Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RayUK
    • By RayUK 10th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RayUK
    Partners Credit Score
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    Partners Credit Score 10th Jun 19 at 3:28 PM
    I live with my partner and our two children. Our finances are separate apart from one joint debit account. If my Credit score drops as a result of defaulting on a credit card which is only in my name, would her credit score be affected because of that one link of our finances?
    Thanks for any advice
    Ray
Page 2
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Jun 19, 10:38 AM
    • 3,332 Posts
    • 2,806 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Is there an option where you can close your joint bank account?

That would be the only surefire way of guaranteeing that you defaulting on your debts will not affect your partner's ability to get credit.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • RayUK
    • By RayUK 14th Jun 19, 12:50 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RayUK
    My partner does know about the debt now. And I should have told her a long time ago of course.... It was very positive to open up to her.
    And we are considering closing the joint account to separate our finances.
    I will send off the suggested letter so I have a little time to sort things out. And I am aware that my credit score will crumble... Thank you all for the advice... it is immensely helpful and comforting
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 14th Jun 19, 2:19 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 4,373 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    My partner does know about the debt now. And I should have told her a long time ago of course.... It was very positive to open up to her.
    And we are considering closing the joint account to separate our finances.
    I will send off the suggested letter so I have a little time to sort things out. And I am aware that my credit score will crumble... Thank you all for the advice... it is immensely helpful and comforting
    Originally posted by RayUK
    Not your score, your history.

Your score may well drop, but no one sees that but you.

Lenders will only see your history and the way your accounts were managed, not the made up score
    • RayUK
    • By RayUK 14th Jun 19, 2:29 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RayUK
    Sorry, yes, credit file not score.... thanks for the clarification
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Jun 19, 6:48 PM
    • 35,062 Posts
    • 22,162 Thanks
    DCFC79
    The sooner you do something about it the better it will be for you and your partner. Leave it any longer and it gets worse.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,249Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter