Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • number9
    • By number9 14th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    • 164Posts
    • 16Thanks
    number9
    giving out bank details to a buyer
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:58 AM
    giving out bank details to a buyer 14th Jun 19 at 10:58 AM
    Hi,
    We have a prospective buyer for a puppy. The puppy cannot leave us for another 2-3 weeks. Th ebuyer wants to pay us, in full, now by transferring the payment to us. They asked for bank details.
    I'm reading conflicting views about whether or not this is safe for us to do so. Some say that all they can do is pay in. Others say DDs etc can be set up.

Advice welcome on the best way of dealing with this. The buyer wants to secure the purchase now and lives almost 300 miles away from us.
Page 1
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 14th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    All they need to transfer money to you is the same information that is on a cheque (remember those?) and we used to hand those out all over the place. You give them your account number and sort code. They can only transfer money in, not take it out.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 14th Jun 19, 11:41 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:41 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:41 AM
    Another thing I would like to add. Are you happy to sell your puppy to someone who hasn't even seen it yet? I certainly wouldn't want to buy an animal I hadn't seen or sell to someone who is prepared to do that. That is setting off more alarm bells than the bank transfer to be honest.
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 14th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    We have sold a couple of litters. I tend to do as much vetting as possible upfront before I even consider letting them visit to see them. In terms of payment, I ask for a deposit of say 100 paid by cash or bank transfer with the balance on collection. I had no issue with giving my bank account details (it was a savings account in any case).

I would not ask for full payment before collection as you don't know if the puppy will pass all it's healthchecks etc
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 14th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:55 AM
    We have sold a couple of litters. I tend to do as much vetting as possible upfront before I even consider letting them visit to see them. In terms of payment, I ask for a deposit of say 100 paid by cash or bank transfer with the balance on collection. I had no issue with giving my bank account details (it was a savings account in any case).

I would not ask for full payment before collection as you don't know if the puppy will pass all it's healthchecks etc
    Originally posted by stripeyfox
    I agree that a deposit is normal in these circumstances, but paying the full amount before even seeing the dog and the conditions it is being kept in is worrying.
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 14th Jun 19, 12:59 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:59 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:59 PM
    I agree that a deposit is normal in these circumstances, but paying the full amount before even seeing the dog and the conditions it is being kept in is worrying.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Agree. I would not even consider selling to a buyer who I hadn't met. I have point blank refused to sell if I thought the buyer was unsuitable (in my own opinion).
    • askmeaboutsofas
    • By askmeaboutsofas 14th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    askmeaboutsofas
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    Advice welcome on the best way of dealing with this. The buyer wants to secure the purchase now and lives almost 300 miles away from us.

Honestly? Don't sell live animals sight unseen to a buyer you've never met in an area you've never been. This is a terrible idea, for you, for the buyer, and for the dog you're selling.

To keep your bank details safe you can set up a savings account as stripeyfox mentioned, and use that for payments made via bank transfer. When money goes it, you immediately transfer it out again, that way if you give the details of that account to a scammer they won't be able to do much with it.
    Beware of the buyer attempting to overpay you by another method (.e.g cheque) and then asking for a refund of the overpayment, it's a common scam.

And please, do your checks and research on the buyer before you let anyone take the dog from you. It is beyond strange that someone buying a puppy would not want to see it live in person before they make payment in full. How do they know that's the puppy they want? How do they know it's in good health, that its' temperament is suitable for them, that they even like that particular puppy?

Unless of course it doesn't matter which puppy they get, because they're planning to sell it on or use it for some other money making scheme. Is the dog from a breed commonly used for fighting? Is it from a good pedigree? Is the buyer a puppy farm? You really, really should check them out as thoroughly as you can.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Jun 19, 3:30 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 15,137 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:30 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:30 PM
    Can you sell a puppy on eBay ? Car boots and Jumble Sales not much better...
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • _shel
    • By _shel 14th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 4,325 Thanks
    _shel
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:35 PM

Originally posted by stripeyfox
    https://www.gov.uk/dog-breeding-licence-england-scotland-wales

Do you need a licence yet?
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 15th Jun 19, 6:24 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    stripeyfox

no, we only breed one litter every couple of years max
    • ailey
    • By ailey 15th Jun 19, 10:01 AM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    ailey
    I have read before that people paying by Bank Transfer can get the money transferred back to them although I don't know the ins and outs of that but 'asmeaboutsofas' above has suggested moving the money as soon as it's in the account so that might avoid any scamming. Hopefully if they did try to transfer the money back to themselves it wouldn't put your account into a debit balance if it was only used for quick in and out again transactions. I have seen many people telling others to avoid bank transfers.

