Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 11th Jun 19, 6:26 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 70Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    Why are people here quick to defend the 'rights' of the banking companies?
    • 11th Jun 19, 6:26 PM
    Why are people here quick to defend the 'rights' of the banking companies? 11th Jun 19 at 6:26 PM
    Even when it is evident that the customer clearly isn't at fault or otherwise committed any wrongdoing?

For example, I bet that if there was a story where somebody had a prolonged stay in hospital of a month or more due to being in a coma, and their income stopped, causing direct debits to bounce or take their bank account overdrawn, and the bank account accumulates so many charges from being overdrawn or returning direct debits and their account ended up defaulting as a result and getting closed, many people on here would be very unsympathetic with them and quicker to defend the banks 'rights' than someone's who never asked to be in a coma and must find it hard enough as it was to get over the trauma of being in a coma and losing their bank account adding to the stress and frustration the bank refusing to let them have their account back, open a new one or if they are lucky, being made to feel like a peasant by only being allowed a basic account as a replacement account.
Page 2
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 13th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    Very kind of you to prove my point by demonstrating exactly the sort of warped logic and misguided paranoia that I was referring to!

So, of the 16 posters other than you on this thread, "a large majority" presumably means, say, 12 who are allegedly "so supporting of the banks" (as opposed to simply laughing at the laughable)? Name them....

Or for that matter name all those on this thread who you believe are demonstrating inside knowledge of the inner workings of banks - even the one who does work in a bank isn't actually doing that as far as I can see!
    Originally posted by eskbanker

For thread read 'Board' (Budgeting and Bank Accounts), my mistake. As for naming them; you're having a laugh aren't you? If I did so I can guarantee every one of them would deny it.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 19, 4:29 PM
    • 11,434 Posts
    • 14,195 Thanks
    eskbanker
    For thread read 'Board' (Budgeting and Bank Accounts), my mistake. As for naming them; you're having a laugh aren't you? If I did so I can guarantee every one of them would deny it.
    Originally posted by johnsmith1890
    So, given the thousands who've posted on this board (47k threads with 520k posts at the time of posting), rather than the tiny subset on this thread, how would you go about providing any sort of support for your assertion that "a large majority are so supporting of the banks", to dispel any concerns that others might have that you're just making it up?
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 13th Jun 19, 4:34 PM
    • 558 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    So, given the thousands who've posted on this board (47k threads with 520k posts at the time of posting), rather than the tiny subset on this thread, how would you go about providing any sort of support for your assertion that "a large majority are so supporting of the banks", to dispel any concerns that others might have that you're just making it up?

I have no intention of going about anything. I am merely stating an opinion. I think I'm right (and you're wrong), but I may not be. Anyway, if you're so interested in the provision of support for an assertion - where's yours? Or is it just your opinion that they don't work in the financial sector?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 19, 4:50 PM
    • 11,434 Posts
    • 14,195 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I have no intention of going about anything. I am merely stating an opinion. I think I'm right (and you're wrong), but I may not be.
    Granted it started out as expressing an (unsupported) opinion but went somewhat further by post #19.

Anyway, if you're so interested in the provision of support for an assertion - where's yours? Or is it just your opinion that they don't work in the financial sector?
    I'm open-minded - I have no idea how many posters on here work in banks but even those who claim to do so seem perfectly capable of articulating reasonable lines of argument when posting on here, as opposed to the blind unconditional support you seem to believe is shown. I prefer to judge posts on their merit rather than opining about who may or may not be insiders....
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 13th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    I do work in a bank, and am a customer of others. I agree, the “poor me, evil banks” posts tend to be from the overly entitled and apparently of lowly morals people who don’t understand that a business relationship is a two-way street.

For example, I read a post on here a while back from someone wanting to sue as the bank closed their door for a couple of minutes while moving cash.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jun 19, 5:08 PM
    • 11,434 Posts
    • 14,195 Thanks
    eskbanker
    For example, I read a post on here a while back from someone wanting to sue as the bank closed their door for a couple of minutes while moving cash.
    Originally posted by Kentish Dave
    I'd forgotten about that one, what a belter! "False imprisonment", "unlawful detention", 'deprivation of liberty', the works....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5950415

Post #17 was spot on!
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 14th Jun 19, 4:40 PM
    • 3,655 Posts
    • 4,162 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Originally posted by Kentish Dave
    Still stunned I didn't get PPRed for telling them to get the f**k over themselves.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • db2016
    • By db2016 16th Jun 19, 1:16 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    db2016
    there are some great entitled posts on here for sure.

and across the forums.

the debt ones are the "best" some don't learn or just want the answer. but don't get that theres a cause behind it.

one recently - with a lot of replies, over a year or so, big debt, learned how to budget etc, but then spat dummy out and left coz convinced he / she was now in control and could add to the debt with a huge new building project! (not having got rid of half of the debt).

disagree to an extent with the being able to see the trolls / bad posters when they joined. some (inc me) did join to find an answer, thinking this would be a good place to find it. . . granted i stuck around, some dont.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 16th Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 4,792 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    db2016...ooh I wonder who that could possibly be!!??!! Spat the dummy, never to be heard from again, because some posters (cough) didn't think their plan was particularly sound.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • db2016
    • By db2016 17th Jun 19, 2:03 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    db2016
    indeed! i wonder - i'll just have to try really hard, if they come back... to not have a bad case of the schadenfraude!

yea i'm going to hell!

db2016...ooh I wonder who that could possibly be!!??!! Spat the dummy, never to be heard from again, because some posters (cough) didn't think their plan was particularly sound.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 17th Jun 19, 2:56 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    That thread about the bank lock in (thanks for sharing the link) is the most ludicrous thread I've ever read on here.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 17th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 2,993 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    phillw
    Yes it does, but the naivety of thousands here who respond to those type of posts believing them is astonishing.
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    I find it satisfying to politely reply to a troll as if I believe them. If I'm wrong and they aren't a troll but instead have a really disordered life then I'm still helping.

Any trolls hoping to get a pay off by seeing me rant at them are also disappointed, win-win.

I am certainly not pro-bank & have made complaints that have sometimes been successful and other times unsuccessful, if someone comes here asking for advice and I wouldn't bother trying to complain based on my previous experience then that will be the advice I'd give.

If a bank hasn't done anything wrong, then a complaint is kinda hard to win. You can try to be nice and hope they are sympathetic and wave charges etc but if they resist then it's a waste of everyones time to pretend you can build a case out of air.

If you're in hospital and rack up bank charges because you don't have enough money in the account to pay DD etc, then I don't see what the bank did wrong. I wonder how the bank is supposed to know you're in a coma and therefore be kind to you and keep paying DD even though you are going further and further in debt, compared to someone who just doesn't pay their bills.

Or are you saying they should just keep paying out just in case there is a "good" reason, even though in 99.99999% of cases there isn't one.
    Last edited by phillw; 17-06-2019 at 7:28 PM.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 18th Jun 19, 5:30 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    msallen
    I'd forgotten about that one, what a belter! "False imprisonment", "unlawful detention", 'deprivation of liberty', the works....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5950415

Post #17 was spot on!
    Interesting to note that the two people who clicked thanks on the posts from the prisoner in that thread, are our very own OP and Mr Smith from this thread.

Could this be an indication that they are actually paid operatives of a giant anti-banking conspiracy, funded by Bitcoin hypers, intent on overthrowing the world financial system? ... Nah, probably not.
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 18th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    That thread about the bank lock in (thanks for sharing the link) is the most ludicrous thread I've ever read on here.
    Originally posted by Greta Sharbo
    You haven't seen the (very short lived because it got closed) thread posted last year where someone asked if they could sue Lloyd's because they had a dream about rollercoasters.........
    • nick74
    • By nick74 18th Jun 19, 12:15 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    nick74
    I wonder if I could sue the RBS Group as I still occasionally get the 'Natwest piggies' advert music stuck in my head, even after 35 years?
    • deadendwaterfall
    • By deadendwaterfall 18th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    deadendwaterfall
    I wonder if I could sue the RBS Group as I still occasionally get the 'Natwest piggies' advert music stuck in my head, even after 35 years?
    Originally posted by nick74
    If you can afford a decent enough lawyer, knock yourself out.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 18th Jun 19, 12:28 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Originally posted by nick74
    I have no memory of that advert, but just had to google it and found it on YouTube.
    Catchy!
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 18th Jun 19, 12:51 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    Ergates
    I have no memory of that advert, but just had to google it and found it on YouTube.
    Catchy!
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    Now you can sue RBS too.
    • Kate/Bob
    • By Kate/Bob 18th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 5,492 Thanks
    Kate/Bob
    Originally posted by Greta Sharbo

It's great but I'm not sure it's quite up to the level of the dead dog in a carrier bag (House buying, renting & selling) or the subway meatballs (Consumer rights) threads from years back.
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 18th Jun 19, 1:42 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 2,855 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Has anyone read the "Unacceptable delays from employer regarding my request" on the "Employment, Jobseeking & Training" board?

...thought asking for 'back pay' might be an option

(the dog made me post this)
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,322Users online

Martin's Twitter