Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BH246
    • By BH246 11th Jun 19, 7:12 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 25Thanks
    BH246
    Computer hacked/blocked
    • 11th Jun 19, 7:12 PM
    Computer hacked/blocked 11th Jun 19 at 7:12 PM
    It looks like my PC has been hacked. It will not allow me to enter the internet ot go system restore. Itbcome up with a message windows defender disabled. It just blocks me from doing anything. I can still receive the internet on my tablet and on my wife's I phone so it is not a broadband issue. Any possible suggestions please. I am on windowsv10nand virgin media is my provider. F SECURE is my security provider but the hacker seems to have bypass their security.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 29,464 Posts
    • 12,111 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    Or it could be a faulty drive.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • BH246
    • By BH246 11th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BH246
    • 11th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 8:05 PM
    Not likely it seems someone e has got into my PC remotely.this morning and blocked it. Is there any way to unblock.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 11th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    • 4,167 Posts
    • 5,183 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 11th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    first job , disconnect from the web

then decide if you have important photos / docs etc ,
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Jun 19, 9:41 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:41 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:41 PM
    If there is data you wish to save. I would take out the drive from the PC and replace it with a solid state drive or.... if you have an external storage drive, Boot into Safe Mode to make a copy of your important data.

Other ways to get to repair your PC;
    https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

If that doesn't work, create installation media on another computer using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and use that to repair the PC.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 11th Jun 19, 11:17 PM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 11th Jun 19, 11:17 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 11:17 PM
    I would create a Live CD, such as Parted Magic which is conveniently built into the Ultimate Boot CD. If you have another Windows computer and a spare 1 GB USB drive, this is simple enough to do if you choose this method.

A word of caution, however. Just because you put your installation of Windows into Safe Mode to recover your data, it doesn't necessarily stop viruses spreading themselves onto USB devices. If you absolutely must use your infected installation of Windows to recover your files, at least try use a CD. Once you have reinstalled Windows, scan the CD with an up-to-date antivirus to clean any potential viruses lurking within files, before using them.

My own personal preference for antivirus, which is ESET NOD32 typically doesn't bide well with the etiquette of these forums as there is a 29.99 price attached to it. However, I feel it is a small price for the security of your data - and the added bonus is that it doesn't tax your computer's resources as much as other antivirus software out there.

Don't just take my word for it when it comes to ESET's performance, though. Read this and take particular notice to Microsoft's performance - one that I see frequently thrust into peoples faces here, with the selling points that it's free and built into Windows, so it much be good.

Good luck recovering your files. Just be careful not to let the virus spread to your new installation of Windows by copying infected files over or taking shortcuts.
    Last edited by poppellerant; 11-06-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    • ddesoran9
    • By ddesoran9 12th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ddesoran9
    • 12th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 12th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    I'm not suer how good you are with all the techie things, but I'd suggest you to take it to the professionals and agree with EveryWhere, try to make a copy of an important data.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 12th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    • 12th Jun 19, 10:04 AM
    Your computer has not been hacked or blocked.

you need to describe the issue a bit better so we can diagnose it properly .

You say it wont allow you to go on the internet, which suggests to me that you can actually log onto the computer.
    So lets look at this logically .. Firstly, what error message do you get when you do try to open internet explorer ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Ollie Orpin
    • By Ollie Orpin 12th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ollie Orpin
    • 12th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 12th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    I am experiencing what appears to be the same issue. Let’s start be saying I have been very naive. When using my PC suddenly a message appears from what I thought was Microsoft saying my computer had been blocked and I should telephone freephone 0800 206 1022. It all looked very authentic and My computer was blocked I could not use it all. I phone the number and the operator gave me her name saying it was Microsoft help desk I was speaking to. I allowed her remote access to my PC and suddenly I twigged it was a scam. I immediately rang off and closed my PC. Since that happened yesterday I have been unable to access the internet or any recovery programme on Microsoft. Everything to do with Windows 10 looks to be frozen. I can still access my files, photos etc and have even been able to run a scan by the security company (I pay an annual fee for this service) theI scan shows no harmful elements. What can I do to try and reconnect. As you can see I am not very technically able otherwise I would have seen the scam before starting. I have looked up the phone number given and it is noted as dangerous so obviously other people have been caught out. at least I did not pay any money or give any bank details. Help.
    • Ollie Orpin
    • By Ollie Orpin 12th Jun 19, 4:25 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ollie Orpin
    I have been a very silly and naive boy well man. Yesterday when using my PC a message appeared from Microsoft saying my computer had been blocked and I was to phone Microsoft on a freephone number 0800 206 1022. As my PC was frozen I phoned and a Lady answered saying Microsoft help desk and gave me her name at that stage it seemed very genuine. Stupidly I gave her remote access to my PC before after a few minutes I twigged it was a scam. I stop the phone call and managed to close down my PC. When I tried to open it up again later it would not allow me any internet access or to antsy Microsoft function like network, settings, security or system reset. I can still access my files photos etc.the rest is frozen. I was also able to run a security scan by my providing for which I pay an annual fee. It showed up nothing suspicious. I am still unable to get my PC up and running so any advise will be very welcome. At least despite my stupidity I did not pay any money or give any bank details.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Jun 19, 5:03 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    AndyPix
    same as above.
    Not enough details about the problem.

What actually happens when you try to go to settings etc
    Do you get error messages ?

Also, stop paying that annual fee - as you will now realise, it is useless
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Gloucester85
    • By Gloucester85 12th Jun 19, 6:42 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gloucester85
    I can add my name to those would have been conned and had their PC corrupted. I can almost mirror the issues others have had and are still on going. Firstly if you look up the phone number 0800 206 1022 on the internet it shows as being dangerous. If I go into network settings it comes up with not connected. Also I have seen the error codes OX80070422 and OX81000202 appear when Trying audio which is disconnected and somewhere else but I cannot remember from where. I am sending this post from a friend who lives near me from his PC as I have no other means in my own ho,me. Can I add my name to those who would like to find a solution. Is it possible windows 10needs reinstalling and if I have got no internet connection how can I do this please. What exactly other information is required where am I looking so I can check when I go home later.
    • BH246
    • By BH246 13th Jun 19, 1:57 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    BH246
    It's me again. I see I am not the only person to be caught be the company using the phone number 0800 206 1022. I have still not resolve the problem. I can fire up my PC and get into my files and photos. I am getting the same error codes as above. I did mage to get into system restore and it started but after about 10 minutes it stopped with the code ox8007003. There is also a permanent red cross against the network internet connection at the bottom of my PC exactly the same with the audio connection. I must say it is not looking good. Is there anything else I can try or any further information that is needed. At least I still have my Samsung tablet that is working and that is what I am using to post on this site. This really is a cry for help.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Jun 19, 2:03 PM
    • 2,804 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    It's me again. I see I am not the only person to be caught be the company using the phone number 0800 206 1022. I have still not resolve the problem. I can fire up my PC and get into my files and photos. I am getting the same error codes as above. I did mage to get into system restore and it started but after about 10 minutes it stopped with the code ox8007003. There is also a permanent red cross against the network internet connection at the bottom of my PC exactly the same with the audio connection. I must say it is not looking good. Is there anything else I can try or any further information that is needed. At least I still have my Samsung tablet that is working and that is what I am using to post on this site. This really is a cry for help.
    Originally posted by BH246

Copy off your data and run a clean install of the operating system. What make and model your PC?
    • that
    • By that 13th Jun 19, 5:56 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 714 Thanks
    that
    I would get one of the bootable CDs listed below (probably opt for bit defender), and do a virus scan from it.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785

Or, get a live linux CD, install av, do a scan and then copy bits off. think the second method is harder, but both will accomplish the same thing, butn the second way is much harder if you have never worked with linux

then copy off your stuff, though there is not much in it who ever method you use.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 13th Jun 19, 7:35 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    I have an abject feeling what the two posters are seeing are actually full-screen popup adverts. Are you both using Microsoft Edge by any chance? Edge will remember what you were lasting looking at and will restore it in all its glory. Which if you were looking at a full-screen popup is what it will do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,951Posts Today

7,620Users online

Martin's Twitter