Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 12th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    • 4,095Posts
    • 707Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Prepping fresh plaster for red paint?
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:32 PM
    Prepping fresh plaster for red paint? 12th Jun 19 at 8:32 PM
    Looking for advice on this as it was a bloody nightmare last time round.
    From what i can remember you're to prep fresh plaster (multi finish) with something like Dulux SuperMatt 50:50. I'm sure i then went something like 70:30 or 80:20 after this. The colour we had in is white.

The problem was that i had to put 6-8 coats of red on to get an even colouring, i'm guessing due to the white base coat.

Is there a better way around this? How about if i went with the SuperMatt and then bought a cheap B&Q / Wilko colour paint (grey maybe? light grey? dark grey?) and then went with the red paint on top of this? Or would that be a bad idea?

The situation is - the chimney breast face needed overskimming (boring story) so the sides of the chimney breast are still red but the face will need painting again.

Also what about painting a rendered wall? It's the internal wall of the chimney breast. It's still quite 'bitty' as in if i rub my hands over it bits will fall off. I've no idea how long this will take to dry out. They used Sovereign's Renderlite and i think they perhaps did a mix of some kind on top of that.

Just wondering how to prep that kind of surface also? Would you stick with the Dulux SuperMatt for that too? For the record the internal walls will be getting painted black.

Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jun 19, 10:06 PM
    • 27,718 Posts
    • 73,760 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Jun 19, 10:06 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 10:06 PM
    Use your red paint as the mist coat and just build up.

White is as bad to paint over as people think black is.

I'm really not sure sure why people try to penny pinch on paint. The labour to do a room is worth much more, even when it's your own.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Jun 19, 5:54 AM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:54 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:54 AM
    2 reasons there...

1) from memory (Iím a novice and itís been about 4 years since I last did/looked in to this) new plaster needs hitting with something like the Dulux SuperMatt, else paint will flake.
    Granted I donít know what it is that makes this SuperMatt so special and I understand thereís more than 1 way to skin a cat kind of thing.

2) the (red) paint has been discontinued. We have an unopened tin that we bought at the time but I donít want to run out and need more.

So on that note, would you buy in a cheap red colour to mist coat and then go with the topcoat of red? I agree with penny pinching. The paint I bought wasnít cheap.

I think the SuperMatt is a bit on the watery side anyway if I remember right and then iíd water it down further 50:50 so that it was practically that - water. Walls have held up well.

But to most cost with the actual top coat, how would you do that? Go 50:50 also or as itíll be a bit thicker maybe 30:70 paint:water and build up?

I just wouldnít be able to do that with the actual top coat I want to use as iíd run out.

• daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 8,388 Posts
    • 6,993 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:59 AM
    The mistake is choosing red, a difficult colour to apply evenly.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 13th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    No itís not.

• Kiran
    • By Kiran 14th Jun 19, 7:45 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:45 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:45 AM
    If you let the plaster dry out properly then all you need to do is mist coat with the colour as advised above. If you mist coat in white you will forever and a day be seeing white speckles through the paint too.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 14th Jun 19, 7:52 AM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:52 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:52 AM
    Good coverage is really just down to a good quality paint. Even using a decent trade paint which is much thicker, it's a minimum of two top coats. I used to use cheap emulsions, but after using stuff like Dulux trade, I'll never go back. The paint costs much more, but you save days.

I never bother with any of the special plaster paints, I just dilute some of my finish colour - yet to have any peeling paint.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 14th Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 27,718 Posts
    • 73,760 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    Who makes the paint? They will almost certainly be able to provide it. It will be in their catalogue - eg. if Dulux, it will be recorded in the Dulux mixing machine. Even Farrow & Ball provide all of their archived colours via special order. You can probably google the colour too and get a match - there's a site called epaint or similar that will give RAL, Pantone colour matches - or you just get your colour scanned.

It doesn't have to be supermatt, it just needs to be a matt paint.

