Probate and renting

My mother is buying a house near me as I am now her carer.Her house is sold and the contracts are ready to exchange. The house she is buying the contracts are ready to exchange, However, the house she is buying is going through probate. It is empty as the owner unfortunately passed away. Is it possible for her to rent the property until the Grant of probate is issued and the sale can be completed.What are the possible pitiful, if any? Obviusly it is difficult to predict how long probate could take. Any answer, good or bad, would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It is possible, but unlikely that the seller's solicitors would recommend it, and it gives the seller a whole heap of things they have to do: gas and electrical safety certificates, a different kind of insurance, tax implications etc etc etc ...

it might be better to look at an 'proper' rental property, or - and this may be a radical thought - to look at a long term arrangement in a local travelodge / b&b. In either of those cases she might need to put her furniture etc into storage.

Here's hoping it doesn't get to this situation ... but they did it from choice!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,314
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Davsal wrote: »
    My mother is buying a house near me as I am now her carer.Her house is sold and the contracts are ready to exchange. The house she is buying the contracts are ready to exchange, However, the house she is buying is going through probate. It is empty as the owner unfortunately passed away. Is it possible for her to rent the property until the Grant of probate is issued and the sale can be completed.What are the possible pitiful, if any? Obviusly it is difficult to predict how long probate could take. Any answer, good or bad, would be welcome.
    Thanks in advance

The pitfalls are for the executors of the property being sold, so they may take some persuading. That said, it's worth asking if they would consider a conditional exchange of contracts, the conditions being (a) that probate is granted by [suggest a date perhaps six months hence] failing which she is entitled to withdraw without penalty and (b) she is permitted to move in and rent the property from the executors until such time as she either completes or withdraws.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure