Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shops2much
    • By Shops2much 11th Jun 19, 9:13 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shops2much
    Changing energy supplier
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:13 AM
    Changing energy supplier 11th Jun 19 at 9:13 AM
    Hi all - I'm new to this forum, hoping you can help me.

I joined the MSE energy club and I'm looking to change energy supplier. I haven't changed supplier since I moved into my house years ago! Just changed tariff with the same supplier. But now there are some good cheaper tariffs - my current supplier only gives comparable good tariffs to new customers so I am leaving them (so much for customer loyalty!).

My question is how easy is it to change, are some suppliers better than others?
    Looking at moving to SoEnergy, Bristol Energy or Bulb.

Thanks for your help.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:24 AM
    Just a click or two really.

You will need 12 months actual consumption to get the most accurate estimates. The MSE energy Club gives some feedback on the suppliers - customer service, etc.

Your new supplier drives the change - they will give you a changeover date and ask you for meter readings. The old supplier will send you a final bill.

Job done - keep on top of your meter readings.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jun 19, 9:46 AM
    • 13,306 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:46 AM
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:46 AM
    As above really simple .
    Start taking weekly meter readings until switched .
    Once switched monthly readings to keep on top .
    Remember comparison estimated yearly cost and estimated direct debits are just that .
    Estimates key is unit and standing charges times what you actually use .

Customer loyalty better off then MSE shuts down .
    • Shops2much
    • By Shops2much 11th Jun 19, 10:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shops2much
    • 11th Jun 19, 10:57 AM
    • 11th Jun 19, 10:57 AM
    Thanks for your replies. I have a spreadsheet with my selection of tariffs on and I know my annual kWh for gas and electricity so I've calculated my costs, & therefore saving, by supplier/tariff. My readings are vaguely up to date (3wks ago) but thanks for the advice to take weekly readings.
    I just wanted to check if it really was as simple as a couple of clicks online, if the new supplier arranges it all and if anyone could recommend (or the opposite) when changing suppliers. I've looked at customer service ratings and happy with my top 3 choices but good customer service is (relatively) easy when producing a few bill / DDs - I was just seeing if anyone had a bad experience (or good) changing over and what to look out for.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    • 13,306 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:04 PM
    Check / read the relevant threads .
    Bulb So Energy and Bristol Energy .

Never been with any of those providers so cannot comment but Ten plus swaps have gone through no problem . That includes single fuel suppliers and dual fuel .
    • ashkon
    • By ashkon 13th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ashkon
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:56 AM
    As a heads up, if you do go with Bulb try and use a referral link, e.g. my link this week is offering 75 cash back to both of our accounts when you sign up. I won't post here as I guess they are not allowed, plus you will want to look at the other suppliers. If you want the referral ink though let me know!

I can't comment much on them yet as I have only been with them for a month and am trying to be impartial. As a first time buyer I found the switch over was simple, just one phone call then logging on to the site to provide meter readings, however I have no other experience to compare agaonst. Good luck with your decision though and hope you save some money.
    Originally posted by Plutonomics
    I'm looking to change supplier following the ending of a fixed deal with my current supplier.
    Bulb are coming out near the top of the Cheap Energy Club. There are 1 or 2 cheaper options from suppliers I've never heard of, and MSE say they too have no ffedback of. So following MSE advice, I scrolled down.

I read brilliant reviews of Bulb both here and elsewhere. MSE will only pay 25 cashback, and they say that could take 3-6 months to arrive.

Would much prefer the 75 you are offering. Could you let me know the referral link to use please for this 75
    • ashkon
    • By ashkon 14th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ashkon
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:14 PM
    No problem, it is:
    www. bulb. me/kevinn3179

I did try PMing but it look like you can't receive yet. Hope that helps, and if you have any questions at all let me know.

Cheers
    Thank you so much

Have just made my application. Will keep you all informed how it goes.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 14th Jun 19, 12:32 PM
    • 13,306 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:32 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:32 PM
    No problem, it is:

I did try PMing but it look like you can't receive yet. Hope that helps, and if you have any questions at all let me know.

Cheers

Marked as SPAM and REPORTED .
    • Plutonomics
    • By Plutonomics 14th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Plutonomics
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 12:47 PM
    Apologies, post now deleted. I definitely didn't intend to spam and will be more vigilant about posting links. Anyway, glad it could help you Ashkon and all the best.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,913Posts Today

7,731Users online

Martin's Twitter