50:50 on the mist coat - Plaster is thirsty and it the excess water just allows the paint to go on without having all the water sucked out of it, preventing a key. It's only the first coat that creates the initial key, so you can put on 100% paint after your mist coat.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Jun 19, 1:03 PM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:03 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 1:03 PM
    Just very quickly to answer as Iím at work on my break:

The colour is Dulux Endurance+ ďSalsa RedĒ

• Kiran
    • By Kiran 14th Jun 19, 1:23 PM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Kiran
    Taken from the Dulux technical section

Application : Brush, roller or spray . STIR THOROUGHLY BEFORE USE. Seal new or bare surfaces with a thinned first coat of Dulux Trade Diamond Matt (up to 1 part clean water to 10 parts paint). The normal finishing process is 2 coats of Dulux Trade Diamond Matt, however for significant colour change additional coats may be required.

When you say its been discontinued, do you mean that the Dulux Endurance has been replaced with Dulux Easy Care

I came across your thread about painting the chimney breast the 1st time,
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70768427

Looks like you had a time of it previously, are you sure you want to go through it all over again?
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 14th Jun 19, 3:13 PM
    • 2,118 Posts
    • 5,224 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Use your red paint as the mist coat and just build up.

White is as bad to paint over as people think black is.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Not in my experience.

Last year we repainted the entire house, white basecoat over existing off white walls with each room being painted off white on most of the walls with either 1 or 2 coloured feature walls in each room.

For most of the rooms we used Valspar for the colour and got good coverage with 2 coats, one of the rooms we used a Farrow and Ball red which took 4 or 5 coats, we initially put this down to F&B being of inferior quality to Valspar but I suppose it could have been the colour.

In our old house about 5 years ago we also painted onto a bare plaster wall, white mistcoat followed by red, I can't remember the brand or the amount of coats required but it was definitely less faff than the F&B red.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 14th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    • 1,924 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Grenage
    All things being equal, all colours should take the same number of coats over any other colour.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 14th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    If you let the plaster dry out properly then all you need to do is mist coat with the colour as advised above. If you mist coat in white you will forever and a day be seeing white speckles through the paint too.
    Originally posted by Kiran
    Well i mist coated in white beforehand and don't see any white speckles. With that said it was an absolute nightmare to cover. It did eventually cover but took forever and a day.

Question is - I have 1 tin of the colour i want. If this colour was still in use today and i could walk in and buy it off the shelf then i wouldn't even ask, i'd just use it.

But i only have 1.

So would you (or anyone reading this) just buy a cheap tub of red paint that reasonably matches the shade of red i want to use (something from Wilko's or B&Q own brand for example), use this as a mist coat, providing it's a matt finish and then use the 'decent' Dulux paint on top?

When you say its been discontinued, do you mean that the Dulux Endurance has been replaced with Dulux Easy Care
    Originally posted by Kiran
    I mean can you find Dulux Easycare+ in Salsa Red colour?

Looks like you had a time of it previously, are you sure you want to go through it all over again?
    Where did i say i want to do it all over again?

The fact i'm here asking surely shows that i don't?

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Just got round to starting.

Just wondering - how soon is too soon? I know there's variables.

The plaster job was done this Tuesday gone. We've had the windows open through the week, a little bit of heat at night, not much and it's been drying out well. The last small bits of noticeable wet in the plaster disappeared last night and today it was that pasty plaster colour, seemingly throughout. So that's only 5 days.

I started painting and for the most part it appears fine (fingers crossed). Just in a few sections it doesn't seem to want to take paint at all. Well, not literally at all but there's noticeable patches.

Which made me wonder how soon is too soon? I thought once it went pasty plaster colour it was ok as that's what i'd previously read?

• Kiran
    • By Kiran 17th Jun 19, 7:51 AM
    • 1,306 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    Kiran
    https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/products?id=49230&color-name=Salsa%20Red&color-rgb=AB1D2C&color-id=13359&cccid=1915147
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,386Users online

Martin's Twitter