Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martysams
    • By martysams 10th Jun 19, 9:55 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    martysams
    NHS over-payment
    • 10th Jun 19, 9:55 AM
    NHS over-payment 10th Jun 19 at 9:55 AM
    Hi there

Back in the early to mid 2000s I worked for the Royal Derby Hospital (in Derby) for a number of years. Upon leaving the job I was mistakenly paid my final wage of roughly 1,000 twice. At the time I was young and broke and so did not declare the over-payment. Unsurprisingly I eventually received a letter from the hospital asking for the money back. I agreed a repayment plan and have been paying off the money on a monthly basis.

Cut to nearly ten years later- multiple house moves, city moves and lost documents I have no idea how much I still owe. I can calculate roughly how much I have repaid but can no longer recall how much exactly I owed in the first place. My payslips and the letters in which I agreed the repayment plan are long gone and I cannot find any relevant contact details online to try and speak with someone about this. Furthermore I had a small pension with the NHS and can find no way of finding out any details about this. I have put my details into the query form on the NHS Payroll website but it seems this is for current employees only. The Royal Derby Hospital website also has no relevant contact details.

I want to ensure I repay the amount owed but am of course keen not to pay more than this. The repayments are via standing order and so the hospital cannot cancel the payments and have no way of contacting me as me details have changed numerous times. I do not want to cancel the SO and risk a CCJ etc.

Any advice on who to contact in regards to these issues would be greatly appreciated.

For clarity, I am very much aware that these issues stem from my own actions/inaction and I am suitably embarrassed about this.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 11,880 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:00 AM
    Hi there

Back in the early to mid 2000s I worked for the Royal Derby Hospital (in Derby) for a number of years. Upon leaving the job I was mistakenly paid my final wage of roughly 1,000 twice. At the time I was young and broke and so did not declare the over-payment. Unsurprisingly I eventually received a letter from the hospital asking for the money back. I agreed a repayment plan and have been paying off the money on a monthly basis. - how much per month? 120 payments for 1000, that's 8 a month.

Cut to nearly ten years later- multiple house moves, city moves and lost documents I have no idea how much I still owe. I can calculate roughly how much I have repaid but can no longer recall how much exactly I owed in the first place. My payslips and the letters in which I agreed the repayment plan are long gone and I cannot find any relevant contact details online to try and speak with someone about this. Furthermore I had a small pension with the NHS and can find no way of finding out any details about this. I have put my details into the query form on the NHS Payroll website but it seems this is for current employees only. The Royal Derby Hospital website also has no relevant contact details. - 01332 340131; ask to speak to payroll

I want to ensure I repay the amount owed but am of course keen not to pay more than this. The repayments are via standing order and so the hospital cannot cancel the payments and have no way of contacting me as me details have changed numerous times. I do not want to cancel the SO and risk a CCJ etc. - How much a month are you paying? I cant imagine that you owe anything.

Any advice on who to contact in regards to these issues would be greatly appreciated.

For clarity, I am very much aware that these issues stem from my own actions/inaction and I am suitably embarrassed about this.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by martysams

Well relax. I cant see this going anywhere
    • martysams
    • By martysams 10th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    martysams
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:21 AM
    Thanks for the quick response!

I have been paying back just 5 per month but I believe I was paying significantly more than this to begin with. Unfortunately my bank statements don't go back far enough for me to see the entire repayment history.

I will call the number for the hospital but I have been told that NHS payroll is handled on a national level rather than local. This was just word of mouth though. Hopefully the info is wrong an the is a department at the hospital who can help or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks again, all appreciated.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Jun 19, 10:33 AM
    • 9,898 Posts
    • 11,880 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:33 AM
    • 10th Jun 19, 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the quick response!

I have been paying back just 5 per month but I believe I was paying significantly more than this to begin with. Unfortunately my bank statements don't go back far enough for me to see the entire repayment history.

I will call the number for the hospital but I have been told that NHS payroll is handled on a national level rather than local. This was just word of mouth though. Hopefully the info is wrong an the is a department at the hospital who can help or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks again, all appreciated.
    Originally posted by martysams

No, NHS payroll is not a national scheme, never has been, never will be. It may be outsourced to SBS who handle a number of accounts, but it's a handful of the 1.4m staff
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 10th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 10th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    Contact the hospital as Comms69 suggests. Many trusts have a payroll liaison officer (within HR or the Finance dept.) even if payroll is outsourced. Ask to speak to them.

I've had experience of dealing with NHS overpayments (from both sides of the fence) and if I were you, I would definitely want an update on the situation. Where staff have left and have an agreed repayment plan, I have known over-payments to be over-recovered.
    • martysams
    • By martysams 10th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    martysams
    • 10th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 1:04 PM
    Thank you.

Very helpful. I'll call them today.
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 13th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 6,278 Thanks
    milliemonster
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:23 PM
    as for your pension just go onto the NHSBSA website and input your NI number it will bring up your pension details
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,998Users online

Martin's Twitter