Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matt0503
    • By Matt0503 12th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Matt0503
    17 year old looking for insurance
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:58 PM
    17 year old looking for insurance 12th Jun 19 at 8:58 PM
    I know that this has been talked about a lot... but im looking for recent answers as most answers to my questions are from 2009-2014. Basically, i turned 17 in march and passed my driving test in may in a 2 litre passat. After that i wanted to buy insurance for the car but it was showing more that £3000 WITH a black box. Since then i have been looking at different cars and bought a 1.3 diesel corsa 2007 because i was getting low quotes for corsas, £1700-£2000 with 10,000 miles a year, WITH a black box. After buying the car 2 days ago ive been trying to look for insurance but all that is showing is a policy for £2200 WITH a black box and its only 5,000 miles a year (i worked it out to be 13-14 miles a day) which is not enough for me as i had a moped before that and did 3,000 miles in a few months. What i need help with is what can i do to lower my insurance? I tried to buy insurance for my dad with me added (on his car so he would drive it more making it legal) however I got quotes of £16,000 upwards. The best insurance quote i managed to get since buying the corsa was £2,200 and thats with my dad added to the policy and a black box.

I noticed that if i added my mum that the premium increased instead of decreasing, eventhough she has had her driving license for 8 years and is over 40

Is there nothing i can do apart from paying outrageous amounts or not driving at all? My friend had someone find him insurance and he found it cheapest with Collingwood for £1400 and apparently they didnt put a black box on his car because he added his mum to the policy. Is this an actual thing? And is it legal?

I would prefer to pay even £3000 but only if it was WITHOUT a black box as i know its irritating. Is this possible anywhere?

Ohh and the £2,200 quote i got was with 'More Than Smartwheels'

Thanks in advance for all answers, they are all appreciated
Page 2
    • warby68
    • By warby68 14th Jun 19, 5:06 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 10,866 Thanks
    warby68
    It really isn't THAT restrictive. My son was fairly cautious but he did go out at night, did do some heavier braking etc. It measures every journey, the occasional 'higher risk' move should average out.

It sounds more like you are rebelling against the idea of being controlled, not untypical at 17 (please note my sons' ages for direct experience lol), than the actual reality. Its more like IF you drive well you will get a better premium next year and some rewards - see the incentive not the control.

Almost everyone thinks they're a better driver than their peers, you clearly do even after only a couple of months. My son certainly does, 1 week after passing his test and getting lots of reassurance from his non driving mates who suddenly ike the lifts ! That may be so but its not what insurance companies make judgements on - their stance isn't personal. Also, if it IS true, then the Black Box tracking shouldn't be an issue for you.

Honestly, time to start to play the long game, not the immediate gratification one. Behaviours that will build you a good record and let you get the car of your dreams in few years.

Truthfully, I was more worried about me and their dad driving their cars with Black Boxes as I suspect with 70 years combined driving experience we have picked up few bad habits. Well, their dad has anyway, I'm still perfect - like you.

Good luck
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Jun 19, 5:07 AM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    As above once your past the first 2 years you will see a large drop in insurance costs as long as you dont have any claims.
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    Daughter noticed a massive drop at 3 years no claims. Under £500 now.

I did the quotes for her on her first car, virtually every car within 50 miles and the comparison site banned me...

Messaged or called them (forgot which) and said the price is more important than what the actual car is and they are genuine quotes, we were looking to purchase a car and insure it.

Think it was.. year 1 = £1100, 2 = £970, 3 = £740 and this years with 3 years no claims under £500 with a better policy that has all the boxes ticked like breakdown cover etc.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 14th Jun 19, 5:52 AM
    • 812 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Scrapit
    I wouldn't want a black box either and I'm getting on for middle aged.
    Insurance is daylight robbery and yes buyers get stung for others mistakes. I'm paying a fortune right now but it's part of motoring. So I pay it yearly, don't give em any interest for a loan and crack on. Now you now why there are so many uninsured drivers.
    As a side note don't people buy a banger and leave it parked up for a year building up no claims any more?
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Jun 19, 8:18 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Ergates
    Iam a careful driver, even the instructor that i was with said that i learn very quickly and drive very safely, afterall i did pass my test after 8 hours in 2 weeks with him and 2 months of driving with my own car which im really proud of, but one thing which is really annoying is the fact that i have to be restricted and pay tons of money for my insurance just because other idiots my age who got the chance and lost it for us all
    Originally posted by Matt0503
    The biggest thing you could do would be to persuade your compatriots to stop driving like a bunch of !!!!!!!s. There is a reason insurance premiums for young people are so high. Admittedly, it's a bit late for you, maybe you could help the next generation of 17 year olds though.

