Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 12th Jun 19, 1:58 PM
    • 2,889Posts
    • 2,599Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Earphones failing
    • 12th Jun 19, 1:58 PM
    Earphones failing 12th Jun 19 at 1:58 PM
    Not sure if this is the right board or not.

I seem to get through a lot of earphones (in ear bud type). I only use them with an MP3 player when running, or listening to a radio at night. (Bit of insomnia - World Service sends me to sleep).

They only seem to last a few months before they start to fail. This almost invariably begins with the left channel fading and then falling silent altogether. Can sometimes get a temporary fix by cleaning the connector, but this doesn't last for long.

Does anybody know if there's a reason for this? I've wondered if I've somehow stretched the cable or connector after falling asleep, but it's only ever the left channel that's affected.

Applies equally to different brands - JVC, Sony, and three pairs of quite pricey Sennheiser sports earphones.
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 12th Jun 19, 2:31 PM
    • 4,191 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:31 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:31 PM
    MP3 player output faulty?

or something like a faulty sound card/board in the player
    Last edited by ballyblack; 12-06-2019 at 2:34 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    • 13,306 Posts
    • 6,075 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 2:48 PM
    Running pulling on the cable to the bud ?
    • dan958
    • By dan958 12th Jun 19, 4:28 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    dan958
    • 12th Jun 19, 4:28 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 4:28 PM
    The wire has most likely just come undone from the speaker. You can take your earphone apart and fix it.
    • Legacoid
    • By Legacoid 13th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Legacoid
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:38 AM
    The fact that it's always the left does suggest that the LHS is getting some abuse. If it was pulling during running I'm sure you'd feel it (one of the things that made me go bluetooth for running), so I would imagine that it's something that happens as you fall asleep or when turning during sleep?

You could try getting more substantial over-the-ear phones for your nighttime listening - they typically have thicker more robust wires.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 13th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    I had the same issue. I used mine for the gym and its just a case of dirt/sweat/wax gradually getting inside and reducing the ability of the diaphragm to move air. The lower the ability the less air movement and the quieter the sound. After spending money every 6months on earphones I got headphones instead, and they have lasted much longer.

Strange its always the left ear though. Perhaps a different problem. You tried the mp3 player on the other arm?
    • capital0ne
    • By capital0ne 13th Jun 19, 10:21 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    capital0ne
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:21 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 10:21 PM
    Same with me, but I use 1 earbuds from those pound stores
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    MP3 player output faulty?

or something like a faulty sound card/board in the player
    Originally posted by ballyblack

Happens with different devices. Definitely earphone problem.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 7:05 AM
    Running pulling on the cable to the bud ?
    Originally posted by JJ Egan

Shouldn't. 'Phone cable has a clip to attach to clothing to allow free head movement etc.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jun 19, 7:08 AM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    I had the same issue. I used mine for the gym and its just a case of dirt/sweat/wax gradually getting inside and reducing the ability of the diaphragm to move air. The lower the ability the less air movement and the quieter the sound. After spending money every 6months on earphones I got headphones instead, and they have lasted much longer.

Strange its always the left ear though. Perhaps a different problem. You tried the mp3 player on the other arm?
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap

I clean the earphones regularly after running. May be my left ear is more sweaty or waxy than my right ear!

The MP3 player clips to clothing, not around the arm.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 14th Jun 19, 7:24 AM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Same with me, but I use 1 earbuds from those pound stores
    Originally posted by capital0ne

I know. A local audio store had some good quality 'phones at a ridiculously cheap price (I think the colour - blue - must have put people off as black ones were still full price), so I bought half a dozen, including for my wife - she keeps losing hers. Sound quality excellent and perfectly good for night-time use, but they won't stay in my ears when running! Have tried to Micropore tape them to my ears, but get funny looks!

I'm happy to pay a premium for good "sports" 'phones designed to stay in your ear, but not if 50% of them stops working after six months.

I'm actually going to have to get a replacement MP3 as the two I've got are beginning to fail (after 14 years of great service - Creative MuVo) so I may consider an alternative like Bluetooth and headphones. (Not keen on the idea of running in headphones?).

Any ideas on a replacement MP3 player? I'm also going to ask on the music board. I'm low-tech and want something equally low-tech as me, and physically robust. I've got all the music I want on CD, don't have or want a smartphone, or streaming etc (don't even know what it means!).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,126Users online

Martin's Twitter