Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 13th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 75Thanks
    MrBrindle
    Gearbox or clutch issue
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:05 PM
    Gearbox or clutch issue 13th Jun 19 at 2:05 PM
    Hi all, I've tried to search for this answer but can't find anything similar.

Our car is grinding going into reverse and is extremely resistant going into 1st and 2nd gears at times. Sometimes is takes 3/4 go's to put in reverse. However when the engine is off, all gears work fine!

The clutch is biting around an inch from the floor, which I'd imagine is quite low?

I'm waiting from our mechanic for a date to take it in, but just wondered if anyone had an idea what we're in for? I'm dreading a gearbox issue as that'll be extremely costly, and clutch clearly not cheap either.

I'm just confused as to why the gears work fine when engine is off, but not when the car is running. Is that sort of good news in terms of the gearbox?
Page 1
    • alan_d
    • By alan_d 13th Jun 19, 2:52 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    alan_d
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:52 PM
    Sounds like the clutch not fully disengaging, causing the issue.
    If you're lucky there may be some adjustment, otherwise you're looking at a replacement clutch. Usually worth doing the DMF and release cylinder while it's apart (assuming hydraulic clutch).
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 13th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 5,128 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:53 PM
    What car is it?

Hard to say, either clutch or sycro's are gone.
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 13th Jun 19, 3:03 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:03 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:03 PM
    Thanks both, it's a Hyundai ix35, which I've read can be a bit notorious for clutch issues.

Online search and found this on honest john, which is exactly the same issue: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/121898/hyundai-ix35-2-0
    Last edited by MrBrindle; 13-06-2019 at 3:06 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jun 19, 3:10 PM
    • 19,401 Posts
    • 12,073 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:10 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:10 PM
    Slipping is usually clutch plate issues. Not going in to gears is usually pressure plate.

Either way I'd say it needs a clutch kit.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jun 19, 3:11 PM
    • 19,401 Posts
    • 12,073 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:11 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:11 PM
    What car is it?

Hard to say, either clutch or sycro's are gone.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    I'd be extremely surprised if all syncros went at once.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jun 19, 3:12 PM
    • 19,401 Posts
    • 12,073 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:12 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:12 PM
    Thanks both, it's a Hyundai ix35, which I've read can be a bit notorious for clutch issues.

Online search and found this on honest john, which is exactly the same issue: https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/121898/hyundai-ix35-2-0
    Originally posted by MrBrindle
    If it's no engaging to close to the floor like that one then it's almost certainly pressure plate.

• MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 13th Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    If it's no engaging to close to the floor like that one then it's almost certainly pressure plate.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Yeah it's biting like an inch, maybe less, from the floor. I'm not sure when it went like that as it's my partner who drives it around. I don't think it's always been like that.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jun 19, 7:58 PM
    • 19,401 Posts
    • 12,073 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:58 PM
    Yeah it's biting like an inch, maybe less, from the floor. I'm not sure when it went like that as it's my partner who drives it around. I don't think it's always been like that.
    Almost certainly pressure plate then. Worn syncro wont happen to every gear at once and wont impact the positioning of the clutch pedal.

Clutch kit isnt too expensive. Expect to pay 200-250 for a LUK kit.

Clutch kit + flywheel though =

(According to a cursory search on ebay anyway)
    Last edited by motorguy; 14-06-2019 at 7:13 AM.

• rob7475
    • By rob7475 14th Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    rob7475
    What age and mileage is your IX35? I had the same issue on mine at 2.5 year old with 54k miles. Ended up needing new synchro rings for a couple of gears and clutch replacing. After much arguing, Hyundai covered under warrangy.

Now the car is 5 years old and just over 100k and guess what - the same issues are starting again!
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 14th Jun 19, 11:48 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    What age and mileage is your IX35? I had the same issue on mine at 2.5 year old with 54k miles. Ended up needing new synchro rings for a couple of gears and clutch replacing. After much arguing, Hyundai covered under warrangy.

Now the car is 5 years old and just over 100k and guess what - the same issues are starting again!
    Originally posted by rob7475
    Oh bloody hell, that is worrying!

It's 7 years old now and done 80k, so well outside the warranty unfortunately. No history in the booklet of gearbox / clutch work.

I have searched a bit in the hope there's a recall because it looks like a very common issue.

How much did all that cost?? We were toying with the idea of replacing it, but we only bought it 2 and a half years ago, and it's the first car I've ever owned that needed a clutch replacing. The issue is so obvious now we'd get hammered if we part exed it in. On the other hand what's the point keeping it if this problem keeps cropping up.

We've also had to replace the fuel filter because the car was losing power when accelerating over 3000k revs.

I noticed last month the boot is also leaking and the latch is all rusted.

I don't think I've had a car with so many issues.
    Last edited by MrBrindle; 14-06-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 14th Jun 19, 12:44 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    rob7475
    I've had many of the same problems as you unfortunately.

Boot leaked, Fuel filter was causing car to go into limp mode randomly, etc etc.

Luckily, most of my issues came during the first 5 years so were fixed under warranty. Now it's out of warranty, I think I'll be moving it on soon.

The first time the synchro rings went, the dealer tried telling me it was wear and tear on the clutch and I was liable for the cost of repair - I think they quoted around 1500 for the clutch. After kicking off with Hyundai UK, the dealer investigated further and found that the synchro rings were at fault so covered under warranty. I dread to think what they'd have ended up charging if it wasn't covered by warranty.

I'm sure a local garage will be much cheaper than the main dealers though. The problem is, they have to strip the gearbox down to fully investigate so once they start the work, they've got you over a barrel
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 14th Jun 19, 1:56 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    I've had many of the same problems as you unfortunately.

Boot leaked, Fuel filter was causing car to go into limp mode randomly, etc etc.

Luckily, most of my issues came during the first 5 years so were fixed under warranty. Now it's out of warranty, I think I'll be moving it on soon.

The first time the synchro rings went, the dealer tried telling me it was wear and tear on the clutch and I was liable for the cost of repair - I think they quoted around 1500 for the clutch. After kicking off with Hyundai UK, the dealer investigated further and found that the synchro rings were at fault so covered under warranty. I dread to think what they'd have ended up charging if it wasn't covered by warranty.

I'm sure a local garage will be much cheaper than the main dealers though. The problem is, they have to strip the gearbox down to fully investigate so once they start the work, they've got you over a barrel
    Sorry, oversaw the fact you had it done under warranty.

I'm getting a local mechanic to do it, who is very good. I know it won't be cheap, but dreading the cost. I might ask for a ball park figure before hand though as we may consider part ex-ing it anyway if it is 1000+. The car is only worth around 5000 now so what's the point spending that sort of money on it?
    • alan_d
    • By alan_d 14th Jun 19, 2:08 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    alan_d
    Sounds like the gearboxes in these are made of cheese.
    Clutch failure isn't particularly rare in any car depending on the mileage and how it's been driven. The clutch is a part that wears as it's used...
    Fuel filter is usually replaced in each major service - maybe Hyundai don't specify this, and eventually it gets clogged.

. I might ask for a ball park figure before hand though as we may consider part ex-ing it anyway if it is 1000+. The car is only worth around 5000 now so what's the point spending that sort of money on it?
    Once this work is done, you can be pretty confident that you won't see any further clutch issues.
    I've recently spent more on a car that's worth less than yours, overhauling the clutch/gearbox/suspension/engine mounts etc - because it does exactly what I need it to, and I plan on keeping it for years. I'd rather put the money into this than buy another with unknown issues.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 14th Jun 19, 2:30 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    rob7475
    Clutch failure isn't particularly rare in any car depending on the mileage and how it's been driven. The clutch is a part that wears as it's used...
    Fuel filter is usually replaced in each major service - maybe Hyundai don't specify this, and eventually it gets clogged.

Once this work is done, you can be pretty confident that you won't see any further clutch issues.
    I've recently spent more on a car that's worth less than yours, overhauling the clutch/gearbox/suspension/engine mounts etc - because it does exactly what I need it to, and I plan on keeping it for years. I'd rather put the money into this than buy another with unknown issues.
    Originally posted by alan_d
    I'd usually agree with you about spending the money. However, my clutch and synchro rings were replaced 2 years ago and are now about to go again after only 50k. From reading the forums, it seems Hyundai are notorious for weak clutches / gearboxes.

As for the fuel filter. It's on the schedule to be replaced at every service. Mine started playing a few weeks after a service so doubt it was clogged.
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 14th Jun 19, 2:35 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle

Originally posted by alan_d
    Hi Alan, thanks for the advice. This is my other train of thought as well. We have only owned the car for two years and it has already halved in value with mileage. Frustrating because I have owned two 207's, and done over 100k in both (current one on 130k) and neither have had issues with clutches or anything serious.

The main issue for changing it, is that it's using a lot of fuel. Heavy diesel car doing short runs every day isn't very efficient. The computer says it's avg 45mpg but I don't think it's accurate.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 14th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    rob7475
    Is it the 1.7 diesel? If so, I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting 5k trade in for it? Mine is 2 years newer, facelifted premium model and I'm struggling to get 5k part ex.

At that age and mileage, most main dealers will send it straight to auction so there's very little value in it for them
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 14th Jun 19, 2:40 PM
    • 8,711 Posts
    • 7,578 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    If its a hydraulic clutch try pumping the pedal a few times before select a gear, does this make a difference? The master or slave cylinder may be leaking internally.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 14th Jun 19, 2:50 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    Is it the 1.7 diesel? If so, I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting 5k trade in for it? Mine is 2 years newer, facelifted premium model and I'm struggling to get 5k part ex.

At that age and mileage, most main dealers will send it straight to auction so there's very little value in it for them
    Hi Rob, yes that very model. We were offered 5k for it by a Toyota dealership (mrs fancies the hybrids there), but that was back in December, and before their mechanics checked it out etc. I'm sure they'd have knocked us down a bit more again though.
    • MrBrindle
    • By MrBrindle 14th Jun 19, 2:54 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    MrBrindle
    If its a hydraulic clutch try pumping the pedal a few times before select a gear, does this make a difference? The master or slave cylinder may be leaking internally.
    Originally posted by Norman Castle
    We were told this by a friend, I do it to see sometimes, I think it may help, but haven't noticed a drastic change in performance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter