Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mjr84
    • By mjr84 13th Jun 19, 9:33 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mjr84
    tennancy fees
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:33 AM
    tennancy fees 13th Jun 19 at 9:33 AM
    Hi
    me and my Fiance have recently received a letter from our letting agent stating that our contract is coming up for renewal at the end of August and to renew we need to pay 75 admin costs.

this is up 25 from last year and was wondering if this is still valid as i know changes have been made from the 1st June for landlords and letting agents.

but is this just for new tennants or does this apply to people already in properties?
    seems a little unfair if this only applies to new tennants and letting agents can just put up prices to ofset lost costs.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Jun 19, 9:40 AM
    • 9,985 Posts
    • 12,003 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:40 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:40 AM
    The ban only applies for new tenancies until 2020.

But you can just ignore it and go to a periodic tenancy, for free.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 14th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    cashmonger
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    The ban only applies for new tenancies until 2020.

But you can just ignore it and go to a periodic tenancy, for free.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I was a bit confused about that. If the short hold tenancy agreement ends then does that mean you are not liable to charges or are if you are in the same place?

Because I thought it is a new agreement if you sign a new contract so wouldn't be liable for a charge?

Here it is from official gov document https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/791280/TFA_Guidance_for_Tenants.pdf (page 5):

If you entered into a tenancy before 1 June 2019, a landlord or agent will still be able to charge fees up until 31 May 2020, but only where these are required under an existing tenancy agreement.
    So it would only be if there were such clauses stipulated in the agreement from the previous contract wouldn't it? So if it wasn't already written in the old agreement then it would not apply?
    Last edited by cashmonger; 14-06-2019 at 6:00 PM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 19, 6:00 PM
    • 49,730 Posts
    • 61,766 Thanks
    G_M
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:00 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:00 PM
    No. Your tenancy is not ending (and you will not get your deposi returned) so the fee can be charged provided it was specified in your current agreement. But the increase can only be charged if that increase was specified.

As Comms says, you could also go periodic, for free. see

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 15th Jun 19, 9:05 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    cashmonger
    • 15th Jun 19, 9:05 AM
    • 15th Jun 19, 9:05 AM
    No. Your tenancy is not ending (and you will not get your deposi returned) so the fee can be charged provided it was specified in your current agreement. But the increase can only be charged if that increase was specified.

As Comms says, you could also go periodic, for free. see

* Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Wow that is all the more reason for me, and others in the same situ as OP seems to be, to stay on periodic then rather than sign this new contract they have been (and still are) beating my door down with!

I had been going on the assumption this whole time that we would be covered by the new rules.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,458Users online

Martin's Twitter