PM
    I ordered an item from an Ebay seller on Sunday, ETA was stated as Wednesday. By today package had still not arrived, tracking information was shown as being on the courier van for the past 2 days. No note from courier pushed through my door to say attempted delivery or left in safe place or delivered to a neighbour.

Contacted seller whom stated that courier had claimed that item had been delivered to one of my neighbours giving their house number and name. Went round to said neighbour and they denied that they had taken receipt of my order, also went to my other neighbour and they also denied they had been in receipt of my item.

Fed this information back to the seller currently awaiting a reply.

Where does this leave me regards reimbursement of monies spent for item not received?
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 9,444 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    Wait to see what seller says, if they are decent they should sort it out and dispute the delivery with the carrier.

Ultimately eBay will likely find in favour of the seller, purely because the POD shows as delivered. However, you are likely to win an appeal if you ask them to view the tracking showing it went elsewhere - that is down to the rep you get to appeal with though.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 14th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:16 PM
    Wait to see what seller says, if they are decent they should sort it out and dispute the delivery with the carrier.

Ultimately eBay will likely find in favour of the seller, purely because the POD shows as delivered. However, you are likely to win an appeal if you ask them to view the tracking showing it went elsewhere - that is down to the rep you get to appeal with though.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Thanks for the reply. Out of interest is it a criminal offence that my neighbour has (allegedly) committed as the courier claim they have a signed electronic receipt from them (as how else would they know whom my neighbour were) or is it merely a case of finders keepers?
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 14th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 16,688 Posts
    • 23,137 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    Until you have better proof that the neighbour has it, I would assume they don't.

The courier could just be buying time...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 14th Jun 19, 8:29 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:29 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:29 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Out of interest is it a criminal offence that my neighbour has (allegedly) committed as the courier claim they have a signed electronic receipt from them (as how else would they know whom my neighbour were) or is it merely a case of finders keepers?
    Originally posted by westbridgfordguy
    Yes it's theft, not from you but from the seller. Don't expect the police to be interested though.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 14th Jun 19, 9:06 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:06 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:06 PM
    Until you have better proof that the neighbour has it, I would assume they don't.

Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I've just searched the Land Registry and found that my neighbours names are totally different to the names given by the courier whom they allege signed for the item this week.

I've gone back to the seller to refute the couriers claims and push for a refund
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 14th Jun 19, 9:23 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:23 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:23 PM
    I've just searched the Land Registry and found that my neighbours names are totally different to the names given by the courier whom they allege signed for the item this week.

I've gone back to the seller to refute the couriers claims and push for a refund
    That tells you who owns the property not who's living there. They could be renting or have family/friends/lodger staying there with a different name. Could still be the courier pulling a fast one, but you don't have proof of that yet.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 14th Jun 19, 9:49 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:49 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:49 PM
    That tells you who owns the property not who's living there. They could be renting or have family/friends/lodger staying there with a different name. Could still be the courier pulling a fast one, but you don't have proof of that yet.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    My neighbours have been living in the next door property for longer than I have and I've been here for 15 years so I am 99.99% certain they are the legal owners, shamefully I didn't know their surnames until this evening!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Jun 19, 4:32 AM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 9,444 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 15th Jun 19, 4:32 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 4:32 AM
    What does the courier tracking say? If it says Mrs Smith no8 have you been to No8 and asked for Mrs Smith?

Keep on with the seller, get them to find out where it is. Explain your neighbours aren't call Smith if that is the case - give the seller as much info as possible.
    • ailey
    • By ailey 15th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    ailey
    This is something I've been worried about lately as we now seem to have some couriers who appear to be signing on their phone as they hand the item over to me but they don't actually ask me to sign for it. The same thing happens with the Royal Mail postman now although we have a really good and honest postman. It looks as if they have a tracking device which shows that they have arrived at the address but that certainly doesn't prove that they have handed the item over. Is anyone else finding this is the system being adopted now by RM and some courier companies? It does leave it open to abuse.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jun 19, 11:01 AM
    • 34,833 Posts
    • 29,534 Thanks
    custardy
    This is something I've been worried about lately as we now seem to have some couriers who appear to be signing on their phone as they hand the item over to me but they don't actually ask me to sign for it. The same thing happens with the Royal Mail postman now although we have a really good and honest postman. It looks as if they have a tracking device which shows that they have arrived at the address but that certainly doesn't prove that they have handed the item over. Is anyone else finding this is the system being adopted now by RM and some courier companies? It does leave it open to abuse.
    Originally posted by ailey
    Do you feel you signing it vs them is more secure?
    Do you feel an item handed over without signature is less secure?
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 15th Jun 19, 11:04 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    What does the courier tracking say? If it says Mrs Smith no8 have you been to No8 and asked for Mrs Smith?

Keep on with the seller, get them to find out where it is. Explain your neighbours aren't call Smith if that is the case - give the seller as much info as possible.
    I've fed back to the vendor that there is no one at number 43 in this case with the name Dowson and the owners of this property are instead called Cheetham and that I have also gone round to this property to enquire about my delivery and also numbers 39 and 45 without any joy.

Vendor replied not much else they can do as the package has been delivered (not to my address) and I should take it up with the courier.

I intend to reply back that the vendor has a contract with the courier not myself and that I wish reimbursement for an item that wasn't delivered to my address and am happy to supply information for vendor to use to claim against their courier unless there is something else I should do?
    Last edited by westbridgfordguy; 15-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 15th Jun 19, 11:07 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy

Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Vendor is now saying that the onus is on me to progress with the courier as they have delivered to an address (clearly not mine) and they can't (or won't) do anything further
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 9,444 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Vendor is now saying that the onus is on me to progress with the courier as they have delivered to an address (clearly not mine) and they can't (or won't) do anything further
    The contract is between the seller and the carrier. The carrier will not help you.

Unfortunately some sellers don't bother. You could try ringing ebay and explain that the parcel [tracking] shows as delivered delivered to a neighbour but that you have checked with all neighbours. Unfortunately the seller is likely to win an INR but there is no harm in you trying. But don't open it online, ring and explain. You may have to open it, lose it and then appeal it.
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 15th Jun 19, 12:00 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    The contract is between the seller and the carrier. The carrier will not help you.

Unfortunately some sellers don't bother. You could try ringing ebay and explain that the parcel [tracking] shows as delivered delivered to a neighbour but that you have checked with all neighbours. Unfortunately the seller is likely to win an INR but there is no harm in you trying. But don't open it online, ring and explain. You may have to open it, lose it and then appeal it.
    I did explain to the vendor that the contract exists between the courier and themselves and it is their responsibility to progress said query not mine.

I have also taken your advice and phoned Ebay and informed them of the situation, they have stated that I have nothing to worry about as my money is protected and that they would fully support my claim if the vendor did not return my money as the item was not delivered to the address given on my original order request.

They also said that the onus is on the vendor to resolve this and it is not up to me as you said to be chasing couriers for delivery information.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 15th Jun 19, 1:05 PM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 9,444 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I did explain to the vendor that the contract exists between the courier and themselves and it is their responsibility to progress said query not mine.

I have also taken your advice and phoned Ebay and informed them of the situation, they have stated that I have nothing to worry about as my money is protected and that they would fully support my claim if the vendor did not return my money as the item was not delivered to the address given on my original order request.

They also said that the onus is on the vendor to resolve this and it is not up to me as you said to be chasing couriers for delivery information.
    Don't read too much into Ebay CS and what they say, albeit in this instance they are correct. In truth INR cases tend to be resolved by the machine not human and the appeal is where you might find some help.

Open a case - clearly state the item HAS been delivered but not to you. Quote the full tracking details (ie Mrs Smith at No.8) if that is what is said, upload a screen shot and see what happens.

I think you will lose, but you never know, it may go easy in your favour or the seller may not know the system.

If you lose, ring eBay and appeal on the grounds the POD is not to you or your address.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 15th Jun 19, 1:21 PM
    • 6,016 Posts
    • 7,458 Thanks
    theoretica
    Originally posted by custardy

It depends on what they are signing it as. If the courier/postman is signing it as the courier that is fine. Marking it as delivered. If they are pretending to be me, it is not. If a parcel gets delivered wrongly and I have to claim non-delivery I don't want to start by having to prove I was at work when it was signed for by 'me'.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • ailey
    • By ailey 15th Jun 19, 11:03 PM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    ailey
    Originally posted by custardy
    I feel that me signing it means that I've actually received the parcel.

What I meant was that a courier could be tracked to a person's address as I know some couriers do use tracking now, but if they don't get a signature from someone at the correct address or a neighbour's signature, then what's to stop them keeping the occasional parcel and saying that it's been delivered? I personally haven't had any problems but I'm sure there must be some dishonest couriers just the same as there have been dishonest postmen over the years. It just seems strange that they stand at our doors and sign for items themselves as that never happened in the past.

A parcel handed over without a signature is perfectly fine if it gets delivered to the correct address.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Jun 19, 3:50 AM
    • 34,833 Posts
    • 29,534 Thanks
    custardy
    I feel that me signing it means that I've actually received the parcel.

What I meant was that a courier could be tracked to a person's address as I know some couriers do use tracking now, but if they don't get a signature from someone at the correct address or a neighbour's signature, then what's to stop them keeping the occasional parcel and saying that it's been delivered? I personally haven't had any problems but I'm sure there must be some dishonest couriers just the same as there have been dishonest postmen over the years. It just seems strange that they stand at our doors and sign for items themselves as that never happened in the past.

A parcel handed over without a signature is perfectly fine if it gets delivered to the correct address.
    Originally posted by ailey
    and do what do most people say when they sign. oh it looks nothing like my signature.
    They sign to save time. people want cheaper and cheaper carriers. couriers are asked/expected to do more and more on their runs.
    These things save time.
    If you have ever had to deal with the general public signing these machines you would see what a faff many make of it.

You seem to hold a lot of weight on the signature. I don't.
    Although my parcel sig is not my sig but a distinct mark I make so its clear if it was me or not.

A parcel handed over without a signature is perfectly fine if it gets delivered to the correct address
    Doesnt this make as much sense?
    • YBR
    • By YBR 16th Jun 19, 4:50 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    YBR
    Is there an adjacent road it could have been delivered to?
    We occasionally find mis-delivered items at ours (or a neighbour's) house number in the adjacent road.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,382Posts Today

8,628Users online

Martin's Twitter