Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackP123
    • By JackP123 14th Jun 19, 3:59 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    JackP123
    Converted Mill/Barn. New build or no new build.
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:59 PM
    Converted Mill/Barn. New build or no new build. 14th Jun 19 at 3:59 PM
    All,

I think Iím starting to uncover a grey area in New Build criteria.

I have an offer accepted on a converted barn. I have less than 15% deposit so non of the big lenders will offer me a mortgage as itís a common factor that new builds have a max LTV of 85%

Some mortgage lenders do accept higher - and thatís who Iíve been pursuing my mortgage with.

Then came the issue that my mortgage lender didnít accept the warranty that was coming with the home - AEDIS warranty.

Infact non of the lenders that accept higher LTV on new builds accept AEDIS!

So, Iím back to square one.

Until then, I heard back from the vendor solicitor saying she had spoken to her client and the client was with the builders who had mentioned that this isnít a new build?!?!! The building has been there for 200 years (accepted) and the fabric of the building is original therefore the builders wonít be issuing any new build cerification as it isnít!

But when going back to some of the big lenders and explaining this, they refuse to accept and their criteria is simply if the home has been converted and newly registered itís a new build....

How on earth do I get around this? Iím never going to get the new build warranties as the developers are saying that they donít need to issue a new build warranty as it isnít - and this is as per their regulations.. but lenders disagree?

Where does this leave me and what can I do? Whoís right whoís wrong?
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Jun 19, 4:15 PM
    • 12,217 Posts
    • 10,787 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:15 PM
    No right or wrong. Lenders make their rules which they believe best serve their business as do builders and in this case neither appear to be contravening any relevant legislation.

If all lenders say no to AEDIS then builder either has to wait for cash buyer or obtain a warranty acceptable to lenders
    Last edited by lincroft1710; 14-06-2019 at 4:19 PM.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 14th Jun 19, 4:15 PM
    • 19,524 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    ACG
    The question is more about whether or not the lender treats it the same as a new build for underwriting purposes.

In the same way that someone who works for a limited company but owns 40% of the company is treated the same as someone who is self employed - for underwriting purposes.

Ultimately you need to find a lender who will accept the warranty (which is one I have never heard of) or they need to get a more recognised warranty. They can say no all day long but if it is not mortgageable they are going to find they struggle to sell it - I am not saying it is not mortgageable btw.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • JackP123
    • By JackP123 7th Aug 19, 7:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JackP123
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:14 PM
    • 7th Aug 19, 7:14 PM
    If anyone is interested - the seller gave up and recognised it was new build. Appropriate warranties provided and lender satisfied
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,601Users online

Martin's Twitter