Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Andula
    • By Andula 13th Jun 19, 2:20 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Andula
    Letting agent dispute - overcharging for minor work or is this reasonable?
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:20 PM
    Letting agent dispute - overcharging for minor work or is this reasonable? 13th Jun 19 at 2:20 PM
    I'm having to rent out my family home having moved to a new town but can't buy a place right now. We have had an increasingly bad relationship with our letting agent but we're stuck with them now for 12 months. New tenant has moved in and complained about doors not shutting properly and lock on shed not operational. I think the agents may have inflated the quote out of spite but I'm not sure what is reasonable.

What do you think is a reasonable quote for planing 2 internal doors and replacing their latches and supply and fit a latch housing on a garden shed. It's a 3 year old house so the doors are very easy to remove, we're not talking 70 year old painted over threadless screws. The company in question is a non-VAT registered (if that's relevant) local property maintenance/handyman.
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 13th Jun 19, 2:33 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:33 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:33 PM
    So how much was the bill...

Without knowing much detail its probably 1/2 days work plus materials..but it could easily start at 150 simply because the tradesperson will not be able to combine it with another job that day so youre charged a day rate
    in S 46 T 16 F 42
    out S 39 T 14 F 58
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • SmashedAvacado
    • By SmashedAvacado 13th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    SmashedAvacado
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    If its less than 200 plus VAT, then you are unlikely to find someone else to do it / let them in / be insured to do it / have recourse.

It would of course cost you a lot less, but you are in another country - so its one of those things....!
    • Andula
    • By Andula 13th Jun 19, 2:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andula
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:49 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:49 PM
    half a day, really? the quote included 25 just for the shed latch housing, that's taking the P surely?
    The quote is 135
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 13th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    half a day, really? the quote included 25 just for the shed latch housing, that's taking the P surely?
    The quote is 135
    Originally posted by Andula
    That's not unreasonable.

I agree you could do it for less but you've taken the route of a managed service with the agent.

You do always have the final say on the work being done and can easily say "that's OK I'll go and sort it out".

Otherwise you have to pay for the time of someone else to do it

How much do you estimate the work should cost?...and why do you think its an unreasonable bill?
    Last edited by need an answer; 13-06-2019 at 3:21 PM.
    in S 46 T 16 F 42
    out S 39 T 14 F 58
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    • 9,904 Posts
    • 11,887 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    The quote is 135

Sounds cheap. I had 250 in my head from reading your initial post
    • danlewi2
    • By danlewi2 13th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    danlewi2
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:06 PM
    Remember you have to factor in more than just turning up and doing the job, what materials has he got to resource, this could be an hour in itself, then factor in doing the job. i know trades mans who works in London they have to factor in the hourly rate in parking on London street half a day that can easily be 50-100 and they havent even got out the van.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 13th Jun 19, 3:13 PM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:13 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:13 PM
    The quote is 135
    I think that’s REALLY cheap.

Some people seem to want tradesmen to survive on gruel.

I’m honestly astounded that anyone could think 135 is an inflated quote for this.
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 13th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Astar1809
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    You could look at supplying the materials as a tradesman will apply a small mark up and include a fee for the time it takes to got obtain the item.

taking off a door, planing it down, rehanging, cleaning up any mess made seems like the best part of two hours to me. so four hours for 2 doors.

The fitting of the lock on the shed maybe 30 mins and driving to and from the job all in its going to be about 4-5 hours work in total. Most tradesmen will charge a slight premium if the work means they unlikely to be able to fill the rest of the day with another smaller job to make up the day.

All in I feel the quote of 135 is not excessive, especially if that quote included VAT.
    • muhandis
    • By muhandis 13th Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 729 Thanks
    muhandis
    I think it's a fair quote, especially considering it's come through the managing agent.

If you really really want another rough quote, you could put up the job on Mybuilder.co.uk asking for a ballpark quote for comparison.
    • Bacon Sandwich
    • By Bacon Sandwich 13th Jun 19, 3:40 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Bacon Sandwich
    Jesus christ....
    • Skiddaw1
    • By Skiddaw1 13th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Skiddaw1
    Sounds like a perfectly reasonable quote to me. Like Comms69 I was expecting it to be 200+.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 13th Jun 19, 3:55 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    ProDave
    You could have checked all the doors operated properly before you let the property and avoided this.

As others say, 135 is a very reasonable charge for the job. That is a good tradesman who is not ripping you off, don't make enemies. Plenty will charge a lot more.
    • Section106
    • By Section106 13th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Section106
    Jesus christ....
    Originally posted by Bacon Sandwich
    Good point. His dad was a carpenter so he's bound to be able to plane a bit off a couple of doors and fit some new latches.

Whether he'd do it for less than 135....
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 13th Jun 19, 4:35 PM
    • 1,966 Posts
    • 3,282 Thanks
    Slithery
    That's a perfectly reasonable quote, like others I was expecting much more from your tone.

Slithery (used to be self-employed doing trades for lettings agencies).
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jun 19, 5:04 PM
    • 49,560 Posts
    • 61,516 Thanks
    G_M
    Seems fair/cheap to me.
    Have you approached any other local handymen yourself?

What is the contractual arrangement with the agent regarding repairs? They arrange them all? Have to get your approval for everything? Need you approval over, say, 100 but can spend up to that without?

I can't see your contract!

Have you read:

* Letting agents: how should a landlord select or sack?

Last edited by G_M; 13-06-2019 at 5:24 PM.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Jun 19, 5:42 PM
    • 7,230 Posts
    • 23,267 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Again you don't say where it is.
    It's in the "Cheap in one place, perhaps not so cheap in another" zone IMHO.
    I thought "about 120" where I live when I saw the question originally.
    London's going to be a lot more.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 13th Jun 19, 5:55 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 1,620 Thanks
    diggingdude
    I would say that price is reasonable no matter where you are
    House owner as of 27.3.2019
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Jun 19, 6:48 PM
    • 8,814 Posts
    • 7,704 Thanks
    bris
    I'm not a joiner but do all my own repairs etc and it will take me a maximum 1 hour to plane a door and fit a new 3 latch. A joiner could do it a lot quicker than me.

But that's not the issue, a joiner isn't going to waste his time for less than 135 so the price is right. You're not going to get someone out to do this pretty straight forward quick job for just an hourly rate.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 13th Jun 19, 6:56 PM
    • 19,514 Posts
    • 11,086 Thanks
    ACG
    I had 150 in my head.
    The agent will not be getting the cheapest nor will they be doing it out of the goodness of their heart. There will be a kick back to them but they will also be getting a professional who is good, reliable and insured.

You could probably have got someone to do it for maybe 100 or less, but you would have had to arrange it and they may not have been good or reliable or insured against further damage.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,951Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter