Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Guybrush_Threepwood
    • By Guybrush_Threepwood 14th Jun 19, 3:00 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 241Thanks
    Guybrush_Threepwood
    "IVA" cold-calls - what can be done?
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:00 PM
    "IVA" cold-calls - what can be done? 14th Jun 19 at 3:00 PM
    I'm sure I'm not alone here... your phone is ringing, it's from a number you do not recognise... you pick it up and the person introduces themselves as "Mike" or "Kevin" (or some other typically 'British' sounding name) but in a heavy foreign accent. They then claim to be able to write-off up to 70% of your debt...

What can be done about these calls? I get them daily now. I can't just ignore the numbers as I do get calls for work from different numbers that I do need to answer.

I've now blocked around 80-90 different numbers that they call on. Sometimes the number shown is a landline style, sometimes a mobile, but it's always the same story.

No amount of "Please take me off of your list" or "I have no debt" seems to work. I just block the number and then they call again the next day from a different one.

It's driving me mad...
    Current Debt: May 2018: 83,035.95 - July 2019: 52,079.45
Page 1
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 14th Jun 19, 3:04 PM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 5,782 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:04 PM
    Just say “Hang on a minute “ put the phone on the table -Not the cradle- and walk away.

That’s what I do.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jun 19, 3:04 PM
    • 18,487 Posts
    • 17,385 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi,

I have a blocking service on my phone, plus one with my provider, thats all you can do really, changing your number and going ex directory will help, these people seem to operate with impunity, i found TPS to be utterly useless.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • Guybrush_Threepwood
    • By Guybrush_Threepwood 14th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Guybrush_Threepwood
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    Thanks - I am registered with TPS but haven't noticed any real difference. How do these 'firms' make it appear as though they are calling from a UK number? Are UK based phone companies providing them a service or is it just a trick they use...?

I try to keep my composure, but was rude to one of them a few weeks back. I told him I wasn't interested (in colourful language) before he had said much, and he had a go at me for declaring my lack of interest before I knew what he was offering. I told him he was about to suggest an IVA and he hung up.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 14th Jun 19, 3:15 PM
    • 18,487 Posts
    • 17,385 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:15 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:15 PM
    How do these 'firms' make it appear as though they are calling from a UK number? .
    Originally posted by Guybrush_Threepwood

Not really a tech geek, but i would asume its some autodialler software, that makes it appear as though it is, you can do anything with the right equipment and a laptop these days.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 14th Jun 19, 6:31 PM
    • 3,948 Posts
    • 7,952 Thanks
    JCS1
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:31 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:31 PM
    I found I am getting a lot more since clearing all my debts!

I just keep blocking on my mobile.......
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 14th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 46,234 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    Thanks - I am registered with TPS but haven't noticed any real difference. How do these 'firms' make it appear as though they are calling from a UK number? Are UK based phone companies providing them a service or is it just a trick they use...?

I try to keep my composure, but was rude to one of them a few weeks back. I told him I wasn't interested (in colourful language) before he had said much, and he had a go at me for declaring my lack of interest before I knew what he was offering. I told him he was about to suggest an IVA and he hung up.
    Originally posted by Guybrush_Threepwood

He has no right to expect you to 'listen to see what he is offering'. You haven't invited the conversation. Just put the phone down.

• jwil
    • By jwil 15th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 11,094 Posts
    • 40,594 Thanks
    jwil
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 7:28 AM
    You can report them to the ICO. I do that each time, it's a pain but it's evidence should they ever manage to prosecute someone.

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 15th Jun 19, 11:39 AM
    • 6,024 Posts
    • 7,464 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:39 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:39 AM
    If you say you don't want what cold callers are offering they can argue - if you say you can't talk at work or can't take personal calls on a work phone and hang up it doesn't give them an in to argue.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • molerat
    • By molerat 15th Jun 19, 2:33 PM
    • 21,424 Posts
    • 15,678 Thanks
    molerat
    I tend to ignore calls where I don't recognise the number but if I do get one I tell them to !!!! off. Doesn't stop the calls but certainly makes me feel better
    Last edited by molerat; 15-06-2019 at 2:36 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • RecentPost
    • By RecentPost 16th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    RecentPost
    Same problem, i got rid them by telling them i already have a debt solution and therefore cant have another one.
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Jun 19, 2:35 PM
    • 9,518 Posts
    • 49,003 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    It's a pain getting these calls in spite of being TPS, I'm right with you there. How I deal with cold callers generally depends on the mood I'm in at the time. Playing "the most stupid person in the world" can be quite amusing as they often start thinking you're so gullible they're going to get an easy sign up....but carrying on being "stupid" and misunderstanding everything they say eventually makes them give up through sheer boredom. Asking them where they got the information that they are saying they have (works best for the "I'm calling about the accident you had" ones) about you is quite rewarding these days since GDPR came along. had one on Saturday who was "ringing about the problem you have with your computer" and claimed he was from the global technical helpline for all windows and Mac computers in the UK....when I stopped laughing I asked him to provide me with his company name and website address...he prevaricated over the name and only got as far as "www." before I heard someone hissing at him in the background not to give the website address... rofl either way that's 5 minutes he's not going to spend scamming someone else. Anyone who starts by saying "Can I ask you whether..." generally just gets "No, you can't" which usually throws them off track a bit.

If I have the time I work on the basis that as with the one above, me wasting their time gives them less time to scam someone more gullible. If I don't I tell them to go away - how politely depends on how little time I have. I get nowhere near as many calls of that type as I used to though - I suspect because there are lists doing the rounds of "good numbers to call" and if you waste enough of their time eventually your number starts getting taken off those lists.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    • Guybrush_Threepwood
    • By Guybrush_Threepwood 25th Jul 19, 12:27 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Guybrush_Threepwood
    Thanks all for the advice above. My list of blocked numbers is now at 103. Still getting calls most days but latest tactic is to tell them that the person they are asking for (i.e. me!) has passed away. Seems to have reduced the frequency a bit.
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 25th Jul 19, 4:10 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 2,345 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    I get loads of phone calls, I was going to suggest watching a youtube video but having reviewed it its a mite offensive, sorry
    Last edited by tallyhoh; 25-07-2019 at 4:14 PM.
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 21,840 so far!
    • Humdinger1
    • By Humdinger1 1st Aug 19, 3:56 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    Humdinger1
    Guybrush, I have a free app that cuts out many scam numbers before your phone rings. Not sure if it's ok to name but using 4s for the letter its m4numbe4 hope that helps
    • tealady
    • By tealady 1st Aug 19, 4:33 PM
    • 3,146 Posts
    • 4,099 Thanks
    tealady
    I just pretend I have died, tends to confuse them a bit especially with the "I am ringing regarding your accident ones"
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter