Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrew957
    • By andrew957 10th Jun 19, 10:13 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    andrew957
    Claiming under multiple travel insurance policies
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:13 AM
    Claiming under multiple travel insurance policies 10th Jun 19 at 10:13 AM
    I have two 'packaged' bank/credit card-based travel insurance policies from two different vendors.

I have suffered a loss (reported to the police etc) of an item costing ~1500.

Both policies offer cover up to 2000 total. One policy has a 600 per-item limit, the other has a 500 per-item limit.

The policy states that they are entitled to approach the other insurer for a contribution and they will only pay their share.

Obviously given the per-item limit I am not trying to claim twice in the sense of getting a double pay-out/more than the value of the loss. If the item lost was valued at 500 I understand that the insurers could only pay 250 each (i.e. paying their share).

But in this case I'm expecting both insurers to pay up to their item limit as I have been paying them both for the insurance.

I will be up-front with both that I have other insurance, but what is the legal standing here - am I entitled to cover from both policies?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 10th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    I have two 'packaged' bank/credit card-based travel insurance policies from two different vendors.

I have suffered a loss (reported to the police etc) of an item costing ~1500.

Both policies offer cover up to 2000 total. One policy has a 600 per-item limit, the other has a 500 per-item limit.

The policy states that they are entitled to approach the other insurer for a contribution and they will only pay their share.

Obviously given the per-item limit I am not trying to claim twice in the sense of getting a double pay-out/more than the value of the loss. If the item lost was valued at 500 I understand that the insurers could only pay 250 each (i.e. paying their share).

But in this case I'm expecting both insurers to pay up to their item limit as I have been paying them both for the insurance.

I will be up-front with both that I have other insurance, but what is the legal standing here - am I entitled to cover from both policies?

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by andrew957
    Have you ever tasted prison food???????????

If you do claim on both policy's you will have to deduct the excess on both policy's for making a claim so will it be worth claiming? 250 from each insurer less the excess and maybe a insurance renewal increase.

You mention 1500 loss but you have not said if this 1 item or a few items and not the nature of the loss, theft, accidental, mugging or lost luggage on a holiday as telling MSE what happened may help people give more advice on your claims.
    • andrew957
    • By andrew957 10th Jun 19, 11:19 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrew957
    • 10th Jun 19, 11:19 AM
    • 10th Jun 19, 11:19 AM
    I'm not sure why prison food is relevant and I don't understand the remainder of your reply I'm afraid.

To be clear I have lost an item costing 1500 - i.e. one item.

I'm happy to pay both excesses, the question is specifically around per-item cover limits and multiple policies.

Packaged insurance products are unlikely to see an insurance renewal increase.
    • andrew957
    • By andrew957 10th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrew957
    • 10th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 12:25 PM
    To answer my own question and to help anyone else in the same situation... I called insurer #1 who processed and settled the claim on the spot, and actually suggested themselves that as they couldn't cover the whole item cost I should make a claim from the other insurer to cover the remainder.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 10th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:28 PM
    To answer my own question and to help anyone else in the same situation... I called insurer #1 who processed and settled the claim on the spot, and actually suggested themselves that as they couldn't cover the whole item cost I should make a claim from the other insurer to cover the remainder.
    Prison food in case the insurance company think your trying to swindle them and they get the police involed.

You say 600 for 1 insurance and 500 for the other insurance is the max limit per item lost.

You lost a 1500 item and 1 insurance company has paid out 600 or 500(max limit per item) and now you are going to try and claim the max limit of 500 or 600 from the other company is that correct?

So if you win both claims you get max of 1,100 payout less both excesses so all in all not a bad payout and it's better than a kick up the backside on wet Monday.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Jun 19, 3:48 PM
    • 4,155 Posts
    • 5,568 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:48 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 3:48 PM
    Also remember that you will have to declare 2 claims, not one, in future
    • andrew957
    • By andrew957 13th Jun 19, 12:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andrew957
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 12:37 PM
    Prison food in case the insurance company think your trying to swindle them and they get the police involed.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    I will be up-front with both that I have other insurance.

You say 600 for 1 insurance and 500 for the other insurance is the max limit per item lost.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    One policy has a 600 per-item limit, the other has a 500 per-item limit.

I think it's worth considering how you come across on the internet, as you haven't added anything positive to the discussion. You made a rather silly remark and then asked questions that were answered in my original post.

It isn't constructive and deters people from wanting to post in the forum.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 19, 1:20 PM
    • 40,488 Posts
    • 24,533 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 1:20 PM
    Also remember that you will have to declare 2 claims, not one, in future
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Which travel insurance company asks for previous claim history,??
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 13th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 772 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 3:08 PM
    I think it's worth considering how you come across on the internet, as you haven't added anything positive to the discussion. You made a rather silly remark and then asked questions that were answered in my original post.

It isn't constructive and deters people from wanting to post in the forum.
    Is it because it is not what you want to hear?

You have been paid out 600 or 500 (you did not mention how much) so going by your post you can now only claim the other 500 or 600 to make a maximum payout of 1,100 from the 2 insurance policy's that you have.

Quentin. Maybe packaged bank/credit card policy's have T&C's where you have to tell them that you have made a claim before they auto renew every year that you are with these bank's or card companies as if not then anybody could make at least 1 claim a year against the policy.
    • Chickenlips
    • By Chickenlips 13th Jun 19, 7:35 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Chickenlips
    Do you have cover for personal possessions on your home insurance and does it cover you abroad? Admittedly, the value of the claim may be wiped by the premium increase over the next few years but could assist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,564Posts Today

7,526Users online

Martin's Twitter