Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 13th Jun 19, 5:40 AM
    • 163Posts
    • 30Thanks
    illusionek
    Front AND rear parking camera
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:40 AM
    Front AND rear parking camera 13th Jun 19 at 5:40 AM
    Hello

I am looking for a recommendation for front and rear parking cam. Both need to be installed on the licence plate or similar level to cover blind spots. It would be ideal if they had ability to record as well.

I found few cameras online but they are sold directly from China with no reviews online so I am but reluctant to buy as I have no means to verify whether they are any good hence asking for a recommendation.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 13th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    • 4,676 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:00 AM
    If you want it quick and installed next base cameras from Halfords.

Otherwise blackvue
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 13th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    • 7,922 Posts
    • 7,749 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    Duplicate thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6013009
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 13th Jun 19, 1:09 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:09 PM
    Yeah reposted here as I thought it would be more suitable for this forum as I havent got much feedback on the other one.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,112 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 2:46 PM
    People will tend to see you have 2 identical threads and ignore the question totally. Which one will you read if any? So they think why bother.

Report one of your posts and get it merged.

No reviews your looking in the wrong places. Think big and pretend you want 1000 of them...where would you buy them? Plenty of reviews.

You have not stated any specs so anything on ebay for 20 will do.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 13th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    Richard53
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:04 PM
    If you want it quick and installed next base cameras from Halfords.

Otherwise blackvue
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    Those are dash cameras. The OP spoke of 'parking cameras' installed at bumper level, which I assume are different.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 13th Jun 19, 11:10 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:10 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:10 PM
    Why do you need a front facing parking camera? You can see exactly what is in front of you by looking straight ahead out of the windscreen. If you can't judge where the front of you car ends, maybe you shouldn't be driving.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 13th Jun 19, 11:16 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:16 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:16 PM
    Why do you need a front facing parking camera? You can see exactly what is in front of you by looking straight ahead out of the windscreen. If you can't judge where the front of you car ends, maybe you shouldn't be driving.
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    The precision with which you need to know where the front if you bumper is, is obviously massively different between driving and parking. Parking within 6 inches of a wall or bollard is obviously fine, driving within 6 inches of the car in front is obviously *not* fine.

If you need someone to point out the difference, maybe *you* shouldn't be driving...
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 14th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 815 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Scrapit
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    The precision with which you need to know where the front if you bumper is, is obviously massively different between driving and parking. Parking within 6 inches of a wall or bollard is obviously fine, driving within 6 inches of the car in front is obviously *not* fine.

If you need someone to point out the difference, maybe *you* shouldn't be driving...
    Originally posted by Ergates
    That response makes no sense. You should know where the extent of your vehicle is when driving and parking. Luckily there is usually a nice big window to look out of. Anyone looking a a screen going forwards is a danger.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ergates
    That response makes no sense. You should know where the extent of your vehicle is when driving and parking. Luckily there is usually a nice big window to look out of. Anyone looking a a screen going forwards is a danger.
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    Whilst parking, where inches matter, it is impossible in many cars to see *exactly* where the tip of your bumper is, due to the angle of the bonnet.

Whilst driving, inches don't matter, because feet matter. What is 6 inches from your front bumper is irrelevant because you're going to hit it and nothing you can do will prevent that, you need to be concerned about what is 6ft, 12ft, 18ft, etc in front of you so that they never get to the 6 inch mark.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 14th Jun 19, 9:36 AM
    • 12,183 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    DUTR
    Originally posted by debtdebt
    Disagree, with modern cars the bonnet line is steep, so whilst a camera at the front would be as useful as one for the rear, both not must haves.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jun 19, 11:00 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Manxman in exile

That's what I'd have thought. Our car has a rear parking sensor and it's really useful - I'd like one at the front too, although it's not necessary. I can't see the advantage of a camera over a sensor. Even with a camera it must be difficult to judge the distance to very close objects?
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ergates
    That's what I'd have thought. Our car has a rear parking sensor and it's really useful - I'd like one at the front too, although it's not necessary. I can't see the advantage of a camera over a sensor. Even with a camera it must be difficult to judge the distance to very close objects?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Not really, if the camera is placed correctly it'll give you a top-down view of your bumper and the approaching obstacle. It can also help you line up with things that won't get picked up by the sensor - e.g. parking bay lines.

The suggestion that people inching into a parking space using the camera (as well as mirrors etc) are somehow a danger is... well, "odd" to put it politely. A danger how exactly? To whom?
    People aren't going to be driving down the road using the camera rather than looking out of the windscreen.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 14th Jun 19, 3:26 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Scrapit
    Whilst parking, where inches matter, it is impossible in many cars to see *exactly* where the tip of your bumper is, due to the angle of the bonnet.

Whilst driving, inches don't matter, because feet matter. What is 6 inches from your front bumper is irrelevant because you're going to hit it and nothing you can do will prevent that, you need to be concerned about what is 6ft, 12ft, 18ft, etc in front of you so that they never get to the 6 inch mark.
    Originally posted by Ergates
    Saying the same thing again in a slightly different way doesn't make it better. You can know where parts of your car are without looking at them.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Jun 19, 10:55 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ergates
    Saying the same thing again in a slightly different way doesn't make it better. You can know where parts of your car are without looking at them.
    Well, it's a pretty simple thing that you seemed to struggle to understand the first time round. I'll try again, using small words this time.

On lots of cars you cannot see your front bumper from the drivers seat through the "nice big window". You can *assume* you know where the bits of your car are without seeing, but we all know what they say about assumptions.

That you say (in another thread) that you pay very high insurance premiums would tend to suggest you're not quite as aware of where the bits if your car are as you seem to think you are.

You've also not given a reason why you seem to think someone using a screen to park is "a danger". Logic would suggest the opposite would be true.
    Last edited by Ergates; 14-06-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 15th Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I can see why a front parking sensor would be useful (as I said, I'd like one but don't need it).

What advantage over a sensor does a camera have? (I'm assuming a camera's more expensive, more difficult to fit, more to go wrong etc).
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 15th Jun 19, 11:53 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    Ergates
    I can see why a front parking sensor would be useful (as I said, I'd like one but don't need it).

What advantage over a sensor does a camera have? (I'm assuming a camera's more expensive, more difficult to fit, more to go wrong etc).
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    Sensors usually tell you to "stop" (i.e. the beeping becomes a solid tone) around a foot or so away from the obstacle. With a camera, you can judge things far more finely - which can help if you're trying to squeeze into a tight space and, for instance, needed to bring your bumper to within a couple of inches or so of something.

Also, as I said, they can help you see things that wouldn't be picked up by sensors, like lines painted on the ground, or a low kerb.

For clarity: My car doesn't have a front camera - but I always reverse into parking spaces anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,619Posts Today

8,734Users online

Martin's Twitter