Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jontm
    • By jontm 14th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jontm
    Selling two houses to buy one
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    Selling two houses to buy one 14th Jun 19 at 12:57 PM
    Hi All,

I am hoping someone can provide some advice with regards to selling two houses to buy one.

My partner and I both have our own houses and are looking to buy one together. We unfortunately do not have the option to move into one house whilst we sell the other, as children are involved.

I assume selling both houses at the same time is our only option, as the equity from both will be needed.

We have not yet found a house to buy so I am currently just trying to fully understand if there are any other options and if anyone who has done this can offer some advice to simplify the process and make it as stress free as possible

Any help would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Jun 19, 1:05 PM
    • 37,376 Posts
    • 23,062 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:05 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:05 PM
    Timing 2 sales to one purchase just makes creating the chain a bit more difficult.

if you need the equity from both then if one sells quicker than the other you may need to be creative to bridge the gap

Price to make it worth someone waiting a bit.
    Squeeze in one
    Tent in the garden
    Go on holiday
    move in with parents/friends/ship the kids of to grannies.
    A mixture of of the above spreading people around.

Could do a rental and delay the purchase.
    • jontm
    • By jontm 14th Jun 19, 1:21 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jontm
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:21 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I do like the idea of a tent in the garden....
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th Jun 19, 2:07 PM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 19,433 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:07 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:07 PM
    If at all possible, I'd go with the option of selling one before the other.

Tell the children the squash is temporary and hold out the lure of rooms of their own when the new house is purchased.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 14th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 4,937 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    If you price competitively you should hopefully be able to sell two houses more or less at the same time with maybe just a few weeks of squishing up and playing sardines.

How many children and bedrooms are we talking about?

It will be easier to stage and sell houses when not over crowded so I would be inclined to get both on the market at same time and looking at their best, hopefully both will get sale agreed and then it won't matter so much if one completes before the other and you have the remaining house full of people before you move to the big place as at least you will have things moving and agreed (being optimistic here) Tents in the garden (or in a friend's garden for viewings ?? ) can be quite an adventure for small people , or just clear one bedroom and have 'indoor camping' and hide everything in the shed for viewings etc.

Think of the small space people live in when camping and see if you can work it in one of the houses. It's not for ever . You never know it might just work out anyway and fit together but plan for flexibility and get the kids onboard to 'help' , it might be good teambuilding for all living together anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

2,960Users online

Martin's Twitter