Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andula
    • By Andula 13th Jun 19, 2:20 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andula
    Letting agent dispute - overcharging for minor work or is this reasonable?
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:20 PM
    Letting agent dispute - overcharging for minor work or is this reasonable? 13th Jun 19 at 2:20 PM
    I'm having to rent out my family home having moved to a new town but can't buy a place right now. We have had an increasingly bad relationship with our letting agent but we're stuck with them now for 12 months. New tenant has moved in and complained about doors not shutting properly and lock on shed not operational. I think the agents may have inflated the quote out of spite but I'm not sure what is reasonable.

What do you think is a reasonable quote for planing 2 internal doors and replacing their latches and supply and fit a latch housing on a garden shed. It's a 3 year old house so the doors are very easy to remove, we're not talking 70 year old painted over threadless screws. The company in question is a non-VAT registered (if that's relevant) local property maintenance/handyman.
Page 2
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Jun 19, 7:59 PM
    • 16,021 Posts
    • 19,221 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Just another vote to say that that's a very reasonable quote and it's ridiculous to think they've "increased it out of spite". I'm surprised along with everyone else it's that low. The individual items of work aren't the issue it's the time. Not just the time in the job but the time to get there and back. Probably works out best part of a day which leaves no time to do anything else so 135 for a day is cheap. I was being charged out at 10x that years ago.
    Just wait until you need something serious fixing. Perhaps you should have sold the house.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 13th Jun 19, 8:41 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    stragglebod
    Everyone's assuming that this is work that the OP is obliged to carry out. Did the doors close properly before the tenant moved in? Are you obliged to provide a lock for the shed or is that the tenant's responsibility? If it's your responsibility, was it working fine before the tenant moved in?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 13th Jun 19, 9:08 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Your doors need planing on a 3-year-old house?

You’ve definitely been missold. Goods not fit for purpose. You should approach the developer and ask for compensation. I think you’ve got a really good case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,386Users online

Martin's Twitter