Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savingmoneyisfun
    • By savingmoneyisfun 13th Jun 19, 12:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    savingmoneyisfun
    port of wells - civil enforcement ltd
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:27 PM
    port of wells - civil enforcement ltd 13th Jun 19 at 12:27 PM
    Hi All, hope you lovely people can help or advise.

I arrived at the port of wells car park on 24/02/19 at 13.40 and found it very busy and full but I decided to wait in the car park for a space to become available, after around 8-10 minutes a space became available, I parked in the space correctly and proceeded to get our ticket but I didn't have enough change. I went to the local arcade opposite and got change. When I returned to pay for ticket I realised the arcade had given me an old pound coin(which wouldn't work) so I quickly went back got it changed and bought our parking ticket at 13.55 (£4.50 for all day up until midnight). This would all be seen on the cctv of me going to arcade and back for change. Considering we waited in the car park for a space before we were parked. I paid within 5 minutes of parking and still have the ticket clearly showing our registration number. We honestly never saw or noticed a sign saying we only have 10mins to park and pay. We only parked for just over an hour.

I've appealed via popla and they have stated that civil enforcement have issued a ticket correctly

POPLA CONCLUSION
    “Signs in the above car park clearly advise payment for parking must be made within 10 minutes of arrival and on this occasion you failed to do so”. It is the duty of the appellant to ensure that when they have entered a car park that they have understood the terms and conditions before deciding to park. On this occasion by remaining parked at the site the appellant accepted the terms and conditions. As they did not pay within 10 minutes of arrival, they did not adhere to the terms and conditions. As such, I conclude that the operator issued the PCN correctly.

Called citizens advice and not very helpful at all.
    I really don't want to pay it, please advise what I could do
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 12:36 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,534 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:36 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:36 PM
    Everyone is asked to read up on this in the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to get an understanding of the game you are now caught up in

#4 explains what happens after popla fails
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 13th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    • 40,678 Posts
    • 90,304 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    You should edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people. Parking scammers read these fora.
    Do this before you do anything else.

Do a search for other threads concerning this place as it crops up regularly. Set the search function to "show threads" when you do.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 13-06-2019 at 2:12 PM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 13th Jun 19, 2:09 PM
    • 15,307 Posts
    • 15,961 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:09 PM
    There are at least four recent threads about this car park on here.

AFAIAA, it is covered by bye laws, and keeper liability under POFA does not apply.

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Jun 19, 4:00 PM
    • 25,200 Posts
    • 40,680 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 4:00 PM
    I really don't want to pay it, please advise what I could do
    It's highly likely you will need to deal with the issue of a court claim, and should it get to a hearing (quite often with CEL they don't if you've got all your ducks lined up correctly) you'll need to persuade a Judge of your case.

You need to read all recent Port of Wells CEL (keywords for forum search) cases and get to understand the issues that might give you the advantage.

If you've admitted to being the driver in any of your appeals 'I parked' is classically sufficient of an admission, then the Byelaws are somewhat irrelevant.

HOW TO USE THE FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION:

Hit your 'Back' button to get back to the forum thread list. On the bar just above the threads you'll see the 'Search' function. Click on the 'Advanced Search' button and on the following page place your keyword(s) in the 'Search By Keyword(s)' and make sure the 'Show Results As' button (at the foot of the window) is changed from 'Threads' to 'Posts'.
    Last edited by Umkomaas; 13-06-2019 at 4:06 PM.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case papers, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th Jun 19, 2:01 AM
    • 76,841 Posts
    • 90,198 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:01 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 2:01 AM
    This would all be seen on the cctv of me going to arcade and back for change.
    There's no CCTV. ANPR is not CCTV.

Do read the NEWBIES thread about court claims (post #2 of that sticky thread).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • busylizzy222
    • By busylizzy222 14th Jun 19, 11:43 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    busylizzy222
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:43 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 11:43 PM
    The signage here is not adequate/fit for purpose imo, its an extremely small and busy parking area and the signs are small and virtually the same as the ones they had before Civil Enforcement took over the parking last year. It feels like a trap!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

2,512Users online

Martin's Twitter