For you - take the black box. If, as you say, you are a careful driver, then you'll be fine. The rare bit of heavy breaking will be OK. Regular heavy breaking, however, is a sign of poor anticipation and observation.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 9,875 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Can you use any no-claims discount from the moped?

I dont really want a car under 1.2 litres
    i dont want to be restricted for example not been able to go 31mph instead of 30

As a new driver, you're usually restricted to the crap new-driver stuff. Remember you're only allowed 6 points in your first 2 years, which means 2 motoring offenses (or 1 bad one), so you need to drive like a nun for a while.

Car wise, you'll be much cheaper with a 1.0 litre, which is still going to get you places a lot better than the moped.

The other option is to get something that no new driver would be seen dead in, as it's all about statistics. Honda Jazz, old Volvo, etc.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Ergates
    The other option is to get something that no new driver would be seen dead in, as it's all about statistics. Honda Jazz, old Volvo, etc.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Nothing is going to have a great impact over the main statistic though: 17yr old new driver. DANGER! WILL ROBINSON. DANGER!
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 14th Jun 19, 11:59 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    I did call the police and they have recovered it however i couldnt make a claim on my insurance as it was third party only

I dont really want a car under 1.2 litres as i would prefer to get another 125cc bike if that was the case and i did try admiral, for the passat it was over their maximum premium (£30,000) so they couldnt even give me insurance. And for the corsa its £10,500

Regarding a black box policy i dont want to be restricted for example not been able to go 31mph instead of 30 and i dont want to get a low score because i would occasionally drive after 11PM, but i dont think smartwheels is that bad, as i said i would rather pay £3,000 without a black box than £2,000 with a black box. But the only low quote i got without a black box was £5,500 so i dont think i have much of a choice than to pay the £2,200 for smartwheels insurance

The only thing i hate is that if i select 10,000 miles that the insurance jumps to £3,000
    Unfortunately Matt, life isn't fair.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Jun 19, 1:08 PM
    • 2,820 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Dont get me wrong i will get a black box policy but if there was anything i could do to get a policy without a black box then i would definitely want to take that over not being able to 'get toilet paper at 11pm' which is a joke because if i buy a car then i should be able to use it whenever and however i like and not have someone telling me how hard i can press on the brake pedal.

Apart from that thank you to everyone for the answers, if you have any more tips or can help me out then that would be really useful
    How many at your age are having to go and get loo roll at 11pm? At 17 vast majority of people are still with their parents which is what insurance companies base their calculations on.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 14th Jun 19, 1:56 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    bengalknights
    Whats the insurance price on a hyundai getz or daewoo matiz?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 14th Jun 19, 2:10 PM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,840 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    I wouldn't want a black box either and I'm getting on for middle aged.
    Insurance is daylight robbery and yes buyers get stung for others mistakes. I'm paying a fortune right now but it's part of motoring. So I pay it yearly, don't give em any interest for a loan and crack on. Now you now why there are so many uninsured drivers.
    As a side note don't people buy a banger and leave it parked up for a year building up no claims any more?
    Originally posted by Scrapit

Insurance expense is a reflection of factors unique to you, I have about 14 years no claims and driver a bit of a boy racer style car and mine's about £350
    “the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    “I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 14th Jun 19, 2:29 PM
    • 10,289 Posts
    • 9,875 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Nothing is going to have a great impact over the main statistic though: 17yr old new driver. DANGER! WILL ROBINSON. DANGER!
    Originally posted by Ergates

Sure, the 17 year old male who's only just got his license, lives in a bad crime area and has previous vehicles thefts is going to make the bulk of the premium up, but other factors do include the cars, and things like Corsas are popular first car choices so involved in lots of accidents.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 14th Jun 19, 3:02 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    Ergates
    Sure, the 17 year old male who's only just got his license, lives in a bad crime area and has previous vehicles thefts is going to make the bulk of the premium up, but other factors do include the cars, and things like Corsas are popular first car choices so involved in lots of accidents.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Aye - I was meaning it in the sense of "don't expect any miracles"
    Last edited by Ergates; 14-06-2019 at 3:11 PM.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 14th Jun 19, 3:14 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,329 Thanks
    eamon
    This kind of thread pops up frequently. From memory the options usually are accept the black box (with its associated reporting) or change the make/model car to something less desirable. I would think of the money and look at less desirable motors, there are some gems out there that are loads better than a Corsa.

Should have read the OP 1st post a little better as he has already purchased a Corsa. Some decisions to be made then. Though still worthwhile doing more research on less desireable and cheaper to insure cars and then selling/exchanging/trading in the Corsa.
    Last edited by eamon; 14-06-2019 at 3:19 PM.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 15th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    • 5,815 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    19lottie82
    “The best way to lower your insurance premium is to do further driver training and pass the associated qualifications.”

I would disagree with this. It doesn’t make much difference in my experience. Maybe a few quid, but nothing to make much of an impact.

Re the Black Box, unfortunately at your age they will bring your quotes down a LOT. My step daughter has one and their not as restrictive as you think .You can drive at night (she works in a bar twice a week) and won’t get marked down for the odd trip, they just want to make sure you’re not out boy racing every night.

It will also make you a more responsible / better / safer driver in the long run.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 15th Jun 19, 9:33 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 1,090 Thanks
    fred246
    I was paying just over £100 a year for car insurance when my 17 year old passed his test. I phoned them up the day he passed and they wanted an extra £500 a year to put him on the policy. No black box mentioned. I payed £30 extra for him to be the main driver even though I had no idea who the main driver would be. I was wondering if they had made a mistake having heard all the horror stories. We live in a good area and I have 29 years no claims discount.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 16th Jun 19, 11:26 AM
    • 5,815 Posts
    • 8,716 Thanks
    19lottie82
    *I have 29 years no claims discount.*

I’m pretty sure the maximum NCD you can accrue is 9. You may have not made a claim in 29 years but it won’t better your premium any more than if you had 9.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jun 19, 11:57 AM
    • 24,749 Posts
    • 24,123 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Regarding a black box policy i dont want to be restricted for example not been able to go 31mph instead of 30
    You aren't restricted to 30mph. Unless it's a 30mph speed limit... Remember, six points in two years, and you're back on L plates.

and i dont want to get a low score because i would occasionally drive after 11PM
    I think you need to step back and look at it from the insurer's point of view.

They like low-risk drivers, because they're less likely to have to pay out. They don't have any driving history to go on, and young new drivers are statistically very likely to make expensive claims. You already have a theft to report on your record - this suggests you live in and/or visit high theft-risk areas. You are therefore more likely to have the car stolen than somebody else.

17yos in Corsas who drive late at night are, statistically, the drivers who are most likely to make expensive claims. It's not about how much your car's going to cost them if you write it off - it's about the cost of the injuries to the people in and around the car, and the damage to other cars and scenery around it, if and when you write it off.

as i said i would rather pay £3,000 without a black box than £2,000 with a black box. But the only low quote i got without a black box was £5,500 so i dont think i have much of a choice than to pay the £2,200 for smartwheels insurance
    And there y'go. They think that a 17yo in a Corsa who refuses a black box is roughly 2.5x more likely to cost them money than one who accepts it.

The only thing i hate is that if i select 10,000 miles that the insurance jumps to £3,000
    "Person who drives more is more likely to claim than somebody who drives less". Hold the front page...

Oh, and...
    I tried to buy insurance for my dad with me added (on his car so he would drive it more making it legal) however I got quotes of £16,000 upwards.
    That's called "fronting". Insurers really do not like it...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,126Users online

Martin's Twitter