Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 12th Jun 19, 8:16 PM
    • 381Posts
    • 59Thanks
    lloydyyy
    Which card?
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:16 PM
    Which card? 12th Jun 19 at 8:16 PM
    I'm looking to apply for a credit card to help build up my credit history; my credit report is healthy but the only thing lacking is a credit card. I had a credit card for a few years up until 2015-ish but cancelled it (daft decision for a few reasons but it paid 0.8% cashback on any spend amount in the year). Never missed a payment on anything, I have a mortgage, no credit applications for a while, etc.

I was looking at the Tandem card but I'm put off by the poor reviews. I'm attracted to Aqua's 0.5% cashback offering but I don't think they offer large credit limits. I'm thinking of applying for the Barclaycard Platinum Cadhback Plus because of its 0.25% cashback and travel benefits - their website says you need to have four years' experience of managing credit but their soft search indicated I should be accepted.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 12th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 3,647 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    Forget about Tandem. Aqua is a credit builder card and will not give you a good credit limit. Try the Barclaycard; a single application even if declined won't hurt and at least you will know where you stand.
    Presumably the closed credit card account is still showing on your credit files so there is some credit card management history shown there.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 12th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:24 PM
    Forget about Tandem. Aqua is a credit builder card and will not give you a good credit limit. Try the Barclaycard; a single application even if declined won't hurt and at least you will know where you stand.
    Presumably the closed credit card account is still showing on your credit files so there is some credit card management history shown there.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Thanks, I'll try Barclaycard. The Credit Club's soft search indicates I have a strong chance of being accepted by American Express but I know they're not accepted by some retailers, and I'm not keen on having 2 credit cards.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 12th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 8:59 PM
    Thanks, I'll try Barclaycard. The Credit Club's soft search indicates I have a strong chance of being accepted by American Express but I know they're not accepted by some retailers, and I'm not keen on having 2 credit cards.
    Originally posted by lloydyyy
    I'd probably not worry about having two credit cards. The important things are to keep them safe, use them sensibly and always pay in full every month - unless you are stoozing on a 0%-on-purchases card (but that's another story).

Two cards can be useful; if one provider has an IT 'meltdown' you can always revert to the other. Maybe apply for the one you want the most first.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 13th Jun 19, 9:47 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:47 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:47 PM
    On second thought, I'd rather apply to a provider with the best customer service. Any recommendations? John Lewis and Virgin Money seem to be highly rated.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jun 19, 9:54 PM
    • 6,626 Posts
    • 4,442 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:54 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 9:54 PM
    It depends how often you envisage contacting them.

I’ve held cards for years and never had to contact customer services for many of them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,510Users online

Martin's Twitter