Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tony later
    • By tony later 14th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tony later
    bmw warranty claim
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    bmw warranty claim 14th Jun 19 at 5:38 PM
    Hello,
    I have a query that I hope you could shed some light on:
    I purchased a BMW i3 16 months old in Feb 2016 with a the manufacture warranty expiring in September 2018. The electric charging cable had a fault with it and this was replaced under warranty 15 months ago. The replaced cable has now broken once more. A replacement cost 470 and comes with a two year warranty. I questioned if the part has a two year warranty then surely the replacement part is still under warranty. The answer I was given was that because the car is now over three years old nothing is covered! I highlighted that the car is indeed over three years old but the cable wasn't and surely any new part on any age of car has the two year warranty from date of purchase/replacement?
    The dealership, BMW Lookers in Stafford are claiming because I did not pay for the original replacement I do not receive the two year warranty. That seems bonkers
    Kind regards
    Tony Later
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Jun 19, 6:10 PM
    • 12,191 Posts
    • 6,895 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:10 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:10 PM
    Well you can't charge the car without a lead.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 14th Jun 19, 6:18 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:18 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:18 PM
    I don't think you get a rolling warranty on parts replaced under warranty in the first place but you might try escalating it.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 14th Jun 19, 6:20 PM
    • 4,583 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:20 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:20 PM
    You buy an item with say three years warranty. You have a contract with the supplier.

If it fails in year 2 he replaces it, under that contract.

If the replacement fails in year 3, it is still covered.

If it fails in year 4 it is NOT covered, as you do not have a new contract giving any further rights.
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 14th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    a.turner
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    Why does it keep breaking, you're not driving off when it's still plugged in?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Jun 19, 6:56 PM
    • 6,445 Posts
    • 7,627 Thanks
    societys child
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:56 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:56 PM
    I questioned if the part has a two year warranty then surely the replacement part is still under warranty.
    As mentioned earlier, the guarantee period does not start again upon replacement of a part replaced "under guarantee". You could end up with a never ending, forever warrantee.

• sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 14th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    I don't think you get a rolling warranty on parts replaced under warranty in the first place but you might try escalating it.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    The repair including the replaced part will have its own warranty from the time the repair is carried out, completely independant of the car warranty.

Just as any repair carried out on a car without warranty would be covered with a warranty for a defined period.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    • 7,945 Posts
    • 7,768 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    The repair including the replaced part will have its own warranty from the time the repair is carried out, completely independant of the car warranty.

Just as any repair carried out on a car without warranty would be covered with a warranty for a defined period.
    Originally posted by sheslookinhot
    Wrong, wrong, and thrice wrong! Unless the OP paid for the work done then there is NO new warranty period for the work done / parts.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • tony later
    • By tony later 14th Jun 19, 7:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tony later
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:38 PM
    Bmw warranty claim
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:38 PM
    Ok thank you for the comments. I do appreciate it could end up with a never ending warranty but if the part fails withing its manufacturing guidelines its not fit for purpose but I put it down it to life experience.
    Cheers
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 14th Jun 19, 7:55 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    Richard53
    As mentioned earlier, the guarantee period does not start again upon replacement of a part replaced "under guarantee". You could end up with a never ending, forever warrantee.
    Originally posted by societys child
    I bought a kettle with 12 months' warranty. It failed after 11 months. I took it back and got a replacement. The new kettle failed after 3 months. I took that one back as well. The shop refused to replace it, saying "if we replaced everything like that, we'd effectively be giving you a kettle for life, wouldn't we Sir? You bought a kettle with 12 months' warranty, and that is what you have got."

Makes sense, although I hadn't thought of it that way before. If I had paid to have it repaired after 11 months, I would expect the repair to carry its own warranty, but the original warranty was tied to the original purchase.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    • 7,945 Posts
    • 7,768 Thanks
    DoaM
    I'm speaking from personal experience, are you ?
    I'm speaking from the standpoint of understanding the law .. the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If you were lucky enough to get an extended warranty (following a warranty repair that you paid nothing towards) then either a) that was offered up front (in which case it was contractual and covered by the CRA 2015), or b) you were given goodwill by the other party.

