Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zayk786
    • By Zayk786 14th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Zayk786
    Gas Safe Certificate for Tennants
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    Gas Safe Certificate for Tennants 14th Jun 19 at 10:36 AM
    Hi,

I did not know to provide Gas Safe certificate to my tenants who stayed in my house for 11 months and now left.

They have suddenly came up telling me that they have reported me to HSE for this. Whilst they were in property they request some boiler works and I carried them works out straight away and they never complaint about anything or demanded gas certificate during their stay.

they suddenly want to report me to HSE for not giving them gas certificate in their 11 months stay.

Do I need to worry about something?

Thanks.
    ZAM
Page 1
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 14th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:41 AM
    Do you have a certificate that covers their stay?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 19, 10:42 AM
    • 49,588 Posts
    • 61,552 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:42 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:42 AM
    Are you still letting the property out? If yes, and you still have not got a valid gas report, yes - you are in trouble:
    1) HSE will be on your back. Big potential fines.Get a gas inspection now NOW.
    2) you can not get rid of your tenants. No S21 Notice will be valid.

What ELSE have you failed to do? EPC? Gov leaflet? Right to Rent immigration checks?

Are you managing the property yourself,or via an agent?
    * if yourself, you eed to educate yourself fast about letting law. see link below
    * if an agent, they are cr*p. Sack them. See link below.

* New landlords (1):advice & information :see links in next post

* New landlords (2): Essential links for further information

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?

* HSE (Gas Safety Certificate rules)

If you are no longer letting the property (probably best!), HSE will not be that concerned about a historic problem. As long as they don't suspect you will wait for their enquiry to complete and then just let it again........

One also wonders what prompted the tenants to report you after leaving.... My guess is there was a dispute over other matters (return of deposit perhaps?) and they felt a grudge...... if they were simply concerned about safety, they'd have taken action during the tenancy, not waited till they'd left!

Some more to this than has been stated!
    Last edited by G_M; 14-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.
    • Zayk786
    • By Zayk786 14th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zayk786
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    Property is not let now as I have moved back in myself and yes I had the certificate that covered their stay as the boiler was brand new, I just did not provide it to them.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 19, 10:53 AM
    • 49,588 Posts
    • 61,552 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:53 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:53 AM
    Ah! OK.
    Then HSE will not care. You had a certificate, the boiler was safe. HSE will be happy (esp as you are no longer letting). They may send you a letter effectively giving ou a hand-slap.

Make sure you send HSE a copy of the installation certificate as well as the tenancy agreement so they can see the former covers the dates of the latter.

You breached the Deregulation Act 2015 requiring you to give the tenants a copy and that had implication on the tenants' rights during the tenancy (eg no S21 would have been valid). But as the tenancy has now ended, that is history.
    Last edited by G_M; 14-06-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    • Zayk786
    • By Zayk786 14th Jun 19, 11:27 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Zayk786
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:27 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:27 AM
    Awesome.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

2,311Users online

Martin's Twitter