Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treguard
    • By Treguard 13th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Treguard
    Refusing home visit or adaptations?
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:15 AM
    Refusing home visit or adaptations? 13th Jun 19 at 8:15 AM
    My girlfriend is moving into my current property and is due to have an ESA assessment. Does anyone know if refusing permanent home alterations would affect an ESA assessment and entitlement? I.e. does having handrails for example actually affect your entitlement? I dont particularly want permanent fixtures in my home, but dont mind things like steps up to the bath or something to help her get out of bed. Thanks
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 6,043 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    My girlfriend is moving into my current property and is due to have an ESA assessment. Does anyone know if refusing permanent home alterations would affect an ESA assessment and entitlement? I.e. does having handrails for example actually affect your entitlement? I dont particularly want permanent fixtures in my home, but dont mind things like steps up to the bath or something to help her get out of bed. Thanks
    Originally posted by Treguard
    No, it won't make any difference. Surely if she needs them to help her, it really shouldn't make any difference what they "look like".
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 13th Jun 19, 8:31 AM
    • 423 Posts
    • 865 Thanks
    K80 Black
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:31 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:31 AM
    It shouldn't affect the assessment - they are based on what you need, not what you have. Of course, it's a lot harder to prove you need an adaption that you don't have and aren't going to get.

Also, if she does need adaptions and you're refusing to get them then I'd reconsider whether her moving in is in her best interests. It's your life and your relationship, of course.

Lastly, just checking you've done your research into how your income may affect her benefits. If you're working she may not be entitled to ESA at all.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 6,043 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    What would affect her ESA entitlement is your circumstances. Moving in together means you'll be a couple and if she's claiming Income Related ESA, you working will affect it.
    • ev8
    • By ev8 13th Jun 19, 9:29 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    ev8
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:29 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:29 AM
    No, I can't see why it would, you wouldn't need to tell them that you don't want them as you don't like the look of them.

The real thing to consider is have you really thought what it means to live with a disabled person? If she really needs them and eventually cannot get around without them, it shouldn't matter what it looks like.
    • Treguard
    • By Treguard 13th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Treguard
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:59 AM
    No of course if she needed permanent adaptations then that would be fine. Its just if she gets an over zealous assessor again who wants things putting in when she really doesn't need them.
    Thankfully she receives pip as well, so we're looking at working tax credits.
    It's silly how the system is set up in such a way as to disadvantage couples and make them poorer. We couldn't hope to survive on my salary alone
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 13th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 12,427 Posts
    • 14,213 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:15 AM
    No of course if she needed permanent adaptations then that would be fine. Its just if she gets an over zealous assessor again who wants things putting in when she really doesn't need them.
    It's silly how the system is set up in such a way as to disadvantage couples and make them poorer. We couldn't hope to survive on my salary alone
    You really need to find out your benefit entitlements when she moves in.

From the information that you give you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Try the benefits calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk.

You cannot make a new claim for tax credits. You would have to claim Universal Credit. If your partner receives daily living PIP then you would be eligible for the carer's element despite your working.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    • 31,571 Posts
    • 80,928 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:16 AM
    Most sick and disabled people find they have to fight for everything - an over zealous assessor would be a rare and wonderful thing!
    • Treguard
    • By Treguard 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Treguard
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:30 AM
    You really need to find out your benefit entitlements when she moves in.

From the information that you give you will need to apply for Universal Credit.

Try the benefits calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk.

You cannot make a new claim for tax credits. You would have to claim Universal Credit. If your partner receives daily living PIP then you would be eligible for the carer's element despite your working.
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    I thought the carers element was means tested?

Apparently they can't force her onto universal credit?
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Jun 19, 10:37 AM
    • 3,596 Posts
    • 2,427 Thanks
    calcotti

The Carer’s element is just part of the build up of a UC entitlement. Carer’s Allowance has an earnings limit but this does not apply to the carer element of a UC.

It’s not a case of being forced onto UC. Your earlier post refers to claiming Working Tax Credits. The point made was that a new claim for WTC is not possible. Even if you or she already get WTC as a single person as soon as you become living together you must close that claim and cannot make a new couples claim.

Unless her ESA is only contribution based moving in with you will affect her entitlement. She will have to add you to her claim and she may lose entitlement.

She is not forced to claim UC but making a joint UC claim may be your only option if you are going to be eligible to receive anything.
    Last edited by calcotti; 13-06-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Jun 19, 10:38 AM
    • 6,043 Posts
    • 5,561 Thanks
    poppy12345

Universal credit is a means tested benefit. As your partner claims daily living PIP then you can claim the carers element of UC. It's different to claiming carers allowance and you can claim the carer element without claiming carers allowance.

As you're going to be living together as a couple, if your partner is claiming Income Related ESA, if you work more than 24 hours per week then she won't be entitled to claim the ESA.

All areas are now a full UC and new claims for tax credits are not possible unless your partner is claiming a certain benefit.

What benefits does she currently claim exaclty and do you work? More information is needed to be able to help you further.
    • ev8
    • By ev8 13th Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    ev8
    I don't believe I've ever heard of an assessor for ESA/PIP make you make changes to your home.
    They judge on what you have or need, their job isn't one of a social worker or occupational therapist.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 14th Jun 19, 7:22 AM
    • 6,895 Posts
    • 12,442 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    And ESA assessment wouldn't involve putting grab rails in your house, that's a social work assessment done by the council.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 14th Jun 19, 8:26 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    micky2phones
    Most sick and disabled people find they have to fight for everything - an over zealous assessor would be a rare and wonderful thing!
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Hi, I was thinking the same thing
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jun 19, 8:31 PM
    • 19,910 Posts
    • 50,593 Thanks
    elsien
    I want my girlfriend to live with me as long as I can put the look of my house before her needs?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 15th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 6,895 Posts
    • 12,442 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I want my girlfriend to live with me as long as I can put the look of my house before her needs?
    Originally posted by elsien
    I wasn't even going to go there. My husbands had to move into a building site to accommodate my needs, it was that or a sheltered house.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter