Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • waldom
    • By waldom 14th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    waldom
    Partner and I are both home owners planning to move in together
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    Partner and I are both home owners planning to move in together 14th Jun 19 at 9:16 AM
    My partner and I are both already homeowners but have decided to move in together at some point in the next 12 months.

Our preferred option is for me to sell my house and move closer to him and for us to live in that house. Whilst he keeps his flat in order to rent it out.

Would he still be taxed on the full amount of rent received for his flat in the same way as if he owned a second property. Or is it different if hes not on the mortgage for the house I buy and just paying me rent?
Page 1
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Jun 19, 9:31 AM
    • 12,191 Posts
    • 6,895 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:31 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:31 AM
    My partner and I are both already homeowners but have decided to move in together at some point in the next 12 months.

Our preferred option is for me to sell my house and move closer to him and for us to live in that house. Whilst he keeps his flat in order to rent it out.

Would he still be taxed on the full amount of rent received for his flat in the same way as if he owned a second property. Or is it different if hes not on the mortgage for the house I buy and just paying me rent?
    Originally posted by waldom
    Does his lender allow him to rent out the property?
    Income is income and is subject to the same new money rules.
    • Neutrinno
    • By Neutrinno 14th Jun 19, 9:57 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Neutrinno
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:57 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:57 AM

Originally posted by waldom
    Yes he will have to declare the income by completing a tax return and will be subject to normal tax on it.

He will need to check with his lender that he can get consent to let his property out.
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter