Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mayfair321
    • By Mayfair321 11th Jun 19, 3:19 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mayfair321
    Letting out our house
    • 11th Jun 19, 3:19 PM
    Letting out our house 11th Jun 19 at 3:19 PM
    We are going to be letting our house out in order to purchase a new one to live in. Our current house has been refurbished to a good standard in the last 10 years but some of the rooms would benefit from redecorating, which we would do if we were staying. Is it worth us spending the 2-3k it would cost to redecorate before getting our first tenants in? By the looks of it we would not be allowed to deduct this as an expense when calculating our tax returns?
    Also, we will need to leave all our built in appliances and fridge freezer, washing machine etc meaning we have to buy new ones for our next house. Is there a way to deduct these expenses by saying we are buying them for the rental house?
    Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 13th Jun 19, 3:52 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    babyblade41
    I think with your . may I say "optimistic " view on being a LL you may be in for a bumpy ride

A 4 bed house will mean most likely a family renting your house ..white goods will take a bashing so I would remove

If you can cope with a void, could you cope with them not leaving, you say you haven't the time to paint, just having a letting agent doesn't admonish you from responsibility either.

What if your circumstances change and you need the extra income? .. your tenants won't move, they don't pay the rent and they are certainly not looking after the property as you would hope

I did a Section 8 without legal assistance but it is frustrating , costly , hassle and the chances of getting anything back are remote.

You then have to completely re-furbish it from scratch to get it ready for sale again... plus all the utility bills when you have finally got the bailiffs in to remove tenants... maybe 12 months down the line .. all the while you have a mortgage to pay , council tax etc

I'd really consider just selling it at a good price and get shot of it ASAP.. I think you may find being a LL is not all it's cracked up to be
    • Durban
    • By Durban 13th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Durban
    If you leave all of your white goods and they break down you are liable to have them fixed.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead

No you are not.

OP - yes it definitely can be done but not plain sailing. We did the same 6 years ago and it was the right thing for us to do and worked out well although we did have to evict a tenant for turning property into a drug den.

Do your research, comply with the law, be a good landlord, get rent guarantee insurance, save any profit for void periods and maintenance.
    Last edited by Durban; 13-06-2019 at 3:56 PM.
    Mortgage at highest start date - 25/9/2014 - 92000
    Mortgage now 13/4/2018 - 48,674
    MFD - October 2025 MF Goal Date 2021
    • Durban
    • By Durban 13th Jun 19, 3:59 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Durban
    [QUOTE=Comms69;75913920]So hypothetical, what happens if the tenant stops paying rent? You're going to be significantly in the red by the sounds of it.

Rent guarantee insurance which will cover eviction costs for non payment of rent
    • Mayfair321
    • By Mayfair321 13th Jun 19, 4:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mayfair321
    Thanks everyone for your input. We know it will not be plain sailing and we know lots of people who have rented out properties so we are not going in blind! (In fact we were landlords 12 years ago) Yes the easier option would have been to sell but we would have lost our dream house. We are lucky we can afford the two mortgages if need be and if we struggle to rent it we can always sell at a later date.
    My main concerns were whether to redecorate - I have decided to just do our kitchen/diner and hallway - and if there was any way to claim expenses on having to buy new white goods. All sorted now!
    Thanks @Durban for saying it is possible ��
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 13th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Durban - if you are going to say that the landlord isn't responsible for white goods, then you need to explain contractual and safety obligations, which is only fair.
    • Durban
    • By Durban 13th Jun 19, 7:28 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    Durban
    Durban - if you are going to say that the landlord isn't responsible for white goods, then you need to explain contractual and safety obligations, which is only fair.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead
    https://www.complete-ltd.com/blog/white-goods-landlords-responsibility/

I didn't say that the landlord was not responsible for them , I said that they were not responsible for getting them fixed if they break down which is what you said
    Last edited by Durban; 13-06-2019 at 7:37 PM.
    • Fire Fox
    • By Fire Fox 14th Jun 19, 2:30 AM
    • 25,157 Posts
    • 29,400 Thanks
    Fire Fox
    I may try and do some of the decorating myself but am short on time as I have lots to sort out before the house move, plus our high ceilings are putting me off doing it myself!!
    Originally posted by Mayfair321
    Do the ceilings need repainting? Should not be damaged. If it is grubby it will need 'deep cleaning' before decorating, it may come up good enough not to need painting.

Use sugar soap (yellow luminous liquid from Home Bargains, other discounters or the decorating section of Wilko) and a large flat-pad microfibre mop. This stuff will remove all sorts of marks that other cleaning products cannot shift.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
    • G_M
    • By G_M 14th Jun 19, 5:39 AM
    • 49,730 Posts
    • 61,766 Thanks
    G_M
    Originally Posted by lookstraightahead
    If you leave all of your white goods and they break down you are liable to have them fixed.

No you are not.
    Originally posted by Durban
    That categorical response is misleading. As your own link in your later post makes clear
    * the LL is not statutorially responsible
    * the LL may be contractually responsible

So the tenancy agreement should be referred to. Any responsible LL should make it contractually clear in the TA which party is responsible for white goods maintenance, repair or replacement.
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 14th Jun 19, 6:54 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    Thanks everyone for your input. We know it will not be plain sailing and we know lots of people who have rented out properties so we are not going in blind! (In fact we were landlords 12 years ago) Yes the easier option would have been to sell but we would have lost our dream house. We are lucky we can afford the two mortgages if need be and if we struggle to rent it we can always sell at a later date.
    My main concerns were whether to redecorate - I have decided to just do our kitchen/diner and hallway - and if there was any way to claim expenses on having to buy new white goods. All sorted now!
    Thanks @Durban for saying it is possible ��
    Originally posted by Mayfair321

If you can afford both mortgages then Sell it outside of the chain? Clearly you're not wanting to be a LL for the money so why put yourself through all the hassle when you could just sell it and move on?
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 0/500
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 14th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    If you can afford both mortgages then Sell it outside of the chain? Clearly you're not wanting to be a LL for the money so why put yourself through all the hassle when you could just sell it and move on?
    Originally posted by chunkytfg
    I don't think the op believes it will be any hassle. The impression I get is that they believe tenants don't require the same standard accommodation as she/he would. In my opinion a landlord needs to operate a rental as a business, not just getting someone in and making do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter