Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 13th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 19Thanks
    sajjed
    Excessive mobile data usage
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    Excessive mobile data usage 13th Jun 19 at 6:59 PM
    Hi all.
    I am on 02 sim only, have been for years, last month I upgraded to another sim only contract with 02, 3gb instead of 2gb. ( never used to use the 2gb within a month) since the upgrade data use is being eaten!
    I have a Iphone Xs before and after the sim upgrade.
    Auto play video is off
    Background app refresh is off.
    Wifi assist is off.
    In 6 days I have used 1.7 gb of data
    Any advice please what might be the cause of the excessive usage?
    02 say everything is ok at their end so they say its down to me using the data
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 13th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:17 PM
    If you're streaming things like Netflix down your mobile internet connection stuff like that eats through bandwidth like there is no tomorrow. That and maybe tethering.

Changing your contract with the provider doesn't magically make the phone do new things. This is something you've done to eat all that data that you say wasn't the case before you moved to the new contract.
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 13th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    If you're streaming things like Netflix down your mobile internet connection stuff like that eats through bandwidth like there is no tomorrow. That and maybe tethering.

Changing your contract with the provider doesn't magically make the phone do new things. This is something you've done to eat all that data that you say wasn't the case before you moved to the new contract.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I don’t stream don’t use Netflix or Youtube etc I don’t tether either.
    Have wifi at home and use laptop
    The last week i have only been out the house 1hour a day, 50 mins of that I was driving
    Nothing has changed on the way I use my phone. I am not a heavy internet user
    I am genuinely baffled on the data disappearing
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 19, 8:51 PM
    • 8,055 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:51 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:51 PM
    Hi all.
    I am on 02 sim only, have been for years, last month I upgraded to another sim only contract with 02, 3gb instead of 2gb. ( never used to use the 2gb within a month) since the upgrade data use is being eaten!
    I have a Iphone Xs before and after the sim upgrade.
    Auto play video is off
    Background app refresh is off.
    Wifi assist is off.
    In 6 days I have used 1.7 gb of data
    Any advice please what might be the cause of the excessive usage?
    02 say everything is ok at their end so they say its down to me using the data
    Originally posted by sajjed
    Go into the menu to “Settings” and to “Mobile Data”. It will show you which apps have used what amounts of data.
    ====
    • Grumpygit
    • By Grumpygit 13th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Grumpygit
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    Hi

Not in UK but Channel Islands and a lot of people over here have been complaining about excessive data usage and roaming charges whilst away either in UK or other places......me included.

Mobile data turned off, roaming turned off (as is wifi assist) and only using wifi but, the line from our provider is that if away, we should also ensure that location services are turned off as well as this is (according to them) what is causing the charges.

Now I appreciate that this is not the same issue as you face if you have a contract and don't have to roam, but I don't know if this is linked.

Most people (including me) have Iphones and our provider is blaming the phone not their service.

We don't believe them and I have yet to go in and complain myself but I thought that I would share this in case (for whatever reason) it's an issue with the Iphone not the service.

I haven't had this issue before and have gone away and done the same thing, it's only a recent thing that's being reported.
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 13th Jun 19, 9:57 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:57 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:57 PM
    Hi

Not in UK but Channel Islands and a lot of people over here have been complaining about excessive data usage and roaming charges whilst away either in UK or other places......me included.

Mobile data turned off, roaming turned off (as is wifi assist) and only using wifi but, the line from our provider is that if away, we should also ensure that location services are turned off as well as this is (according to them) what is causing the charges.

Now I appreciate that this is not the same issue as you face if you have a contract and don't have to roam, but I don't know if this is linked.

Most people (including me) have Iphones and our provider is blaming the phone not their service.

We don't believe them and I have yet to go in and complain myself but I thought that I would share this in case (for whatever reason) it's an issue with the Iphone not the service.

