Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 13th Jun 19, 11:49 PM
    • 621Posts
    • 156Thanks
    JamesN
    Help to buy - settle now or at sale?
    • #1
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:49 PM
    Help to buy - settle now or at sale? 13th Jun 19 at 11:49 PM
    Hi

    Iíve had a look through the forum post on the help to buy guide. I guess Iím in an unusual situation as it focuses mostly on remortgaging to settle the help to buy loan.

    My situation is we are looking to sell our home. We purchased through help to buy. However, we are considering renting in another area whilst we look for a home. Given all the uncertainty weíd like a quick sale (helped by not having a chain on our side). Iíve heard target can be slow to process things so thought it best to investigate settling the loan in advance of the sale. This gives rise to a few questions.

    If I settle now and the valuation is £340k for the house. So £68k settlement. If I then manage to get £350k for the house I assume thatís my win. Whereas if I settle on completion the settlement would be £70k. Would target try and claw back an extra £2k if Iíd settled before hand or do they have no right of recourse there.

    I appreciate this isnít likely given the valuation is rics regulated and needs supporting evidence of 3 houses. In truth it could also go the other way (which I believe benefits target as they get the higher of sale price and valuation).

    The other question I had was around costs. I understand I have to get a valuation from a rics member in any event. From what Iíve seen this should be around the £250 mark (please say if thatís a rip off). However what would vary is the work from a solicitor. Iíd need elements of conveyancing for the settlement but Iíd also need it for the sale. Iíd like to think the settlement is less work but thatís just conjecture.

    Can anyone advise on what I should be paying for the solicitor to settle and whether itís worth combining this into the sale process rather than splitting it.

    Sorry for the waffle!
Page 1
    • bhughes1986
    • By bhughes1986 14th Jun 19, 8:32 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    bhughes1986
    • #2
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:32 AM
    • #2
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:32 AM
    I'd say wait until you sell - this is what we recently did.

    Positives:

    You know what HTB want back and therefore what it needs to sell for so you don't lose out.

    One set of conveyancing costs.

    As for the RICS surveyor/valuation cost, you can't avoid it. I think we paid £175 plus VAT which seemed to be the going rate in our area. I would wait to get the valuation done until you have accepted an offer - chances are the surveyor will be willing to match his valuation to the offer amount.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 14th Jun 19, 9:05 AM
    • 16,021 Posts
    • 19,221 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • #3
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:05 AM
    • #3
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:05 AM
    How confident are you that you'd get £350 and not £340? Or even £330?

    I cant see in the event of you selling for more they would be entitled to a clawback any more than you could get a refund if it sold for less but check the contract maybe theres a time out period?
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • ethank
    • By ethank 14th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    ethank
    • #4
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • #4
    • 14th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    I think you will end up doubling your conveyancing costs if you do this as two separate transactions. You might make a little bit more, but no guarantee.
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 14th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    JamesN
    • #5
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    • #5
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:30 AM
    Thanks. Seems we are thinking on the same wavelength. I might ring around some conveyancers to see if they’d be willing to do the settlement alone cheap.

    A house sold last year of the same type (4 year old new build) for £345k. Ours is probably better positioned as we have more driveway. So I’ve set that as my minimum.
    • ethank
    • By ethank 15th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    ethank
    • #6
    • 15th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    • #6
    • 15th Jun 19, 1:30 PM
    Do check your local market. I’m selling right now for 25k less than what I would have got a year ago. Our development is still building and they’ve dropped prices slightly which has an impact on us. Brexit has made this more of a sellers market.
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 16th Jun 19, 10:54 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    JamesN
    • #7
    • 16th Jun 19, 10:54 PM
    • #7
    • 16th Jun 19, 10:54 PM
    Do check your local market. Iím selling right now for 25k less than what I would have got a year ago. Our development is still building and theyíve dropped prices slightly which has an impact on us. Brexit has made this more of a sellers market.
    Originally posted by ethank
    My development is all sold now. There is a new one going up behind us and they are vastly more expensive than our asking price will be. If anything itís gone the other way for us which is good.

    Looking at getting it on the market this week so fingers crossed.
    • ethank
    • By ethank 17th Jun 19, 12:52 PM
    • 2,084 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    ethank
    • #8
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:52 PM
    • #8
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:52 PM
    Target took five days from receipt of the valuation to them to process it.
    I made sure that I rang them up on the day of the HTB valuation and paid the fee. It was pretty fast.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 17th Jun 19, 3:26 PM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • #9
    • 17th Jun 19, 3:26 PM
    • #9
    • 17th Jun 19, 3:26 PM
    Have you got a spare £68,000 in the bank to settle the equity loan without the funds from the sale of the property?
    • JamesN
    • By JamesN 19th Jun 19, 10:15 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    JamesN
    Have you got a spare £68,000 in the bank to settle the equity loan without the funds from the sale of the property?
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    Family member is willing to lend it to me and I can pay them back once sold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,606Users online

Martin's Twitter