Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 11th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    • 6,092Posts
    • 12,119Thanks
    iammumtoone
    put wrong fuel in car - help
    • 11th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    put wrong fuel in car - help 11th Jun 19 at 6:23 PM
    I just put super unleaded in rather than unleaded

Does this matter? Car was empty before I filled and by the time I realised I had put in 3/4 tank. Should I top it up to full with normal unleaded? Or does it make no difference (apart from the cost) my car is a 6 year old basic 1.2 engine.

EDIT: just looked a the fuel cap it says to use super 95 octane.

Thanks
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 11-06-2019 at 6:32 PM.
Page 2
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 21,385 Posts
    • 15,643 Thanks
    molerat
    Damage is usually caused by using lower octane fuel in cars that require higher.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Jun 19, 7:20 PM
    • 2,821 Posts
    • 3,789 Thanks
    Robisere
    No one has asked the most relevant question: what car/make/model?

OP, check your car's handbook. It should give you information regarding Octane Rating. If it states that your car can use 97 or 98 Octane fuel, the engine's computer will have a sensor that detects the higher octane and adjust accordingly. If this is not in your handbook, it really does not matter, no harm will be done.

An engine that can use a higher octane fuel will benefit from it. It has more effect than just "cleaning the engine". For an engine that can use it, there is an increase in performance. For an engine that cannot use it, it makes no difference, except to the higher price. The difference varies according to the car's rated performance.

Spaced Octane molecules? Really?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • a.turner
    • By a.turner 12th Jun 19, 7:30 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    a.turner

OP, check your car's handbook. It should give you information regarding Octane Rating. If it states that your car can use 97 or 98 Octane fuel, the engine's computer will have a sensor that detects the higher octane and adjust accordingly. If this is not in your handbook, it really does not matter, no harm will be done.

An engine that can use a higher octane fuel will benefit from it. It has more effect than just "cleaning the engine". For an engine that can use it, there is an increase in performance. For an engine that cannot use it, it makes no difference, except to the higher price. The difference varies according to the car's rated performance.

Spaced Octane molecules? Really?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Is that a long winded way of saying it doesn't matter?
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 12th Jun 19, 7:35 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Scrapit
    The wrong type of petrol. I don't know what the difference is (apart from cost). I think its reasonable to ask if you are not sure.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    To the average driver the price is the only difference
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 12th Jun 19, 11:15 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 2,438 Thanks
    Richard53
    Petrol in a petrol car. What's the problem here?
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    The OP accidentally filled with something other than her usual fuel and was wondering if it would cause a problem. That's not an unreasonable thing to do, and is what these forums are for.

Just because the answer is obvious to some of us, doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone. No one is born knowing this stuff. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 13th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 4,200 Posts
    • 3,865 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Totally reasonable to ask - a lot of my family members would panic too!
    You'll do some good, if anything - lots more detergents and cleaning agents in super.

No need to treat it any different than another tank of fuel.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 13th Jun 19, 12:09 PM
    • 8,095 Posts
    • 3,350 Thanks
    almillar
    Don't need to, we've already got it covered. OP confirmed that the petrol cap says 95RON, and doesn't mention anything better. So she just wasted her money (possible effects of any additives aside), rather than break anything.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Jun 19, 5:21 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 637 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    Yeah nothing to see here; thought it was going to be an entertaining thread.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 15,137 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Yeah nothing to see here; thought it was going to be an entertaining thread.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    I thought the concept of Octane spacing out the petrol molecules was amusing
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,601Users online

Martin's Twitter