Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paul.Wo
    • By Paul.Wo 13th Jun 19, 9:12 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paul.Wo
    Failed repair of tablet computer
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:12 PM
    Failed repair of tablet computer 13th Jun 19 at 9:12 PM
    Hi Everybody,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My 3 year old Android tablet developed an intermittent then permanent failure to charge via its USB port. I believe this was probably due to wear or damage to the connector. After some googling I found a company offering to fix my device for a reasonable price. I posted it off two weeks ago and it was returned apparently fixed 4 days later. I did notice that the connector seemed slightly misaligned, but was satisfied it was working. Then after 4 days, the intermittancy returned and it stopped charging at all after 6 days. I had paid 29 online by credit card.

Reporting this to the company their representative questioned whether I was using the correct charger, and claimed that with 4 years experience he had never seen such a repair fail so quickly. I know something about electronics and I don't believe him. A connector repair on a modern circuit board is a skilled manual job requiring good eyesight, dexterity and concentration. A rushed, tired or otherwise below par operator could easily make a poor job of it. Alternatively there could have been another fault on the board that they didn't spot.

Although their website mentions a 90 day warranty period, it is not exactly clear whether this applies to my repair job. Now, that I don't really trust the company should I be badgering them to take back my tablet and fix it properly or just give me a refund. Perhaps I should try another company, leaving this one a bad review on Trustpilot.

What would you do?
    Last edited by Paul.Wo; 13-06-2019 at 9:30 PM. Reason: Add payment details
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Jun 19, 9:36 AM
    • 6,440 Posts
    • 7,617 Thanks
    societys child
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:36 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:36 AM
    I know something about electronics. .
    What would you do?
    I'd have fixed it myself.

• Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 14th Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    I'd have fixed it myself.
    Originally posted by societys child
    I know plenty about electronics having been an electronics development engineer in the past but i do not have the necessary tools or skill to be able to rework at PCB level.
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 14th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    What would you do?
    Originally posted by Paul.Wo

I'd buy a fresh one then have a go at putting a new connector on myself once I've got the new one running, just for the sheer joy of fiddling with it.

If I were you, I'd give them another chance to put the USB connector on again, they ought to do it under the original 29 and their warranty.

And lay off the Trustpilot sulking, and accept that some faults just can't be sorted with such complicated devices, it may not be a simple connector issue, but you'd know that since you know a bit about electronics.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 14th Jun 19, 3:44 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:44 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 3:44 PM
    Use the warranty yep
    Let me Google that for you...
    • Spank
    • By Spank 14th Jun 19, 4:08 PM
    • 914 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Spank
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:08 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:08 PM
    To the people saying do it himself, replacing the USB connector is an easy job (just need a soldering iron, solder and wick), taking apart the tablet is quite a task.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    • 6,440 Posts
    • 7,617 Thanks
    societys child
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    To the people saying do it himself, replacing the USB connector is an easy job (just need a soldering iron, solder and wick), taking apart the tablet is quite a task.
    Originally posted by Spank
    It can be, that's where thought, experience and a bit of nous come in . .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,382Posts Today

8,628Users online

Martin's Twitter