I haven't had this issue before and have gone away and done the same thing, it's only a recent thing that's being reported.
    Originally posted by Grumpygit
    Thanks. Maybe its the phone but I have had it since the Xs was released in September last year and it replaced iphone 6 and a iphone 5 before that, i thought i understood iphones and their settings .
    The phone is genuinely on my desk while i use laptop during the day apart from 1 hour a day when i am out driving for 50 mins .
    The phone when i am home connects with wifi not mobile data
    It is strange it only occurred since my sim contract update. Maybe coincidence but strange
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 13th Jun 19, 10:03 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:03 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:03 PM
    Go into the menu to “Settings” and to “Mobile Data”. It will show you which apps have used what amounts of data.
    Originally posted by d123
    I have earlier today ‘reset statistics’ it was showing what I had used since when i first got the phone back in September.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 14th Jun 19, 6:39 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:39 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:39 PM
    I’ve had the same issue this month with iPhone too. It could be storage assist within iCloud. So apps and photos etc are downloading from iCloud as I use them as they are not stored on the device to save space. I am having to manually switch off Mobile data in settings so that all the back ground work with iCloud is being done over WiFi only.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • d123
    • By d123 14th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 8,055 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    d123
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    I have earlier today ‘reset statistics’ it was showing what I had used since when i first got the phone back in September.
    Originally posted by sajjed
    It’s a pity you didn’t check which apps had downloaded the most before resetting.
    ====
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 14th Jun 19, 8:39 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    I’ve had the same issue this month with iPhone too. It could be storage assist within iCloud. So apps and photos etc are downloading from iCloud as I use them as they are not stored on the device to save space. I am having to manually switch off Mobile data in settings so that all the back ground work with iCloud is being done over WiFi only.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I have icloud drive turned off photos etc back up to my laptop when connected.
    phones 256gb storage so I have plenty of device space
    Background app refresh is set to wifi only.
    Wifi assist i have turned off
    Autoplay of videos is off
    I am really baffled why i have suddenly started using so much data.
    Nothing has changed with my phone and I am not out and about using more mobile data,

I have had to turn off mobile data but its defeating the object when I am out and about to have it turned off !
    Last edited by sajjed; 14-06-2019 at 8:42 PM.
    • bob99999
    • By bob99999 14th Jun 19, 9:57 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bob99999
    Hi
    Had a similar problem recently after I had sent and received some photos by email.
    Thought they had gone but apparently as i had gone over size limit, my iphone continued to try to send & receive over and over.
    Only found out after i had cleared and monitored data usage as to why i used gb's over a few days.
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 15th Jun 19, 7:07 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    Hi
    Had a similar problem recently after I had sent and received some photos by email.
    Thought they had gone but apparently as i had gone over size limit, my iphone continued to try to send & receive over and over.
    Only found out after i had cleared and monitored data usage as to why i used gb's over a few days.
    Originally posted by bob99999
    Thanks
    Just checked I have nothing in the outbox

Some helpful replies off everyone thanks.
    Hasn't solved my problem but good for future reference for myself and anyone else in my the same boat
    • bob99999
    • By bob99999 15th Jun 19, 7:29 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    bob99999
    Now that you have reset usage, hopefully you can see where the data is being used. Hopefully tallys to o2 website.
    Maybe doing a factory reset may help?
    • jjhdee
    • By jjhdee 20th Jun 19, 12:57 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    jjhdee
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    It could be this or you might have the application updates on auto. Check settings for that as I've experience this same thing before because of updates.
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 20th Jun 19, 7:40 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    All app updates are set to wifi only
    I don’t back up to icloud i back up on laptop, i have icloud drive turned off
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 20th Jun 19, 4:16 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Exemplar
    Hi

Originally posted by Grumpygit
    Research the term 'Non Web Data'
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 20th Jun 19, 7:03 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    Do iPhones still have WiFi Assist .. where it can use mobile data even if you're on WiFi?
    • sajjed
    • By sajjed 20th Jun 19, 8:01 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    sajjed
    Do iPhones still have WiFi Assist .. where it can use mobile data even if you're on WiFi?
    Originally posted by jbainbridge
    I have Iphone Xs it has wifi assist but I have deactivated it
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 20th Jun 19, 8:25 PM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    Sorry .. you mentioned that in the OP.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 21st Jun 19, 4:51 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I didn’t even know about WiFi assist, it’s hidden right down at the bottom of mobile data settings, hopefully switching that off will help save some data.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,654Users online

Martin's Twitter