Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mamabuddah
    • By mamabuddah 13th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 714Posts
    • 1,468Thanks
    mamabuddah
    Builder/Tradesman faulty workmanship..
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    Builder/Tradesman faulty workmanship.. 13th Jun 19 at 7:15 PM
    Works done involved a lot of decorative concrete being laid over 60sq metres...now, about 2 months after the work was done a crack has appeared the whole length of the job. Iíve been chasing the firm for well over a month re other bits of the job that were only able to be inspected after the bad weather had passed. They initially said they would visit the site to see.

They havenít made any effort and now they are ignoring phone calls.
    There were claims made about the finish, how it would wear and how long it would last...sadly this is turning out to either be false and most likely as a result of not being done right.

In Northern Ireland what sort of action can I take...is it small claims? Does that exist here? What other actions are open to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    No two ways about this one: Anything Free is not a Basic Right..it had to be earned...by someone, somewhere
Page 1
    • Eclipser
    • By Eclipser 14th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Eclipser
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:59 PM
    Hi

Small Claims Court
    https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/small-claims-process

or

Book an appointment with a Solicitor to discuss what legal options are available i.e letter of intent
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Jun 19, 4:06 PM
    • 19,334 Posts
    • 12,027 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:06 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:06 PM
    I had a similar issue some years ago. I would advise going to a solicitor, but basically i had an independent expert look at the issue and document it.

I then got a quote for the replace (roof windows) and sent the expert's document and the quote for the replacement to the supplier, with a letter stating that unless the problem was resolved to my satisfaction within 30 days, i would have a third party replace the windows and take them through the court for the cost of it.

Did the trick

BUT, i'd coordinate that through a solicitor.
    Last edited by motorguy; 14-06-2019 at 4:22 PM.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,453Posts Today

7,424Users online

Martin's Twitter