Do you have a stutter ?
    How droll.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 14th Jun 19, 8:28 PM
    • 7,024 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Surely any Type 2 charging cable will do the job, you don’t have to by an overpriced one from a BMW dealer.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    • 8,101 Posts
    • 3,351 Thanks
    almillar
    Surely any Type 2 charging cable will do the job, you don’t have to by an overpriced one from a BMW dealer.
    Depends on the car. Any type 2 cable will do 'A' job, but depending on what i3 the OP has, it may have 7 or 11kW AC charging (I think) (via type 2). Later i3s (that's plural i3, not just i3'S') have 2 phase AC charging, allowing the 11kW charging. You need a three phase type 2 cable to take advantage of this. Apparently BMW themselves were providing these cars with single phase cables, meaning these cars could only charge at 7kW via this cable. If this is for home charging, you're probably limited to 7kW anyway, that's the best you can do on single phase supplies, which most of us have, but plenty of public chargers are 22kW AC so you'd charge a good bit faster at 11 than 7.
    I guess BMW might argue that your cable is a wear and tear item, but I would argue that whether the cable is 3 or 5 years old, it should last, as long as there are no signs of abuse. If you get no satisfaction from them though, you can certainly get cheaper cables than the official BMW ones.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Jun 19, 1:10 PM
    • 25,018 Posts
    • 24,436 Thanks
    AdrianC
    ...and surely any new part on any age of car has the two year warranty from date of purchase/replacement?
    The dealership, BMW Lookers in Stafford are claiming because I did not pay for the original replacement I do not receive the two year warranty. That seems bonkers
    Originally posted by tony later
    The warranty replacement puts you back in the position you would have been in if it had not failed.

The original lead had a warranty until September 2018. When the original failed, and was replaced under warranty, that replacement was covered until September 2018 - no betterment, you were simply in the same place as if it hadn't failed.

...but if the part fails withing its manufacturing guidelines its not fit for purpose
    Originally posted by tony later
    Perhaps, perhaps not. You would need to take them to court to test that - but, for the purposes of that, you need to look at the part as being nearly 4yo, not <2yo. The warranty replacement did not give you any betterment, remember?

You do not have to buy a genuine BMW lead.
    The very first google result for "BMW i3 charge lead" is... https://evconnectors.com/ev-plug-bmw-i3-cable

But I'd also be suspecting some external contributory factor if they're repeatedly failing that rapidly. Have both failures been identical? How have they failed?
    • uknick
    • By uknick 17th Jun 19, 1:48 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    uknick
    OP, which lead broke, the granny charger (one with a 13 amp plug on it) or the thick blue python lead? The price you're quoting makes me think it's the granny charger.

If it was the granny charger, as already stated it's covered under the new car warranty and wouldn't get an extension past the original 3 year warranty.

However, if it was the blue python lead, these are not sold as part of the car but tend to be a dealer freebie, so asking for warranty on it may be a little difficult. Even then, the best you would get is 12 months, or whatever the standard BMW parts warranty is.

If you confirm the type of lead, we might be able to advise a course of action. There have been problems with the original design of the granny charger which may give you some scope for a replacement of the newer type.

The i3 Facebook group will be able to give you chapter and verse on the issues.
    • Smellyonion
    • By Smellyonion 17th Jun 19, 1:49 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 189 Thanks
    Smellyonion
    My view would be that if the same part failed again, I would argue that it was doomed to break, a faulty design maybe?

I would investigate to see if it is widespread issue.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 17th Jun 19, 1:52 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    uknick
    Why does it keep breaking, you're not driving off when it's still plugged in?
    Originally posted by a.turner
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not being sarcastic but, rather you don't know how the i3 operates and, I'm guessing, all electric cars.

The car won't let you drive away with the charging lead attached. It also won't let you drive off with the charging flap open.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Jun 19, 5:09 PM
    • 22,818 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    How droll.
    Originally posted by DoaM

Indeed, I'm guessing the poster has never heard the source material.

https://www.britishclassiccomedy.co.uk/woe-woe-and-thrice-woe-its-up-pompeii
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,677Users online

Martin's Twitter