Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justnotheralias
    • By justnotheralias 14th Jun 19, 1:38 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    justnotheralias
    alot to do on doer upper
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:38 PM
    alot to do on doer upper 14th Jun 19 at 1:38 PM
    Hi, my wife and I have had an offer accepted on a house and have just had the resultsbsck from the homebuyers. We knew it needed work but there is significantly more than we anticipated. Absbetos in the ceiling, asbestos in the drainpipe bathroom irrecoverable etc. We're paying toward the top end of what it is worth and wanted some advice on how to approach the estate agent and persuade them and (hopefully) the vendor that it is in their interests to swallow the remediation costs as close to fully as possible?

Thanks for your thoughts.

In
Page 1
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 14th Jun 19, 1:51 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:51 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:51 PM
    Hi, my wife and I have had an offer accepted on a house and have just had the resultsbsck from the homebuyers. We knew it needed work but there is significantly more than we anticipated. Absbetos in the ceiling, asbestos in the drainpipe bathroom irrecoverable etc. We're paying toward the top end of what it is worth and wanted some advice on how to approach the estate agent and persuade them and (hopefully) the vendor that it is in their interests to swallow the remediation costs as close to fully as possible?

Thanks for your thoughts.

In
    Originally posted by justnotheralias
    Many older houses contain asbestos
    In London thousands of 1930's semis with integral Garages will have the walls lined with asbestos.
    My understanding is that asbestos was used in UK homebuilding industry until 1999 and about half of all houses may contain it.
    It is as a rule perfectly benign if not disturbed as it is only the fibers that give trouble and those cannot jump through paint
    The vendor could therefore suggest that remediation is not required
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 14th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    babyblade41
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:58 PM
    My house has artex on every ceiling.. doesn't cost much to get that remedied.. if that is the main worry then for me it wouldn't bother
    If I was the vendor I wouldn't reduce my price on that alone... what was the valuation ??
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    • 29,567 Posts
    • 102,450 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    We're paying toward the top end of what it is worth and wanted some advice on how to approach the estate agent and persuade them and (hopefully) the vendor that it is in their interests to swallow the remediation costs as close to fully as possible?.
    Originally posted by justnotheralias
    What the others say about Artex and drainpipe asbestos is correct, but if the bathroom is 'irrecoverable' then, you could easily spend 8k -10k on a quality replacement, so I might use that as the best leverage for a reduction.
    Without knowing the house, this is all I can say, but obviously no one sensible puts a 3.5k bathroom into a moderately expensive house. You might not expect all of the 'recovery' to be covered, however.

Key in all this is the surveyor's valuation. Is there something they've written which indicates it's overpriced in view of the need for immediate attention to a key functional part of the house. Is it a 3?
    Last edited by Davesnave; 14-06-2019 at 4:38 PM.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,708Users online

Martin's Twitter