Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glowhallow
    • By Glowhallow 13th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Glowhallow
    Increased direct debit
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    Increased direct debit 13th Jun 19 at 3:35 PM
    Hi everyone,

I switched gas and electric at the start of the year from SSE to Green Network Energy. The DD was about 7 cheaper and we had an estimated saving of about 100 if we switched. I've just had an email from GNE today saying my DD is increasing by 18, from 50/month to 68. I am concerned about the huge increase considering now it's going to cost considerably more each month compared to what we were paying.

Is there anything I can do about this proposed increase or do you know why it has increased by so much? Our usage has not changed (if anything it has decreased) compared to last year but the money we are paying doesn't seem to be covering the gas and electric we are using.

If anyone could offer any advice it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Mr.Everready
    • By Mr.Everready 13th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Mr.Everready
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    1st question....What are your actual readings ?

• Robin9
    • By Robin9 13th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:58 PM
    [QUOTE=Glowhallow;75921578]? Our usage has not changed (if anything it has decreased) compared to last year ............../QUOTE]

How do you know ? - please post your actual readings start of Jan 2018 - June 2018 and the same period for 2019 Ia assume you have been taking your own readings every month because even if your meters were Smart with the previous suppliers they won't be now and Green Energy will be guessing and hence guessing your DD
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Jun 19, 7:46 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,050 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:46 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:46 PM
    I switched gas and electric at the start of the year from SSE to Green Network Energy.
    So, you built up summer credit under SSE but none under Green Energy Network.

The DD was about 7 cheaper and we had an estimated saving of about 100 if we switched.
    You can set your DD to whatever you like (within reason). You should never go by monetary amounts unless you are looking at it based on actual usage.

Is there anything I can do about this proposed increase or do you know why it has increased by so much?
    1 - Is this based on actual or customer readings or estimates?
    2 - Lack of summer credit, as previously mentioned and switching during the heaviest months of the year will not help.

If you take an average over the year, you get all four seasons covered. SSE had the whole year to average over. However, all you have had is winter and spring with the new supplier. The months you use the most energy You will use far less in Summer and it is then that you will build you credit for the next winter and have an annual average.

Did you do your cost comparisons based on real energy use (by using your meter readings)? or did you go by how much you pay each month?

Have you supplied real readings or are they based on estimates?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,590Posts Today

8,941Users online

Martin's Twitter