Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • dranzer01
    • By dranzer01 13th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    • 220Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Bringing a product to market
    • #1
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:57 PM
    Bringing a product to market 13th Jun 19 at 12:57 PM
    I am looking to bring a product to market, however it has recently occured to me that there may be some regulations which I would need to abide by.

    Not so much the product itself, but the packaging.... For example, on certain packages, I have seen the letter/s 'C' / 'CE' / I've seen the recycling logo / 'E'...

    I would like to know who I speak to/get in contact with, to find out exactly what acronyms or logos I would require on my packaging as I am finding it slightly difficult figuring out what they would be called/under.

    Last edited by dranzer01; 13-06-2019 at 1:01 PM.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    • 8,622 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    you are asking about: regulations for product labels uk

    the clue is in the words... why are you unable to use google?
    • Snow Dog
    • By Snow Dog 30th Jun 19, 10:18 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    Snow Dog
    • #3
    • 30th Jun 19, 10:18 PM
    • #3
    • 30th Jun 19, 10:18 PM
    It depends on your product that you want to bring to market.

    CE marking, for example on the back of your television. In laymans terms the TV would have gone through a series of tests along the lines of:-

    Is the product safe, ie does it have big air vents that someone can stick a finger in and electrocute themselves, if you pull the plug out the back is there voltage remaining on the appliance pins. Other tests will be whether the TV affects the operation of other equipment nearby, so does one of its internal circuits play havoc with the neighbours radio. (And the other way round, does other equipment affect the TV).

    A completely different field would be childs toys - again, strict tests to make sure no small bits fall off and cause a choking hazard.

    As you havent specified what the product is, nobody can guess what standards apply so best bet is to google "what standards apply to XXX" or something along those lines. Some things you can self certify, but you should document everything. Some things you need to get an external test house to do.

    And in case anyone starts on that CE marking wont be needed after october (Certificate European) then I suspect that close to 100% of the standards will still continue to be applicable but I thing they will be called something like UKxx, as far as im aware many of the CE standards originate from the old BS (British standards) anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter