Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • native
    • By native 14th Jun 19, 11:20 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    native
    EDF energy smart meter
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:20 AM
    EDF energy smart meter 14th Jun 19 at 11:20 AM
    EDF easy online exclusive July20v3 says that to agree to this tariff by agreeing to be contacted for smart meter installation. When the contact is sent the agreement also says about having a smart meter installed when they come available in my area. Two different statements. Martin on his page say edf informed him that we do not have to accept a smart meter and can stay on that tariff. When I contacted edf they said they are not responsible for what people write and smart meter installation applies. I have more confidence in Martin than this company but it seems sharp practice. By the way I did cancel the contract I will not be dictated to. .
Page 1
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 14th Jun 19, 11:56 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:56 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:56 AM
    I don`t agree with you at all, or MSE if thats the advice they are dishing out, its complete rubbish.
    Terms and Conditions of the tariff are as clear as day. If you do not agree, dont apply for a smart meter tariff. Could it be simpler ?
    All of the big 6 are having to implement these smart meter tariffs because of a Tory Energy Minister wanting to court publicity with his big idea of offering up a pretty gutless "pick and choose " option of which type of meter you happen to fancy, whereas around the world and most of Europe they had the courage to make them mandatory.
    Italy and ROI for instance have virtually completed their roll outs to 100% smart with little fuss and extra expense of giving occupiers a say on what flavour of meter they fancy.
    • native
    • By native 14th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    native
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    You have not understood what I said. The information from edf is not consistent and it is mis- leading. Are you saying Martin lied about the communication from edf. Also there are many people who do not want or need a smart meter. I have managed my account perfectly well for many years I do not need a machine to tell how much I am using.
    • The Fat Controller
    • By The Fat Controller 14th Jun 19, 12:17 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    The Fat Controller
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:17 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:17 PM
    If you wish to stick your head in the sand regarding smart meters, that's your choice.

However, you will increasingly find that the better deals will not be available to you.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 14th Jun 19, 2:29 PM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 1,162 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:29 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:29 PM
    As I understand it, if you have been on a standard tarriff for years then you can't be forced to have a smart meter.

If you sign up for a new tariff (which has the small print saying a SM is required) then it is required!

As said, it is difficult to find a cheap tarriff that does not require a smart meter. (probably the small companies).
    If anyone has the answer, let me know......
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 14th Jun 19, 8:43 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:43 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:43 PM
    I'm on this tariff and I have no intention of having a smart meter fitted. Here's what EDF say:

Smart Meter: Signing up to this tariff means you are agreeing to have a Smart meter fitted. If you decide you don’t want one, you will have the option to opt out at a later date.

The statement is a bit ambiguous, so make of it what you will.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 14th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:31 PM
    I'm on this tariff and I have no intention of having a smart meter fitted. Here's what EDF say:

Smart Meter: Signing up to this tariff means you are agreeing to have a Smart meter fitted. If you decide you donít want one, you will have the option to opt out at a later date.

The statement is a bit ambiguous, so make of it what you will.
    Originally posted by johnsmith1890
    It certainly is ambiguous. I will check the T and C s of this tariff myself. I`m keen on finding out exactly when this "later date " comes into force (is it 6 months or 6 years ) and if there is a charge for either removing the smart meter or an engineer visit to remove the comms hub or SIM card.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 15th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    i have just checked the T and Cs on this tariff and its as clear as day, nothing ambiguous about it all..Very good gas rate, so I m tempted myself.The exact wording is
    "By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to have EDF Energy install a smart meter in your property when they become available in your area ". This is the only wording in the T/C s in Ukpowers.co.uk comp site for a smart meter reference for the Easy online exclusive July 20v3 .
    Tariff is gas 2.8p kwh + 16 p a day sdc electric is 13.5 p/kwh +16p dsc.
    OP, johnsmith18 ,and MSE appear to have read something into the T/c s which does nt exist
    Last edited by Houbara; 15-06-2019 at 8:54 AM.
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 15th Jun 19, 9:01 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    • 15th Jun 19, 9:01 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 9:01 AM
    i have just checked the T and Cs on this tariff and its as clear as day, nothing ambiguous about it all..Very good gas rate, so I m tempted myself.The exact wording is
    "By switching to this tariff you are agreeing to have EDF Energy install a smart meter in your property when they become available in your area ". This is the only wording in the T/C s in Ukpowers.co.uk comp site for a smart meter reference for the Easy online exclusive July 20v3 .
    Tariff is gas 2.8p kwh + 16 p a day sdc electric is 13.5 p/kwh +16p dsc.
    OP, johnsmith18 ,and MSE appear to have read something into the T/c s which does nt exist
    Originally posted by Houbara
    But other posters are referring to information provided after signing up. You're challenging their arguments without having done so.

This isn't the first thread about confusing messages about smart meters and probably won't be the last.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 15th Jun 19, 9:40 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Houbara
    But other posters are referring to information provided after signing up. You're challenging their arguments without having done so.

This isn't the first thread about confusing messages about smart meters and probably won't be the last.
    Originally posted by Talldave
    OK, can anyone give me an official print out or a link of EDF reneging on their clear initial T and Cs about accepting smart meters and softening it to, "if you change your mind , you can stay on the tariff " .
    OFGEM may have something to say about this tactic as it is anti smart meter in its ambiguous t/c s. Suck people in with a smart meter tariff, then soften it later does nt appear to be ethical
    The tariff is pretty good so I `m tempted to switch and find out..£70 exit fees a bit steep though
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 15th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    OK, can anyone give me an official print out or a link of EDF reneging on their clear initial T and Cs about accepting smart meters and softening it to, "if you change your mind , you can stay on the tariff " .
    OFGEM may have something to say about this tactic as it is anti smart meter in its ambiguous t/c s. Suck people in with a smart meter tariff, then soften it later does nt appear to be ethical
    The tariff is pretty good so I `m tempted to switch and find out..£70 exit fees a bit steep though
    Originally posted by Houbara
    They have to recoup those meter costs from somewhere !
    • PeterHR
    • By PeterHR 16th Jun 19, 11:53 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    PeterHR
    I have a gripe about EDF smart metering and account management.

We had SMETS2 meter installed in February.

Go into my myedfenery account online and it says I have a huge credit (£400 overpaid), and they last read the electric meter in April and the Gas two weeks ago ... but they are actually reading both every 30 minutes.

My grip is why cant they pull the current meter readings into the accounting system on the day they pull the DD (that would be a day or two before they get payment) - then we would really know where we stood on the account.
    • robbo990
    • By robbo990 16th Jun 19, 12:41 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    robbo990
    Similar issue to you, except my smart meters are in dumb mode, but I provide monthly readings and showing £589 credit. Spoke to EDF who said they only produce statements twice a year.

Ended up using spreadsheet to auto calculate costs/standing charge from readings so I know I'm covering what I'm using. (Actually only £200 in credit)
    Official SOS Club number 004 - Dry until (05.01.10)
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 16th Jun 19, 1:38 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    matelodave
    I have a gripe about EDF smart metering and account management.

We had SMETS2 meter installed in February.

Go into my myedfenery account online and it says I have a huge credit (£400 overpaid), and they last read the electric meter in April and the Gas two weeks ago ... but they are actually reading both every 30 minutes.

My grip is why cant they pull the current meter readings into the accounting system on the day they pull the DD (that would be a day or two before they get payment) - then we would really know where we stood on the account.
    Originally posted by PeterHR
    When my smart meter was smart with SSE I could get half hourly readings but they only made up the bill once every three months so you didn't know whether you were in credit or debit unless you kept your own spreadsheets.

Thats why people get into a mess with their bills, they think they are in credit when in reality their bills can be be three six or even 12 months out of date.

Even my present supplier produces a bill four days before my DD comes out so it always looks like I'm in debt which gets back into credit four days later.

They also seem to have a random number generator for their estimates if I don't actually give them a reading on the exact billing day. Just one day early can add an extra 50-100kwh to my bill (even more if I miss it by being on holiday when they then guess a whole month).

They've got nine months worth of previous data to make better estimates but it seems to be beyond them to use the data that they've already got.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 16th Jun 19, 2:25 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    This is the saddest thing about smart metering. It's pointless whilst the industry dinosaurs continue to exhibit their long standing incompetence at handling even two readings a month.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Jun 19, 2:51 PM
    • 21,385 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    molerat
    They also seem to have a random number generator for their estimates if I don't actually give them a reading on the exact billing day. Just one day early can add an extra 50-100kwh to my bill (even more if I miss it by being on holiday when they then guess a whole month).

They've got nine months worth of previous data to make better estimates but it seems to be beyond them to use the data that they've already got.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    My energy co are similar. I am pretty consistent at about 8.5 kWh per day average. If I give a read early they add an estimate of about 20 per day, if I give a reading late but within the billing window they will reduce that figure by around 5 per day.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 16th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Peter999
    I have managed my account perfectly well for many years I do not need a machine to tell how much I am using.
    Originally posted by native

Erm, isn't that what the machine you've already got is doing?
    • wild666
    • By wild666 16th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    wild666
    EDF easy online exclusive July20v3 says that to agree to this tariff by agreeing to be contacted for smart meter installation. When the contact is sent the agreement also says about having a smart meter installed when they come available in my area. Two different statements. Martin on his page say edf informed him that we do not have to accept a smart meter and can stay on that tariff. When I contacted edf they said they are not responsible for what people write and smart meter installation applies. I have more confidence in Martin than this company but it seems sharp practice. By the way I did cancel the contract I will not be dictated to. .
    Originally posted by native
    I would be asking if by agreeing to have a smart meter installed is the tariff for both gas and electric cheaper, and will remain cheaper than any other tariff they have? Secondly will the daily standing charge be lower than all their other daily tariffs?
    If not then don't have it installed. I had a smart meter installed with British gas and their daily charge was about 2p a day, at least, dearer than their other tariffs and the Kw/r price was dearer as well so I hit their free electric for all I could even having lights on in the day washing and drying batch cooking, if it used electric I turned it on for that 8 hour period.
    Someone please tell me what money is
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 16th Jun 19, 7:01 PM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    nic_c
    The T&C state having the meter installed when they are available in your area but not what happens if you don't. EDF outsource to a fitter and opt you in to get it fitted. The company will call to arrange an appointment, but if you don't agree an appointment, like by not speaking to them, then you won't get one installed. So you have agreed to have one installed just not agreed when. It's sort of like Brexit we are going to leave just haven't decided how/when.

They are pre-approving people because that's what the stats needed to comply with government targets -numbers who have agreed to have one installed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter