Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PeggyMay
    • By PeggyMay 13th Jun 19, 9:44 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 8Thanks
    PeggyMay
    Unacceptable delays from employer regarding my request
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:44 AM
    Unacceptable delays from employer regarding my request 13th Jun 19 at 9:44 AM
    I asked my employer in September last year if they would consider putting my hours up a bit, as I am only working 18 hours a week and struggling to afford my bills. I have explained to them that I can work up to 25 hours a week but that 21 would suffice, and have put together what I think is a really solid business case for them giving me more hours.

More than 8 months later, they STILL haven't got back to me about this, despite me chasing every month since then. Their excuse is that they still 'haven't found the capacity to undertake a review '.

I wrote to the CEO last week pointing out how long I've had to wait, making it clear that I need an answer asap. She has arranged to meet with me at the end of this month to discuss. I had assumed a decision would be made at this meeting, but now I'm told it's just to 'talk me through the process I can expect'.

Is it actually legal that they have been keeping me waiting so long, and continue to make me wait for a decision? If they do increase my hours, am I entitled to any back pay for what in effect amounts to loss of income as a result of them making me wait so long for an answer? (Since I originally made my request, I've had to make up the shortfall in my salary from my house savings.)

Thank you.
Page 2
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Jun 19, 5:36 PM
    • 37,376 Posts
    • 23,062 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Hi steampower, I am very much still hoping they will increase my hours... in the last few weeks I have brought in business opportunities that will help them achieve their organisational aim. There is a very strong and clear business case for them giving me the capacity needed to follow these up. I don't see why they would want to meet with me to 'discuss the process I can expect' if they weren't at least considering it... It just doesn't make sense for them to forego these opportunities which, if followed up, will be incredible for their business.

Furthermore, I have explained that the job is unsustainable for me in the long-term on these hours. And although I haven't mentioned it, they must be aware that it will cost them much more to recruit someone new than to give me the small increase in hours needed to retain me. So there is no good business case to NOT increase my hours, so far as I can see.

It's almost as though they want me to resign. But I can see no good reason for this, I'm a very productive and high-achieving employee.
    Originally posted by PeggyMay

The problem you are creating is they can just keep you cheap you are desperate.

If you are bringing in business opportunities you need to be selling yourself as the right person to achieve these goals with not just more hours but more pay.

You need to be driving the process.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 13-06-2019 at 5:39 PM.
    • PeggyMay
    • By PeggyMay 13th Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PeggyMay
    Tellit01, Doing three or so more hours a week in my current job won’t be detrimental.

If anything, it will be beneficial to my health as I won’t be stressing so much about money or about trying to juggle two jobs.

Having to get a second job however would undoubtedly be detrimental! It takes a lot of energy to juggle two lots of responsibility, and as I said, I tried this before and it didn’t go well. It would actually be worse for my current employer if I have to take a second job, as it will mean I have less energy for the first job and won’t be as productive. It probably won’t do me any favours if I point that out to them, from the sounds of what’s been said here...

I guess my hands are tied for now. I’ll keep looking for other jobs but really hope it won’t come to that.

Thanks for the advice.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 13th Jun 19, 5:49 PM
    • 8,618 Posts
    • 7,807 Thanks
    phill99
    I now know not to listen to my friend. He told me it was illegal for them to not get back to me and that it would be reasonable to ask for backpay.

He's not your friend
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 14th Jun 19, 6:26 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Marcon
    I didn't think it was illegal actually, or that I'd be entitled to back pay, but it was strongly suggested to me by someone who seemed to be very experienced in these matters, so I thought I should check to see if they were correct.
    'Seemed to be very experienced' isn't, as you have found out, the same thing as having solid working knowledge.

Perhaps next time try ACAS's free helpline: 0300 123 1150

Hope things work out for you.
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 14th Jun 19, 6:34 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 5,223 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    Have you looked to see if you may be entitled to PIP? Its paid to people in work and is not means tested.

https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 14th Jun 19, 6:40 PM
    • 3,946 Posts
    • 7,951 Thanks
    JCS1
    Comms69, Iím not claiming benefits. Itís not a road I would particularly want to go down, and I donít think Iím entitled to any benefits anyway, as Iím capable of working up to five hours a day, five days a week, and already work more than the 16-or-less hours needed to claim.
    PIP isn't means tested, you can claim it and still work. Worth a try to see if you are eligible.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 14th Jun 19, 6:42 PM
    • 3,946 Posts
    • 7,951 Thanks
    JCS1
    Have you looked to see if you may be entitled to PIP? Its paid to people in work and is not means tested.

https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility
    Originally posted by sammyjammy
    Snap - I posted before reading the rest of the thread
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 16th Jun 19, 10:12 AM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    steampowered
    Hi steampower, I am very much still hoping they will increase my hours... in the last few weeks I have brought in business opportunities that will help them achieve their organisational aim. There is a very strong and clear business case for them giving me the capacity needed to follow these up.
    This is good to hear. It sounds like a meeting is a good idea to tell the right person "I really enjoy working here, and I am really valuable to the business, but the current arrangement is not sustainable - please increase my hours or I will have to resign".

I would suggest a "dual-track" process.

Keep asking (politely but firmly) for more hours. At the same time, search for other jobs that might be suitable. You can go with whichever plan bears fruit.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 16th Jun 19, 2:24 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 8,302 Thanks
    Smodlet
    ... And the prize for the most entitled goes to...

My jaw is on the floor. How on earth did your employer manage to sustain or even to start a business before you came on board, OP? What can they be thinking? Surely you should be the CEO (at least) by now, no?

I don't hold out much hope for their future if they don't wake up and smell the coffee very soon and as for keeping you waiting, well! They are clearly in dire need of your professional help. How lucky for them that you are there and willing to work even more hours.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • amazonian17
    • By amazonian17 16th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    amazonian17
    ... And the prize for the most entitled goes to...

My jaw is on the floor. How on earth did your employer manage to sustain or even to start a business before you came on board, OP? What can they be thinking? Surely you should be the CEO (at least) by now, no?

I don't hold out much hope for their future if they don't wake up and smell the coffee very soon and as for keeping you waiting, well! They are clearly in dire need of your professional help. How lucky for them that you are there and willing to work even more hours.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Unnecessarily rude and unhelpful.
    • MacMickster
    • By MacMickster 16th Jun 19, 7:39 PM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 10,558 Thanks
    MacMickster
    Hi steampower, I am very much still hoping they will increase my hours... in the last few weeks I have brought in business opportunities that will help them achieve their organisational aim. ... It just doesn't make sense for them to forego these opportunities which, if followed up, will be incredible for their business.
    So you are a wonderful employee bringing in new business which will make a load of money for your employer. Why the fixation on 3 extra hours per week?

In your shoes I would simply be arguing the case for a large pay increase due to my fantastic performance.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 18th Jun 19, 3:20 PM
    • 6,553 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    I have a very specific skillset
    Must... refrain... from making... Taken... reference............
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 18th Jun 19, 6:41 PM
    • 7,057 Posts
    • 7,662 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Many people believe they are indispensible, or have an inflated sense of their value to the employer. In the sales department at one company I worked for was a poster on the wall which read :-

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
    Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
    Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,
    Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.
    You can splash all you wish when you enter,
    You may stir up the water galore,
    But stop, and you'll find that in no time,
    It looks quite the same as before.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 18th Jun 19, 6:51 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 8,302 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Many people believe they are indispensible, or have an inflated sense of their value to the employer. In the sales department at one company I worked for was a poster on the wall which read :-

Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Aaaaaaaaaahhhh. That is classic but, I strongly suspect, might as well be in Klingon for all the meaning it has for the entitled. Aaaaaahhh.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • amazonian17
    • By amazonian17 18th Jun 19, 8:39 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    amazonian17

Originally posted by TELLIT01
    That must have been great for morale.
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 18th Jun 19, 9:34 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 2,010 Thanks
    hyubh
    Aaaaaaaaaahhhh. That is classic but, I strongly suspect, might as well be in Klingon for all the meaning it has for the entitled. Aaaaaahhh.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    'In no time' any given person could be easily replaced... imagine actually living by this mantra. Employer: no point making an effort in staff engagement, reward structure, training. Employee: no point making an effort in the work done, beyond what to get what is known to be explicitly rewarded. Do a poor job, do a good job - a distinction without much of a difference really, outside the extremes. 'Meh' all round...
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 19, 11:31 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 8,302 Thanks
    Smodlet
    'In no time' any given person could be easily replaced... imagine actually living by this mantra. Employer: no point making an effort in staff engagement, reward structure, training. Employee: no point making an effort in the work done, beyond what to get what is known to be explicitly rewarded. Do a poor job, do a good job - a distinction without much of a difference really, outside the extremes. 'Meh' all round...
    Originally posted by hyubh
    Ever worked in a "sick system"? Hello... And you're correct, absolutely. They all suck. Cue sick leave caused by work-related stress. Any large organisation, totally including the civil service...
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 19th Jun 19, 12:36 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 5,396 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    I am not an expert in employment law, so please don't scoff just because you happen to know more about these things than someone else does.
    I'm not an expert in employment law but the idea you can demand back pay is hilarious and ridiculous in equal measure. Really, you should be a little embarrassed at having even asked the question.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 19th Jun 19, 1:18 PM
    • 10,112 Posts
    • 9,264 Thanks
    Andy L
    Must... refrain... from making... Taken... reference............
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Just as well, because he actually has a very particular set of skills
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 19, 1:22 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 8,302 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Just as well, because he actually has a very particular set of skills
    Originally posted by Andy L
    "PeggyMay"'s a dude? Why not, I guess?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,752Users online

Martin's Twitter