I do remember seeing a programme about scammers who were buying a car from someone and they sent a 'courier' to collect it after doing a bank transfer. Once the car was collected, they then reversed the bank transfer so the car owner lost the car and the money. This wasn't a one-off scam either as they were doing that and shipping the cars abroad apparently.

A few years ago I was selling a few furniture items and I got the same message that the person would send a 'courier' to collect a table and chairs and would pay by bank transfer. Luckily I googled at the time and it was another scam which was happening in the same way as the car.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Jun 19, 10:12 AM
    • 19,862 Posts
    • 50,437 Thanks
    elsien
    You can't just reverse a bank transfer unilaterally.
    Usually it's where the money has been accidentally paid into the wrong account and is transferred back with the agreement of the recipient. And it's certainly not instantaneous.
    I suspect you are thinking of bank drafts which were used to scam people. Direct payments into a bank account are safe to do.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • ailey
    • By ailey 15th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    ailey
    You can't just reverse a bank transfer unilaterally.
    Usually it's where the money has been accidentally paid into the wrong account and is transferred back with the agreement of the recipient. And it's certainly not instantaneous.
    I suspect you are thinking of bank drafts which were used to scam people. Direct payments into a bank account are safe to do.
    Originally posted by elsien

Thanks elsien. I'm not too sure as I've never used either but just going by information I've read and people saying not to use bank transfers. There is a site where people sell tickets and there has been someone who was scamming others by saying that they didn't have a Paypal account and wanted the payment by Bank Transfer when others were buying her tickets. She then didn't forward the tickets and the buyers had no protection as they would have had if it had been Paypal transactions. This person scammed various people doing this. Different circumstances but always good to know.
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 15th Jun 19, 8:09 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    seashore22
    Thanks elsien. I'm not too sure as I've never used either but just going by information I've read and people saying not to use bank transfers. There is a site where people sell tickets and there has been someone who was scamming others by saying that they didn't have a Paypal account and wanted the payment by Bank Transfer when others were buying her tickets. She then didn't forward the tickets and the buyers had no protection as they would have had if it had been Paypal transactions. This person scammed various people doing this. Different circumstances but always good to know.
    Originally posted by ailey
    But that's the reverse of the op's situation and proves that if you send money by bank transfer then you can't recall it. I'm sure those who sent the money tried and it failed.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Jun 19, 12:25 AM
    • 62,690 Posts
    • 45,097 Thanks
    soolin
    Originally posted by ailey
    Yes that is correct, a buyer can't reverse or get back their payment without recipient's agreement, and that contradicts what you said in your earlier post. Bank transfers are safe for a seller, not at all safe for a buyer.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 16th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 7,589 Posts
    • 32,324 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Can you sell a puppy on eBay ? Car boots and Jumble Sales not much better...
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    No, you can't sell livestock on eBay, and the OP doesn't mention ebay.

What sort of puppy is it ? For someone to travel 300 miles to collect it suggests an uncommon breed. If not, I'd be wondering why they can't buy one locally

Having bought s puppy a couple of years ago, 300 is quite cheap, so I'd be questioning the sort of people buying it and what they want it for.
    Last edited by charlies_mum; 16-06-2019 at 9:12 AM.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th Jun 19, 7:40 PM
    • 3,867 Posts
    • 4,170 Thanks
    LadyDee
    All they need to transfer money to you is the same information that is on a cheque (remember those?) and we used to hand those out all over the place. You give them your account number and sort code. They can only transfer money in, not take it out.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Plus your signature and your address on the back. Happy days!
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 17th Jun 19, 1:31 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 15,137 Thanks
    NBLondon
    No, you can't sell livestock on eBay, and the OP doesn't mention ebay.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    So is it a Jumble Sale or a Car Boot then OP?

Might make a difference if the OP (who has not returned yet) is running an ongoing business or just selling off a litter. I'm guessing at that price it's a desirable breed.
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 17th Jun 19, 2:28 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    additionally I only ever list my litters on the Kennel Club website. I did list the first litter on Pets4Homes but it didn't raise much in the way of responses and those that did respond were not ideal owners in my opinion.

The KC website lists only that a litter is ready. No prices, no pictures. People email me and we strike up a conversation about their experience with dogs, family and work life etc and we go from there.

If people start haggling on the price right away, I walk away. If you're buying a puppy then trying to save 50 should not really be your first question!
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 17th Jun 19, 4:04 PM
    • 7,589 Posts
    • 32,324 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    So is it a Jumble Sale or a Car Boot then OP?

Might make a difference if the OP (who has not returned yet) is running an ongoing business or just selling off a litter. I'm guessing at that price it's a desirable breed.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Have you looked at the price of puppies lately ? A cockapoo costs about 1200 !
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,766Users online

Martin's Twitter