Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michaeln2
    • By michaeln2 13th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    • 74Posts
    • 23Thanks
    michaeln2
    Royal London nomination of beneficiary
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:23 AM
    Royal London nomination of beneficiary 13th Jun 19 at 10:23 AM
    I have a pension with Royal London that i could have taken on my birthday (May this year), but decided to wait until January 2020 when i claim my state pension.

I was unsure what the situation would be if i died before i took my private pension. Would i lose it or would it pass onto my wife.

They sent me a "Payment of benefits on death"form to fill in. The nomination of beneficiary section has 2 options.

"Option 1 – At our discretion (as the scheme administrator)
    If you choose this option, you’ll need to tell us who you want us to consider paying the benefits to. In most
    circumstances we’ll follow your wishes. However it’s important to understand that under this option we are not
    bound to follow your wishes. We may decide to pay your benefits to a different person or persons if your personal
    circumstances at the time of your death make this an appropriate course of action. If you choose this option, any
    benefits we pay will not be subject to any inheritance tax.
    If you choose this option, you can change who you have nominated at any time by writing to us, however, you can’t
    choose Option 2 below at a later date". If you have previously chosen this option and told us who you want to
    nominate, you’ll only be able to use this form to change who you’ve nominated under Option 1.

"Option 2 – At my direction
    If you choose this option, we’re legally obliged to carry out your wishes and pay your benefits to whoever you have directed us
    to pay these to. If you choose this option, any benefits we pay may be subject to inheritance tax so you may wish to discuss this
    with a financial adviser first.
    If you choose this option, you can change who you have directed us to pay the benefits to at any time by writing to us. You can
    also change your mind and choose Option 1 at a later date.
    Paying benefits on death
    When we’re notified of your death, we’ll explain to your beneficiaries the different ways in which the benefits can be paid to them.
    If you have a Pension Portfolio plan, including an Income Release or Self Investment pension plan, or a Retirement Solutions
    Group Personal Pension or Group Stakeholder Pension plan with Royal London, and you want us to consider giving one or more
    of your nominated beneficiaries the option of using the amount available for beneficiary flexi-access drawdown, it’s important
    that you tell us this when completing the table below. You should speak to your financial adviser to find out more information
    about why you may want to consider this option.
    Remember that when you’re choosing your nominations, you can only choose who you want your benefits to be paid to on your
    death – you can’t choose who any remaining benefits may be paid to when those beneficiaries subsequently die. "

There is a list of blank fields to enter the names of chosen beneficiaries. Could anyone advise me of which option i should take?
    Thank you.

Total debt 27-11-10 £0! No credit cards & no loans.

Mortgage paid in full
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,050 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    Could anyone advise me of which option i should take?
    No. However, they can offer opinion or discussion points. But nothing you read here is advice when it comes to regulated areas.

Most people would fit option 1 but some would have situations where option 2 would be better.
    Last edited by dunstonh; 13-06-2019 at 1:28 PM. Reason: typo
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • greatkingrat
    • By greatkingrat 13th Jun 19, 10:59 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    greatkingrat
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:59 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:59 AM
    In practice, if you are married it doesn't really make much difference which option you pick, the money would end up with your wife either way.

The difference would be that if hypothetically you split up in the future, under option 1 the pension company would have the discretion to decide it was no longer appropriate to pay to your (ex) wife, while under option 2 they would have to follow the form regardless.
    • michaeln2
    • By michaeln2 13th Jun 19, 11:02 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    michaeln2
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:02 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:02 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I realise i worded it wrong in asking for advice....opinions would be welcomed, however.
    A little confused about option 1 "at the discretion of the scheme administrator" where it states "Under this option we are not bound to follow your wishes. We may decide to pay your benefits to a different person or persons if your personal circumstances at the time of your death make this an appropriate course of action"

Mortgage paid in full
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Jun 19, 11:03 AM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 10,932 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:03 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:03 AM
    Most people would choose option 1.

The fact that the nomination is not binding is very rarely of any importance. The pension trustees would normally follow your expression of wish unless there was a very obvious reason not to, e.g. you and the person you nominated divorced after making the nomination.

In very few cases would it make sense to subject the benefits to Inheritance Tax. A lot of pension providers don't even offer option 2 (at least not via the standard form) but for whatever reason Royal London think you should have the option of forfeiting the IHT benefits.

I was unsure what the situation would be if i died before i took my private pension. Would i lose it or would it pass onto my wife.
    Well technically you (first-person singular) would lose it because you'll be dead. However the pension wouldn't disappear or be snaffled by Royal London. It would generally be inherited by your nominated beneficiary or whoever the trustees pay it to. If you nominate your wife and are still married on your death it is a virtual certainty she will inherit the pension fund in whatever form she prefers.
    Last edited by Malthusian; 13-06-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    • squirrelpie
    • By squirrelpie 13th Jun 19, 11:15 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    squirrelpie
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:15 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:15 AM
    Most people would fit option 2 but some would have situations where option 1 would be better.
    I don't understand this.

Surely it is better to have the money outside the estate for inheritance tax (i.e. option 1) in most cases. There would need to be a special reason to choose to pay tax on it (i.e. option 2). What am I misunderstanding?
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 13th Jun 19, 11:19 AM
    • 6,735 Posts
    • 10,932 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:19 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:19 AM
    I am fairly certain dunstonh got 1 and 2 the wrong way round.

I had to check which he said because option 1 is so clearly the best option. Except possibly in exam question scenarios that I can't even think of.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 4,653 Posts
    • 7,394 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    [QUOTE]
    Thank you for the reply. I realise i worded it wrong in asking for advice....opinions would be welcomed, however.
    A little confused about option 1 "at the discretion of the scheme administrator" where it states "Under this option we are not bound to follow your wishes. We may decide to pay your benefits to a different person or persons if your personal circumstances at the time of your death make this an appropriate course of action"
    Originally posted by michaeln2
    This is pretty standard. The primary reason for this, as has already been said, is that 'payment at the trustees discretion' means that it is excluded for IHT purposes.

Also, not everyone ties up their paperwork with a nice tidy bow before they die. There have been some really 'interesting' claims for LGPS death benefits which called for the trustees to make a decision, even some with a completed nomination form on record. Like the chap who nominated his girlfriend when he first joined the LGPS..... Twenty odd years later, married (not the named ex girlfriend) with children, he died in service. In this case, the trustees overruled the (technically valid) nomination form and awarded the lump sum to the widow.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 13-06-2019 at 11:58 AM.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,050 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:29 PM
    I am fairly certain dunstonh got 1 and 2 the wrong way round.
    i did. In most cases, you should leave it to the discretion of the scheme trustees and just give your nomination/express of wish. The other method is niche.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • michaeln2
    • By michaeln2 13th Jun 19, 1:56 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    michaeln2
    Thank you all. Much appreciated.

Mortgage paid in full
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 14th Jun 19, 8:46 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Marcon
    i did. In most cases, you should leave it to the discretion of the scheme trustees and just give your nomination/express of wish. The other method is niche.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    The 'other method' is the only one in respect of NEST benefits. No discretions there about what happens to the fund if you die before 'decumulation' as they so charmingly describe it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,152Posts Today

7,565Users online

Martin's Twitter